future. The "use case" mindset.

I urge you all to sit down and hammer out real use case situations
instead of the idealistic "foo/bar/baz" concepts.
Re: GLEP 55 - The Long Thread [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:51:39 -0400
Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I urge you all to sit down and hammer out real use case situations
> instead of the idealistic "foo/bar/baz" concepts.

The use cases are stated rather clearly in the GLEP, which you clearly
didn't bother to read...

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Re: GLEP 55 - The Long Thread [ In reply to ]
Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:51:39 -0400
> Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> I urge you all to sit down and hammer out real use case situations
>> instead of the idealistic "foo/bar/baz" concepts.
>>

> The use cases are stated rather clearly in the GLEP, which you clearly
> didn't bother to read...

Concrete use cases instead of idealistic ones...
Re: GLEP 55 - The Long Thread [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:43:55 -0400
Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > The use cases are stated rather clearly in the GLEP, which you
> > clearly didn't bother to read...
> >
> Concrete use cases instead of idealistic ones...

What, new global scope functions is insufficiently concrete?

New global scope functions to replace versionator with something on the
package manager side.

New global scope functions to allow per-cat/pkg eclasses.

Take your pick.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Re: GLEP 55 - The Long Thread [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> There's a lot to be said about being stuck in the "grand design mindset". I
> know many Gentoo, Portage, Exherbo, and Paludis developers are clearly
> coming to that point in their programming careers based on the comments on
> this thread and other threads. I would just like to caution everyone that
> they really need to get past this plateau in their programming careers and
> get on to the real mindset that matters in the future. The "use case"
> mindset.

Georges Clemenceau once said : "War is too serious a matter to entrust
to military men". There surely is something to be said along these
lines about software design and programmers.

Denis.