Mailing List Archive

Regarding handbook/draft/complete
Hi all,

Some of you might have noticed that I committed a lot of new files in the
CVS repo under [gentoo]/xml/htdocs/doc/en/handbook/draft/complete. What
you see there is an idea I had regarding the/a Gentoo Handbook which
focusses on something entirely different from our current Gentoo Handbook.

Currently, the Gentoo Handbook is meant to provide Gentoo-specific, static
information to the end user. Such information, like the installation
instructions, Portage stuff, init scripts, ... is not interesting for
non-Gentoo users. Even more, Gentoo users only have "limited" need of this
document: it only contains the Gentoo-specific aspects.

That isn't a bad thing. It keeps the documentation coherent and easier to
maintain, something we noticed over the last few months where handbook
changes have become less and less frequent. However, many users are
missing a Gentoo-centered Linux-general document.

This is what the new draft attempts to become: a full handbook covering
various technologies that Linux (the operating system) offers to its
users, using Gentoo Linux as the glue to help users install and maintain
their system.

As such a handbook is dangerous to develop (as many technologies grow and
develop over months while writing such a handbook takes at least another
year), the style in which the handbook is written should be more
explanatory and less tutorial-based. This means that the step-by-step
examples should be minimized, but that the technologies behind it should
be clearly documented and well explained.

The current draft is not finished, only one-and-a-half part is filled in
and many will follow. I want to ask all of you to take a look and state
your opinions on it. I also want you to help out writing this book: if you
know any interesting technologies that will remain apparent in the Linux
OS even in one year, do write on it.

Personally, I think that I'll first write separate guides on the subjects
(which will be step-by-step) after which I create a chapter in the
handbook that covers the technology without going too deeply in the
step-by-step instructions.

I want this to be clear: the handbook should *not* cover the commands in
great detail but rather help the reader find out what is possible with
Linux, understand the technology and be able to search for the specific
documentation on the Internet.

For instance, the LVM2 documentation in the handbook should cover the
essentials of LVM2: the logical, abstract idea behind it (separation of
physical versus logical), features (like snapshotting) with examples how
easy it is to create such setups (yes, examples are important) but not
with a complete white paper on a specific setup. Difficult topics that are
well documented elsewhere should be mentioned but not copied (think LVM2
for root file system).

My asbestos suit is in place, my fingers are well protected with hardened
steel gloves to counter Yoswink's knife and I have my cookies at hand to
get enough sugar to survive this thread.

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen
Re: Regarding handbook/draft/complete [ In reply to ]

This sounds intriguing. Certainly wireless networking and nVidia graphics cards
will still be around; I'll look into contributing something in those areas, as
they have always fascinated me (and sometimes been informative, aggravating
tasks to properly set up!). Best of luck, and thanks for the great material so
far. :)

PS: Though the very idea of an "in-print" Gentoo book is in many ways absurd, as
Gentoo is unique among Linux distros for its generally faster-paced, evolving
nature, these draft handbooks present the best possible approach to actually
publishing a "dead tree" Gentoo guide--something that would be a first for the
distro, AFAIK. Given Gentoo's rapidly changing nature (e.g. fundamental pieces
like Portage and baselayout), the need for a paper Gentoo book might seem
obviated. But I'm strangely attracted to the idea. It seems more doable now that
the draft handbooks have less of a specific Gentoo emphasis. I'd certainly be
interested in seeing Gentoo documentation in print!

Re: Regarding handbook/draft/complete [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Josh wrote:

> PS: Though the very idea of an "in-print" Gentoo book is in many ways absurd, as
> Gentoo is unique among Linux distros for its generally faster-paced, evolving
> nature, these draft handbooks present the best possible approach to actually
> publishing a "dead tree" Gentoo guide--something that would be a first for the
> distro, AFAIK. Given Gentoo's rapidly changing nature (e.g. fundamental pieces
> like Portage and baselayout), the need for a paper Gentoo book might seem
> obviated. But I'm strangely attracted to the idea. It seems more doable now that
> the draft handbooks have less of a specific Gentoo emphasis. I'd certainly be
> interested in seeing Gentoo documentation in print!

Over a year ago, I worked on writing some style sheets that could be used
with xsltproc to convert the GuideXML documents to LyX format. Then I did
various editing and formatting to work on a print format. (It is a lot of
work to convert to a book format; the GuideXML is great for HTML and web
though.)

I also heard from someone who also was working on making the handbook into
a print format. But now that over a year has passed, I guess not.

One problem I had was that the content (at that time) was constantly
changing. It was too time consuming for me to merge in my changes,
regenerate the LyX from the GuideXML each time (especially since that
would mean losing my later changes), or manually editing both my LyX files
and my copies of the orginal GuideXML files.

A couple things that would help me:

- have a consistent release of the handbook to base it on (like 2005.1);
and have a freeze period where I know the handbook would not be updated
(except for critical fixes). Then plan for that, such as the print book
will be available (already printed) for 2006.2 (second quarter) by April
1.

- access to real CVS, so I don't have to use web-based CVS or tarballs to
merge changes. (Is there publically-available anonymous cvs yet?)

It would be good to survey to see if there is a potential market. Do we
know at least 100 people would purchase the book? 1000 people? Since
Gentoo already has a defined community, this would be easy to find out.

