Is this possible ?

Regards,
Behzat.
Re: Handbook,Devbook,etc to PDF conversation [ In reply to ]
Behzat Erte wrote:
> I still searching everywhere about this case but I do not have any
> solution yet.

It used to be possible some years ago, but nobody felt the need to
maintain the stylesheets, so nope, it isn't possible anymore.

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
Re: Handbook,Devbook,etc to PDF conversation [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Jan Kundrát <jkt@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Behzat Erte wrote:
>
>> I still searching everywhere about this case but I do not have any
>> solution yet.
>>

> It used to be possible some years ago, but nobody felt the need to maintain
> the stylesheets, so nope, it isn't possible anymore.
>
> Cheers,
> -jkt
>
> --
> cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
>
> But there should be plenty of ways to go html > pdf, like something like
this:

or saving and opening the html page in openoffice, then exporting to pdf,
or....... ?

-Doug
Re: Handbook,Devbook,etc to PDF conversation [ In reply to ]
Douglas Anderson wrote:
> But there should be plenty of ways to go html > pdf

We don't want to provide a PDF just "so that we have a PDF", so printing
a web page to PDF is not really an option.

If you want to improve your XSLT-FO skills, feel free to write the
stylesheets; if you manage to use only the technologies that are already
available on our web nodes (nope, we won't open HTML in OpenOffice,
thank you), we can give it a try.

But there's no point in generating "a PDF" without all fancy features
like a book-like layout, inter-document links etc.

Why do you *need* the PDF at all?

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
Re: Handbook,Devbook,etc to PDF conversation [ In reply to ]
Hello again,

I want to printing all related gentoo books and reduce to -really-
book. At this juncture PDF type is a example. May be it should be djvu
or something else type.

Regards,
Behzat.

Re: Handbook,Devbook,etc to PDF conversation [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Jan Kundrát <jkt@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Douglas Anderson wrote:
>
>> But there should be plenty of ways to go html > pdf
>>

> We don't want to provide a PDF just "so that we have a PDF", so printing a
> web page to PDF is not really an option.
>
> If you want to improve your XSLT-FO skills, feel free to write the
> stylesheets; if you manage to use only the technologies that are already
> available on our web nodes (nope, we won't open HTML in OpenOffice, thank
> you), we can give it a try.
>
> But there's no point in generating "a PDF" without all fancy features like
> a book-like layout, inter-document links etc.
>
> Why do you *need* the PDF at all?
>

> Cheers,
> -jkt
>
> --
> cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
>
> Jan, sorry I kind of overquoted in my last mail, I wasn't really replying
to you. Obviously gentoo isn't going to open pages in oo! I was saying to
Behzat that, for whatever reason, if he needs a one-off copy of the handbook
in PDF, there *are* a few ways to make it by going off the html version
instead of straight from guidexml to pdf.

-Doug
Re: Handbook,Devbook,etc to PDF conversation [ In reply to ]
Thanks Douglas,

I want to say this exactly.

Regards,
Behzat.

Re: Handbook,Devbook,etc to PDF conversation [ In reply to ]
> Jan, sorry I kind of overquoted in my last mail, I wasn't really
> replying to you. Obviously gentoo isn't going to open pages in oo! I was
> saying to Behzat that, for whatever reason, if he needs a one-off copy
> of the handbook in PDF, there /are/ a few ways to make it by going off
> the html version instead of straight from guidexml to pdf.

Assuming such a thing is possible and works as well as the HTML
generated from the original GuideXML, then scripts that do this would be
appreciated.

Right now the closest thing you'll get to a "print" layout is the one we
made that's suitable for, well, printing:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?style=printable&full=1

Append ?style=printable&full=1 to the desired architecture. That's about
as far as we can go. If someone can turn this (or the original web
layout) into a *useful* PDF via scripts, please provide 'em.