Mailing List Archive

idea for more docs: document new portage features
I just noticed
<http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-896728-highlight-.html> and
thought it would be cool to document some of the new portage features.
Now that we have Sven on board, it should be possible!

I think you could ask Zac Medico about some summary of the features
maybe, and then just put some overview in the handbook.
Re: idea for more docs: document new portage features [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 5:52 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
<phajdan.jr@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I just noticed
> <http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-896728-highlight-.html> and
> thought it would be cool to document some of the new portage features.
> Now that we have Sven on board, it should be possible!
>
> I think you could ask Zac Medico about some summary of the features
> maybe, and then just put some overview in the handbook.

The output that portage gives when it is requiring specific USE
settings, license settings, ... is imo best mentioned in the "When
Portage is Complaining" [1] part of the Gentoo Handbook. This gives an
overview of all error (or warnings) that Portage gives while
attempting to install packages and is one place that users ought to
look for guidance.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap5

I'll see which messages need to be elaborated or mentioned and update
the handbook accordingly.

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen