Mailing List Archive

Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] cvs commit: handbook-ia64.xml ...
vapier wrote:
> vapier 06/09/03 05:02:44
>
> Added: handbook-ia64.xml hb-install-ia64-bootloader.xml
> hb-install-ia64-disk.xml hb-install-ia64-kernel.xml
> hb-install-ia64-medium.xml
> Log:
> initial import of ia64 handbook

The docs about IA64 (and arm) are much appreciated, but are we supposed mop up
after the files have been dumped in /doc/en/handbook?
I put arm between parenthesis because I am aware of a lost email about it.

Why do we now have IA64 arch-specific files?
Have those 2 new handbooks been omitted from the handbook index.xml and
metadoc on purpose because they are not ready yet or were we supposed to
discover them by accident and index them?

Wkr,
--
/ Xavier Neys
\_ Gentoo Documentation Project
Re: Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] cvs commit: handbook-ia64.xml ... [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 03 September 2006 08:30, Xavier Neys wrote:
> vapier wrote:
> > vapier 06/09/03 05:02:44
> >
> > Added: handbook-ia64.xml hb-install-ia64-bootloader.xml
> > hb-install-ia64-disk.xml
> > hb-install-ia64-kernel.xml hb-install-ia64-medium.xml
> > Log:
> > initial import of ia64 handbook
>
> The docs about IA64 (and arm) are much appreciated, but are we supposed mop
> up after the files have been dumped in /doc/en/handbook?
> I put arm between parenthesis because I am aware of a lost email about it.
> Why do we now have IA64 arch-specific files?
> Have those 2 new handbooks been omitted from the handbook index.xml and
> metadoc on purpose because they are not ready yet or were we supposed to
> discover them by accident and index them?

i sent an e-mail about both handbooks but it looks like both fucking things
have been dropped on the floor

i'm not expecting anyone else to do work for me; i wasnt going to add them to
the handbook index until i got feedback and people are happy with them
-mike
Re: Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] cvs commit: handbook-ia64.xml ... [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger wrote:

Funny, I received the ML one hours later after the personal one.

> On Sunday 03 September 2006 08:30, Xavier Neys wrote:
>> vapier wrote:
>>> vapier 06/09/03 05:02:44
>>>
>>> Added: handbook-ia64.xml hb-install-ia64-bootloader.xml
>>> hb-install-ia64-disk.xml
>>> hb-install-ia64-kernel.xml hb-install-ia64-medium.xml
>>> Log:
>>> initial import of ia64 handbook
>> The docs about IA64 (and arm) are much appreciated, but are we supposed mop
>> up after the files have been dumped in /doc/en/handbook?
>> I put arm between parenthesis because I am aware of a lost email about it.
>> Why do we now have IA64 arch-specific files?
>> Have those 2 new handbooks been omitted from the handbook index.xml and
>> metadoc on purpose because they are not ready yet or were we supposed to
>> discover them by accident and index them?
>
> i sent an e-mail about both handbooks but it looks like both fucking things
> have been dropped on the floor

Yeah, looks like it's occurring more and more often :(
If i didn't know better, I'd say our mail is handled on the same box as
bugzilla :)

> i'm not expecting anyone else to do work for me; i wasnt going to add them to
> the handbook index until i got feedback and people are happy with them
> -mike

Nice. Thanks.
If you need help to get rid of the 4 ARCH-specific files, you know where to ask.
Any bitching about the hb*x86+amd64*xml file names will be ignored :)

Wkr,
Re: Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] cvs commit: handbook-ia64.xml ... [ In reply to ]
On Monday 04 September 2006 07:02, Xavier Neys wrote:
> Funny, I received the ML one hours later after the personal one.

which is why i left you in the cc ;)

> > i'm not expecting anyone else to do work for me; i wasnt going to add
> > them to the handbook index until i got feedback and people are happy with
> > them
>
> Nice. Thanks.
> If you need help to get rid of the 4 ARCH-specific files, you know where to
> ask. Any bitching about the hb*x86+amd64*xml file names will be ignored :)

so you're trying to merge all the arches into one ? seems like a good idea
for some (the cd based arches have a lot in common) but pointless for others
(the bootloader pages have very little in common with any other arch)

so for the bootloader page you'd end up with like
<title>
<if arch == x86>
<x86 stuff>
<elif arch == ia64>
<ia64 stuff>
<elif arch == arm>
<arm stuff>
<endif>
<footer>
might as well just keep them sep
-mike
Re: Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] cvs commit: handbook-ia64.xml ... [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger wrote:
> so you're trying to merge all the arches into one ? seems like a good idea
> for some (the cd based arches have a lot in common) but pointless for others
> (the bootloader pages have very little in common with any other arch)

Only in places where it makes sense, don't worry :).

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
Re: Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] cvs commit: handbook-ia64.xml ... [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 04 September 2006 07:02, Xavier Neys wrote:
>> If you need help to get rid of the 4 ARCH-specific files, you know where to
>> ask. Any bitching about the hb*x86+amd64*xml file names will be ignored :)
>
> so you're trying to merge all the arches into one ? seems like a good idea
> for some (the cd based arches have a lot in common) but pointless for others
> (the bootloader pages have very little in common with any other arch)

I am not most certainly not trying to merge them all back into the mess we had
before the ARCH-split.
Only the very similar ones can be merged. x86 and AMD64 were almost identical,
and you so is IA64, same tools, terminology (e.g. partitions, not slices),
partitioning plans, structure...

*bootloader*, very different on all other arches, not mergeable

*kernel*, might be worth a look, main differences are genkernel (yes|no),
kernel names & location of compiled one. The list of required kernel options
might lead to a lengthy series of code samples, though.

*disk*, partitions vs. slices, partitioning plans are all different, common
bits in those files are low-maintenance, not mergeable.

*medium*, looks like some could be merged.