Another thing to consider is to make a list of concepts or objectives
publically available from the LPI and the BSD Certification Group
(ignoring the BSD specific) to see if any "important" areas are missing
from the Gentoo (to-be) printed book.

Jeremy C. Reed

http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/
Re: Regarding handbook/draft/complete [ In reply to ]
Josh wrote:

> PS: Though the very idea of an "in-print" Gentoo book is in many ways absurd, as
> Gentoo is unique among Linux distros for its generally faster-paced, evolving
> nature, these draft handbooks present the best possible approach to actually
> publishing a "dead tree" Gentoo guide--something that would be a first for the
> distro, AFAIK. Given Gentoo's rapidly changing nature (e.g. fundamental pieces
> like Portage and baselayout), the need for a paper Gentoo book might seem
> obviated. But I'm strangely attracted to the idea. It seems more doable now that
> the draft handbooks have less of a specific Gentoo emphasis. I'd certainly be
> interested in seeing Gentoo documentation in print!

What about a periodical? I'd subscribe.

Regards,
Mike
Re: Regarding handbook/draft/complete [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Michael A. Smith wrote:

> > interested in seeing Gentoo documentation in print!
>
> What about a periodical? I'd subscribe.

That's an interesting idea.

Are you thinking about a print newsletter or print magazine?

How often? Maybe quarterly? Or twice a year or more frequent?

A print newsletter four times a year seems like a great and do-able idea.
It could include:

- content direct from the website (reformatted for print)

- new how-to guides or articles (new Gentoo documentation)

- and news items in the Gentoo project and Gentoo community since the last
print edition

What do you think a periodical should include?

For a few years in the 1990's, I published several print newsletters
(covering high school basketball recruiting). I would enjoy publishing a
print newsletter covering open source software.

Although, it may be hard to find enough paying subscribers to pay for the
printing and distribution (postage, etc.) and manual labor (if not
volunteer). Maybe some members of the Gentoo community could offset some
of the costs with advertising.

Jeremy C. Reed
http://www.reedmedia.net/

Re: Regarding handbook/draft/complete [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 09:28 -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> - have a consistent release of the handbook to base it on (like 2005.1);
> and have a freeze period where I know the handbook would not be updated
> (except for critical fixes). Then plan for that, such as the print book
> will be available (already printed) for 2006.2 (second quarter) by April
> 1.

There will not be a 2006.2, ever. We switched to bi-annual releases
last year. The first release is the first quarter, the second release
is the third quarter.

Part of the problem with freezing the Handbook is that every release, we
improve the media in various ways, from adding further hardware support
to streamlining processes.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
Re: Regarding handbook/draft/complete [ In reply to ]
Josh said:
> PS: Though the very idea of an "in-print" Gentoo book is in many ways
> absurd, as Gentoo is unique among Linux distros for its generally
> faster-paced, evolving nature, these draft handbooks present the
> best possible approach to actually publishing a "dead tree" Gentoo
> guide--something that would be a first for the distro, AFAIK. Given
> Gentoo's rapidly changing nature (e.g. fundamental pieces like Portage
> and baselayout), the need for a paper Gentoo book might seem obviated.
> But I'm strangely attracted to the idea. It seems more doable now that
> the draft handbooks have less of a specific Gentoo emphasis. I'd certainly
> be interested in seeing Gentoo documentation in print!

Like someone else stated, I too have played with the thought of converting
the XML to something ready for publishing. In my test, I converted it to
LaTeX. An example output can be seen at
http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/tmp/handbook.pdf.

The process is quite automated although I do have to fix the LaTeX code
using a shell script before I start rendering it as PDF.

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen
Re: Regarding handbook/draft/complete [ In reply to ]
On 1/18/06, Sven Vermeulen <svermeulen@siphos.be> wrote:
> Like someone else stated, I too have played with the thought of converting
> the XML to something ready for publishing. In my test, I converted it to
> LaTeX. An example output can be seen at
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/tmp/handbook.pdf.
Very nice. May i take your code to try with Vietnamese handbooks? I'm
also learning ConTeXt, I might make a ConTeXt conversion someday if
capabable.

> The process is quite automated although I do have to fix the LaTeX code
> using a shell script before I start rendering it as PDF.
--
Bi Cờ Lao

Re: Regarding handbook/draft/complete [ In reply to ]
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Are you thinking about a print newsletter or print magazine?
>
> How often? Maybe quarterly? Or twice a year or more frequent?
>
> A print newsletter four times a year seems like a great and do-able idea.
> It could include:
>
> - content direct from the website (reformatted for print)
>
> - new how-to guides or articles (new Gentoo documentation)
>
> - and news items in the Gentoo project and Gentoo community since the last
> print edition
>
> What do you think a periodical should include?

I'd love to see a shiny sleek magazine about Gentoo, but I realize
that in the real world such things cost money and may not be
realistic. So that aside, I read a lot of Gentoo's documentation, and
I prefer to read it in print. So I'm always printing stuff out, which
means I'm spending money anyway. It might as well go to The Project.

I'm primarily interested in documentation, howtos, tutorials,
walkthroughs, that kind of thing. It changes frequently enough in
Gentoo to make it worthwhile to be a periodical.

:-)