plain emacs/vi?

Regards
Gunnar.
Re: How are the docs written? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Gunnar <gunnar@taljaren.se> wrote:
> Hello.
> I'm new on this list and I have a simple question, how is the docs written?
> Do you use any tools for generating the html or do you write it directly in
> plain emacs/vi?

Hi,

The Docs are written in GuideXML[1], an XML flavor designed for Gentoo
Documentation. You can use your favorite editor to write it.

It is rendered on the site using a tool called Gorg[2].

The Tips-n-Tricks[3] page gives more information on this.

I suggest you to carefully read through the Documentation[4] page as well.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xml-guide.xml
[2] http://www.neysx.org/mystuff/gorg/gorg.xml
[3] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-tipsntricks.xml
[4] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/

Regards
Nandeep
Re: How are the docs written? [ In reply to ]
Gunnar wrote:
> Hello.
> I'm new on this list and I have a simple question, how is the docs written?
> Do you use any tools for generating the html or do you write it directly in
> plain emacs/vi?
>
> Regards
> Gunnar.

Gentoo documentation is ultimately stored in a custom xml-based format
called GuideXML. You can find out more by checking out the
"Documentation Project Documentation" section of
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml

This does not mean that you can't submit documentation in other formats.
I'm fairly sure the project will accept documentation in HTML or plain
text and then have knowledgeable people convert it for you - however
this will obviously take more time.

On the above mentioned articles you'll also find instructions on pulling
down existing documentation from the source repo so that you can easily
edit existing documentation.

GuideXML isn't overly difficult to learn if you already know HTML. You
can get help on the #gentoo-doc IRC channel on Freenode (
irc://irc.freenode.net/gentoo-doc )

It's probably in the above mentioned documentation already, but as a
quick tip: on almost any page on www.gentoo.org you can add ?passthru=1
to the end of the URL and view GuideXML source for that page.

Hope that helps

AllenJB
Re: How are the docs written? [ In reply to ]
Gunnar escribió:
> Hello.
> I'm new on this list and I have a simple question, how is the docs written?

Docs are written in GuideXML format[1]

> Do you use any tools for generating the html

gorg can help you to generate the html. neysx used to have a guide about
how to set it up and configure it.[2]

> or do you write it directly in
> plain emacs/vi?

Use your favorite editor to edit/create gentoo docs, but ...

- notepad.exe via wine give you 10 extra points
- emacs used with only one hand, 15 extra points
- the always good 'ed', 20 extra points

Points can be transformed into polish beer, ask rane for more info.

Bye!

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xml-guide.xml
[2] http://gentoo.neysx.org/mystuff/gorg/gorg.xml

--