Mailing List Archive

Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project
Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project [ In reply to ]
Amazing! I hope I can help in this project and I guess that's a real way to
improve gentoo users' experience and to get involved lots of people in
gentoo (ubuntu learns that).

Cheers

Davide Italiano
Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 04:53:00 -0400
Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A group of our developers and i have felt the need of working around a
> new goal inside Gentoo: Graphical User Interfaces (GUI).
>
> Though Gentoo has been considered a very command line interface
> oriented system; we believe there is always room for new 'ways' of
> doing things in this distribution that helps our users to have a
> better Gentoo experience.
>
> Our main idea is to develop and collect all the necessary applications
> to offer GUI's (keeping Gentoo flexibility) for most of our system
> tasks, offering an alternative for those users who like these kind of
> interfaces.
>
> So we have started the Gentoo-GUI's project to work around the goal of
> making Gentoo more 'GUIzed' :-)
>
> Please visit the site http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/guis/ for further
> information. Note that we are just in the early stage of the project
> right now, but anybody is welcome to participate on what we currently
> have so far.

You should rename 'himerge' to YAPG (yet another portage GUI). Is there
a particular reason why you couldn't reuse one of the already
established ones (kuroo, porthole, portato, ...)?

Marius
Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project [ In reply to ]
Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project [ In reply to ]
On Monday 03 September 2007, Marius Mauch wrote:
> You should rename 'himerge' to YAPG (yet another portage GUI).

god no, please never let any Y* acronym soil Gentoo
-mike
Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project [ In reply to ]
what about A*? it's also a search algorithm you see.

Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project [ In reply to ]
On 04:53 Mon 03 Sep , Luis Francisco Araujo wrote:
> Our main idea is to develop and collect all the necessary applications
> to offer GUI's (keeping Gentoo flexibility) for most of our system
> tasks, offering an alternative for those users who like these kind of
> interfaces.

Please keep in mind all the GUI apps I added in
app-admin/system-config-* some time ago, so you don't need to duplicate
them.

Thanks,
Donnie
Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project [ In reply to ]
Re: Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project [ In reply to ]
Re: Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project [ In reply to ]
From what I can tell the goal is to make GUIs to programs like equery,
rc-update, eclean, etc., right? Is there a formal design process here,
or could we all just take a stab at it?

Ciao,
bg

Re: Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project [ In reply to ]

Jure Varlec wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I hope this post gets through, I just switched to using gmane, so
I'm sorry
> > if it gets posted incorrectly.
> >
> > I take it you intend to use GTK. May I suggest you also provide ncurses

Yes, we expect to use mainly either Gtk+ or Qt; though any toolkit
easily available on Gentoo would work too.

> > interfaces to your programs? I'm not sure how much additional work that
> > would be, as I don't program UIs. But an additional ncurses
interface would
> > provide users with the comfort of having the same tools available in
case
> > their Xorg fails for some reason, and on their X-less servers.

This project is focused on 'Graphical Interfaces' (hence its name);
therefore that's our main priority. Though a ncurse alternative could be
nice for some users, that would imply take other roads that we are not
willing to take, at least not yet. It could be possible in the future to
re-use part of our work for ncurses and terminal based interfaces , but
as i said, it is not our priority.

> > Also, if a user modifies a tool-managed config file, the tool
shouldn't get
> > confused, and vice versa. I'm sure that goes without saying on
Gentoo, but
> > since I've only used GUI tools on Mandrake and Ubuntu and this is where
> > they often fail, I feel the need to mention it. For example, Ubuntu's
> > network config tool often didn't match what ifconfig said about the
> > interfaces' status; I don't want to know what would happen to it if
I used
> > ifconfig to actually change configuration.

Designing a GUI involves many layers , and therefore, many ways of
communicating these layers .. it might sound an easy work, but in
practice it's tough to do it right.

One of this project's goals is to do it right on Gentoo systems.

Thanks and Regards,
- --

Luis F. Araujo "araujo at gentoo.org"
Gentoo Linux

Re: Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project [ In reply to ]
Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project [ In reply to ]
Luis Francisco Araujo wrote:

> himerge is not really new ; it's been around for a good while now.
>
> Its name stands for 'Haskell Interface for Emerge' ; plus i think some
> of those GUI's you are mentioning didn't exist when i started himerge or
> they don't offer all that himerge does.

http://www.haskell.org/himerge/himerge-screens/lasthimerge.png

Wow! Looks loverley.. /me logs onto #gentoo-haskell to bug araujo. ;P

Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project [ In reply to ]