Mailing List Archive

Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] gentoo commit in xml/htdocs/proj/en/gdp/doc: doc-tipsntricks.xml
On 12/06/10 12:24, Joshua Saddler (nightmorph) wrote:
> +<impo>
> +The exception to this rule is<path>/doc/en/metadoc.xml</path>. Metadoc should
> +<c>1.12</c>.
> +</impo>

Hi Josh, I've got a few questions for this one. First of all, I believe
it should read "not <c>2</c>" instead of 1.12. Also, what's the reason
for metadoc.xml being special? I assume it's because you can't be sure
that none of our XSLT stuff breaks, which is a fair concern.

I'll try to walk through them to see if I see an obvious error, but it's
gonna take some time. If someone else likes XSLT, please step up and go
ahead with checking, I'm simply offering my services here because I've
done some XSLT stuff based on gorg for my pet project a few years ago,
and I have feeling that nobody else has ever touched XSLT since Xavier
disappeared.

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
Re: Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] gentoo commit in xml/htdocs/proj/en/gdp/doc: doc-tipsntricks.xml [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 12:36:39 +0100
Jan Kundrát <jkt@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Hi Josh, I've got a few questions for this one. First of all, I
> believe it should read "not <c>2</c>" instead of 1.12.

Right, I'll fix this.

> Also, what's
> the reason for metadoc.xml being special? I assume it's because you
> can't be sure that none of our XSLT stuff breaks, which is a fair
> concern.

I mentioned a reason for this in my email to the list on the new
format. At this point, I'm more concerned with having a visual
reference to the extensive history of commits to metadoc.xml. Also, as
you said, any changes to metadoc run the risk of doing lots more
damage than a change made to a regular guide.

> I'll try to walk through them to see if I see an obvious error, but
> it's gonna take some time. If someone else likes XSLT, please step
> up and go ahead with checking, I'm simply offering my services here
> because I've done some XSLT stuff based on gorg for my pet project
> a few years ago, and I have feeling that nobody else has ever
> touched XSLT since Xavier disappeared.

I've done a little bit of stuff in our XSL over the years, but only
small changes. Nothing major. We definitely need someone who's
completely comfortable working with all aspects of our XSLT. Alec
(antarus) has been playing about with a copy of our repo for some
design work; he might be able to contribute a patch or two as issues
come up, if we ask really nicely.