Mailing List Archive

Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] cvs commit: faq.xml
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> the gender neutral pronoun in English is he, get over it

While I do agree that "him" is easier to read, it would be even simpler to
not use "him" at all.

This will add a user gentoo, will make possible to use
sound-related devices (<path>/dev/sound/*</path>), will make possible for
switching to root (using <c>su</c>) and will make
<path>/bin/bash</path> the login shell.

(The whole sentence above is a little unreadable either way. Probably
should be rewritten without the multiple "will".)

And the other cvs commit:
in the way it handles compiling and installing packages, very few Gentoo
Linux installations are identical. In essence, when a user installs
Gentoo Linux, the Portage system compiles a customized Linux distribution
conforming to the options specified.

(remove "him" from above.)

Jeremy C. Reed

open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/

Re: Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] cvs commit: faq.xml [ In reply to ]
On Monday 13 September 2004 10:44 pm, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > the gender neutral pronoun in English is he, get over it
>
> While I do agree that "him" is easier to read, it would be even simpler to
> not use "him" at all.

*shrug*
i performed a grep and replaced the matches i found

feel free to file a bug ... i know a few of our english docs were written by
non-native-english speakers so they could use some touch ups
-mike