Mailing List Archive

Fwd: Typo in http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-split-ebuilds.xml
---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Typo in http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-split-ebuilds.xml
Date: Sunday 01 January 2006 18:08
From: Matt Schneider <malaeum@gmail.com>
To: greg_g@gentoo.org

Just thought I'd try and help out =)

I don't know if it was intentionally left there as a little mark by the
author, but at one point the author refers to plural boxes as
"boxen" (good ol' german). Its in the paragraph here:

"Finally, installing all of KDE makes sense if you want to explore the
available packages or are setting up a multi-user environment; however,
most people use only some of the 300+ KDE apps available. Anyone who
really cares about compilation time, such as owners of older boxen, can
gain more time by selectively installing packages than they might lose
by the overhead incurred."

Matt Schneider
Materials Engineering Student
Purdue University
West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
(For those who wonder were that is, find the biggest
corn field you can, and I'm right in the middle of it)

matt@pascs.com
malaeum@gmail.com

"I don't believe in God. I don't believe in America.
I don't believe in rock-and-roll. I believe in me."

--Billy Corgan

<snip>
> I don't know if it was intentionally left there as a little mark by the
> author, but at one point the author refers to plural boxes as
> "boxen" (good ol' german). Its in the paragraph here:

I do believe boxen is accepted (albeit, not overly popular) usage in
Unix circles. See [1, 2]. The meaning is conveyed, regardless, IMO.

[1] http://dict.die.net/box/
[2] http://dict.die.net/boxen/
--
Arun Raghavan
(http://nemesis.accosted.net)

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 08:56:57 +0530
Arun Raghavan <arunisgod@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/2/06, Gregorio Guidi <greg_g@gentoo.org> wrote:

We'd better stay in proper english circles. :)
Arun Raghavan wrote:

> I do believe boxen is accepted (albeit, not overly popular) usage in
> Unix circles.

For what it's worth, perhaps not much, I think it's trite and puerile, but
there you are.

--
Rgds
Peter.