Mailing List Archive

Mark outdated translations as outdated
A second thing I am thinking about is to add a warning to all outdated
documentation. Outdated would mean that it's not accurate to the definition
in the Translators Howto [1].

The warning would constitute something like this:

<warn>
This translation is not up to date with the latest <uri
link="path/to/english.xml">English document</uri> conform the documentation
project's <uri link="path/to/accuracy.xml">Translation Accuracy
Guidelines</uri>. If you want to help us update this document, please
contact <mail link="lead@translator">Franky Oobar</mail>, the Bleh Lead
Translator, or file a <uri link="http://bugs.gentoo.org">bugreport</uri> and
attach an updated version.
</warn>

This would be translated first (we might want to store this translation
somewhere) and can easily be filled in. The warning would be put before the
first sentence (<p> entity) although I don't think we need to add a specific

This not only informs users about the not-so-updated documentation (which
reduces the number of mails sent to www@gentoo.org) but might also result in
more contributions (who knows).

We _can_ (but it's hackish) include the translation (which is two-fold) in
the inserts-${LANG}.xml file and add an attribute to the GuideXML format so we
can just include
<version outdated="yes">...</version>
which will automatically add in this warning (although the location may be
different here).

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gdp/doc/translators-howto.xml