If I find any other errors, I will let you know.

IRC: DistantStar

Tom
Re: Corrections [ In reply to ]
Thomas posted on Sat, 26 Nov 2011 06:30:57 -0800 as excerpted:

> I found a typo in the Documentation. This is for amd64 and x86.
>
> The error is in the code, "mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev"
>
> The above command, if assumed that the user enters them exactly that
> way,
> would give them an error. It was correctly written as "mount -o bind
> /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev" previously.

Thanks for the report.

Please file this as a bug, as that's easier to track thru to a fix than a
mailing list post that's all too easily read and forgotten about.
Remember, gentoo's a community distro run by volunteers. Sometimes,
"life happens". Regardless of whether that's a new baby or a new job or
a death in the family, or just more work than time, sometimes it's hard
to deal with a bug immediately, and having it filed as a bug instead of
only posted to a mailing list, helps keep the report from getting lost
and thus never fixed.

https://bugs.gentoo.org

But to make that bug easier to follow and fix when you do file it...

Please include a link to the page (there's a URL field in the bug, and
you can put the other one in a comment), and list the exact paragraph or
code number if possible.

The mount(8) manpage lists the --rbind olddir newdir option, so it should
be supported in general, which is why I went to check the context in
which it was used... and found no information about where I should look!
Perhaps it was a typo or something, or maybe the instruction is indeed
wrong in context, but it's pretty difficult to check if I don't know
where to look. =:^\

Anyway, thanks for the report. Please do file a bug with a link, etc.

(PS: Posting in HTML isn't really ideal. When you do post to mailing
lists, turning off HTML and using just plain text is appreciated as not
everyone uses an HTML capable mail reader and raw HTML coding is ugly and
hard to read. Thanks.)

Re: Re: Corrections [ In reply to ]
On 11/26/2011 05:00 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Thomas posted on Sat, 26 Nov 2011 06:30:57 -0800 as excerpted:
>
>> I found a typo in the Documentation. This is for amd64 and x86.
>>
>> The error is in the code, "mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev"
>>
>> The above command, if assumed that the user enters them exactly that
>> way,
>> would give them an error. It was correctly written as "mount -o bind
>> /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev" previously.
> Thanks for the report.
>
> Please file this as a bug, as that's easier to track thru to a fix than a
> mailing list post that's all too easily read and forgotten about.
> Remember, gentoo's a community distro run by volunteers. Sometimes,
> "life happens". Regardless of whether that's a new baby or a new job or
> a death in the family, or just more work than time, sometimes it's hard
> to deal with a bug immediately, and having it filed as a bug instead of
> only posted to a mailing list, helps keep the report from getting lost
> and thus never fixed.
>
> https://bugs.gentoo.org
>
> But to make that bug easier to follow and fix when you do file it...
>
> Please include a link to the page (there's a URL field in the bug, and
> you can put the other one in a comment), and list the exact paragraph or
> code number if possible.
>
> The mount(8) manpage lists the --rbind olddir newdir option, so it should
> be supported in general, which is why I went to check the context in
> which it was used... and found no information about where I should look!
> Perhaps it was a typo or something, or maybe the instruction is indeed
> wrong in context, but it's pretty difficult to check if I don't know
> where to look. =:^\
>
> Anyway, thanks for the report. Please do file a bug with a link, etc.
>
> (PS: Posting in HTML isn't really ideal. When you do post to mailing
> lists, turning off HTML and using just plain text is appreciated as not
> everyone uses an HTML capable mail reader and raw HTML coding is ugly and
> hard to read. Thanks.)

Thank you very much.

Before filing a bug report, I wanted to make sure what I saw was correct.

The webpage is listed here [1]. After checking the mount (8) man page, I
have seen the similar observation as you. I would have thought that the
command would have given the output of completion but it returned this
command was not found. I fortunately reinstalled Gentoo Linux in my
Desktop and ran into this few weeks ago.

I just wanted to make sure it's not only on my end as I didn't see any
reports of it in the bug tracker.

Oh, and your PS, I'm sorry. I was using the Gmail's native browser mail. :)
<http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=6>
[1]
Re: Re: Corrections [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 06:05:58PM -0800, Thomas M wrote:
> Before filing a bug report, I wanted to make sure what I saw was correct.
>
> The webpage is listed here [1]. After checking the mount (8) man page, I
> have seen the similar observation as you. I would have thought that the
> command would have given the output of completion but it returned this
> command was not found. I fortunately reinstalled Gentoo Linux in my
> Desktop and ran into this few weeks ago.

Hi Thomas,

If you got a "command not found" then it is not about the mount option, but
about the mount command.

The use of --rbind should work, it has been supported for quite some time
and I have not met any livecd/usb/dvd that had a too-old mount binary (and
I'm often testing quite a few of these).

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen
Re: Re: Corrections [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, November 27, 2011 09:34:30 AM Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 06:05:58PM -0800, Thomas M wrote:
> > Before filing a bug report, I wanted to make sure what I saw was correct.
> >
> > The webpage is listed here [1]. After checking the mount (8) man page, I
> > have seen the similar observation as you. I would have thought that the
> > command would have given the output of completion but it returned this
> > command was not found. I fortunately reinstalled Gentoo Linux in my
> > Desktop and ran into this few weeks ago.
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> If you got a "command not found" then it is not about the mount option, but
> about the mount command.
>
> The use of --rbind should work, it has been supported for quite some time
> and I have not met any livecd/usb/dvd that had a too-old mount binary (and
> I'm often testing quite a few of these).
>
> Wkr,
> Sven Vermeulen

Thanks. I noted it. I'll run the command in Virtualbox to test. From what
you're saying, it sounds like the error was on my end. :)

Thomas