Mailing List Archive

[RFC] Planning for the transition to EAPI="1" support

Hi everyone,

A number of people have been expressing desires to start using some
new extensions in the portage tree [1]. Due to popular demand, I'm
preparing a sys-apps/portage-2.1.3.12 release that will have support
for EAPI="1". The extensions planned for inclusion are SLOT
dependencies (#174405), IUSE defaults (#174410), and ECONF_SOURCE
support for the default src_compile function (#179380).

In order to accomplish this EAPI bump within a short time frame,
I've intentionally restricted the list of extensions to those that
are already implemented and relatively non-controversial [2]. We
could wait longer and include more features in our first EAPI bump,
but that route can lead to delays. Making a small bump now has the
advantage of allowing useful new extensions to be used in the tree
sooner. I expect sys-apps/portage-2.1.3.12 to be ready for release
tomorrow (Friday) or the day after.

An important thing to note is that repoman from any version of
portage less than 2.1.3.12 will be unable to work with ebuilds that
have EAPI="1" defined. If the EAPI is bumped even for just a single
version of a package, the latest version of repoman will be required
in order to generate a manifest for that package (which is required
for something like a KEYWORDS change). Similarly, in order for
repoman to do it's usual dependency QA checks, all dependencies need
to be satisfied by packages that have supported EAPIs. These
limitations are natural consequences that arises from that fact that
portage can not support a given EAPI until that EAPI has been
precisely defined.

Package maintainers should carefully consider the consequences
before defining EAPI="1" in the ebuilds for any packages that they
maintain. Once >=sys-apps/portage-2.1.3.12 has stable KEYWORDS and
all developers have upgraded, the above mentioned repoman
limitations will cease to be relevant for the transition to EAPI="1"
support.

For those that may wonder how an EAPI bump will affect normal users,
the answer it that it should be essentially transparent for them.
When emerge encounters a package with an unsupported EAPI, it
automatically masks it, much like it masks a package that doesn't
have compatible KEYWORDS. Users will not be able to take advantage
of a packages that use the latest EAPI until they have upgraded to a
version of portage that supports it. Versions of portage >=2.0.54
support EAPI="0", and if the EAPI variable is undefined then it
defaults to "0".

Lots of people seem to be in favor of getting this first EAPI bump
done as soon as possible. Additional feedback and questions are welcome.

Zac

[1] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_148244.xml
[2] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_148270.xml
Re: [RFC] Planning for the transition to EAPI="1" support [ In reply to ]
Re: [RFC] Planning for the transition to EAPI="1" support [ In reply to ]

Re: [RFC] Planning for the transition to EAPI="1" support [ In reply to ]
Zac Medico <zmedico@gentoo.org> posted 4705654D.7090102@gentoo.org,
excerpted below, on Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:12:29 -0700:

> Due to popular demand, I'm preparing a sys-apps/portage-2.1.3.12 release
> that will have support for EAPI="1". The extensions planned for
> inclusion are SLOT dependencies (#174405), IUSE defaults (#174410), and
> ECONF_SOURCE support for the default src_compile function (#179380).

What about news? It has been implemented but ran into a bug (portage
hadn't fully implemented the news reader, IIRC) the first time someone
tried to actually deploy it. Is that too controversial or has portage
still no full implementation?

I'm sure you've not forgotten about it and not pressin' if it's not
ready, as I agree with the "release early, release often" idea, just
askin', as I've not seen anything on it in awhile and as a user, the
feature would be nice to have. =8^)

Or is it part of API-0 now, and implemented, just not yet used?

Re: Re: [RFC] Planning for the transition to EAPI="1" support [ In reply to ]
Duncan kirjoitti:
> Zac Medico <zmedico@gentoo.org> posted 4705654D.7090102@gentoo.org,
> excerpted below, on Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:12:29 -0700:
>
>> Due to popular demand, I'm preparing a sys-apps/portage-2.1.3.12 release
>> that will have support for EAPI="1". The extensions planned for
>> inclusion are SLOT dependencies (#174405), IUSE defaults (#174410), and
>> ECONF_SOURCE support for the default src_compile function (#179380).
>
> What about news? It has been implemented but ran into a bug (portage
> hadn't fully implemented the news reader, IIRC) the first time someone
> tried to actually deploy it. Is that too controversial or has portage
> still no full implementation?

News don't have much to do with EAPI.

Regards,
Petteri
Re: Re: [RFC] Planning for the transition to EAPI="1" support [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 23:34:14 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:

> Zac Medico <zmedico@gentoo.org> posted 4705654D.7090102@gentoo.org,
> excerpted below, on Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:12:29 -0700:
>
> > Due to popular demand, I'm preparing a sys-apps/portage-2.1.3.12
> > release that will have support for EAPI="1". The extensions planned
> > for inclusion are SLOT dependencies (#174405), IUSE defaults
> > (#174410), and ECONF_SOURCE support for the default src_compile
> > function (#179380).
>
> What about news? It has been implemented but ran into a bug (portage
> hadn't fully implemented the news reader, IIRC) the first time
> someone tried to actually deploy it. Is that too controversial or
> has portage still no full implementation?

Problem is that nobody feels responsible for eselect anymore, so nobody
takes care of bug #179064 (and I'm not going to play catchup games
with externally hosted code).

Marius
Re: [RFC] Planning for the transition to EAPI="1" support [ In reply to ]
Marius Mauch <genone@gentoo.org> posted
20071005042650.eddb739d.genone@gentoo.org, excerpted below, on Fri, 05
Oct 2007 04:26:50 +0200:

[discussing GLEP-42/News]

> Problem is that nobody feels responsible for eselect anymore, so nobody
> takes care of bug #179064 (and I'm not going to play catchup games with
> externally hosted code).

Thanks. Few words went a long way...

Re: Re: [RFC] Planning for the transition to EAPI="1" support [ In reply to ]
On Friday 05 October 2007 04:26:50 Marius Mauch wrote:
> Problem is that nobody feels responsible for eselect anymore, so nobody
> takes care of bug #179064 (and I'm not going to play catchup games
> with externally hosted code).

eselect isn't externally hosted. The code is available from svn at:

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/eselect/

--
Bo Andresen
Re: Re: [RFC] Planning for the transition to EAPI="1" support [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 12:01:56 +0200
Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@zlin.dk> wrote:

> On Friday 05 October 2007 04:26:50 Marius Mauch wrote:
> > Problem is that nobody feels responsible for eselect anymore, so
> > nobody takes care of bug #179064 (and I'm not going to play catchup
> > games with externally hosted code).
>
> eselect isn't externally hosted. The code is available from svn at:
>
> http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/eselect/

I know. But eselect-news is currently externally hosted, and eselect is
more or less unmaintained (acccording to spb).

Marius

--
Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.