Mailing List Archive

RFC: new 'virtualization' project or herd
Hi everyone

What do you think of creating a new 'virtualization' project or herd/team?

My initial motivation for this idea was that while libvirt is being
maintained by 'xen', it is not xen-specific anymore but also supports kvm,
qemu, lxc and openvz.

It would also make sense for other parts like the network setup (which is
pretty equal for xen, kvm, qemu and virtualbox: tun/tap combined with a
bridge or with routing & masquerading).

The idea is to collect the following package-"families":
- xen
- kvm
- virtualbox
- vmware
- qemu
- libvirt

and eventually also the following:
- vserver
- openvz

From my perspective it'd make sense to create a project in which we can also
provide documentation (currently maintained by the docs project), a
roadmap, comparison charts, etc.

So, what do you think?

Cheers,
Tiziano

ps It has been suggested to post this on -dev since it's about herds and
therefore about maintaining ebuilds.

Re: RFC: new 'virtualization' project or herd [ In reply to ]
Re: Re: RFC: new 'virtualization' project or herd [ In reply to ]
Re: Re: RFC: new 'virtualization' project or herd [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 16. May 2008, Tiziano Müller wrote:
> Mike Auty wrote:
> > As one of the primary vmware devs, I'm not sure that vmware easily
> > fits into this group based on it's closed-source nature, and the
> > complex (but just about workable) module system we've put in place. I
> > also wouldn't want to muddy the virtualization email address with all
> > the random vmware module bugs... 5:)
> >
> > I'm pretty happy for the vmware group to go under the virtualization
> > herd, but I'd very much like to maintain the vmware email
> > alias/assignment for bugs, and I'm not sure how much we'd be able to
> > integrate with the larger group. Do you think it's worthwhile vmware
> > joining the umbrella or should we just stay separate?
>
> That's true. How about having a virtualization project which takes care
> of the common part, the docs and the coordination (if any) and have
> separate herds for larger "subprojects"?

I have to agree here for the Xen part. One big alias for all packages will
only jam up everybody's mailbox.
So we keep the existing herds (vmware, xen) and maintain common packages
such as libvirt under a super-herd. Question is what happens with the
packages that are not part of any herd yet (such as virtualbox, qemu)?

Robert
Re: RFC: new 'virtualization' project or herd [ In reply to ]
Sorry that it took so long to answer, but I was quiet busy with real life.

Mike Auty wrote:

> Tiziano Müller wrote:
> | Hi everyone
> |
> | What do you think of creating a new 'virtualization' project or
> | herd/team?
>
> Sounds like a good idea, there seem to be enough packages to warrant it.
> ~ Especially if you're finding shared packages and space for integration
> of components.
Good :-)