Mailing List Archive

Re: Commitlog-mailinglist
Lars Weiler wrote:
> * Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@gentoo.org> [07/08/03 16:20 -0700]:
>
> Everything implemented :-P At least for all commits to
> gentoo-x86.
>
> Well, I reactivated the commitlog-script (quite the same we
> use for the gentoo-doc-cvs-list) and added some more
> Headers to it. Currently I'm testing it with messages sent
> to my own address as it seems that the old commit-list is
> deactivated.
>
> With the new VCS-server it should not cause any overhead and
> with a real MTA on that machine those messages will be
> queued even if our mailserver is not running.
>
> So, if you want, we can reactivate that list.

Pylon, you rock! Now that everything's working, let's get the -commits
list reactivated.

Thanks,
Donnie
Re: Commitlog-mailinglist [ In reply to ]
Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@gentoo.org>:
> > So, if you want, we can reactivate that list.
> Pylon, you rock! Now that everything's working, let's get the -commits
> list reactivated.

Yes, please. AOL.

V-Li

--
http://www.gentoo.org/
http://www.faulhammer.org/
Re: Commitlog-mailinglist [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 16:43 +0200, Lars Weiler wrote:
> * Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> [07/08/06 08:23 -0400]:
> > doit (and update lists.xml in the process)
>
> I can't. The list seems to be closed or limited to a
> special address. Furthermore it seems that our listmaster
> is either MIA or at LWE.

One thing to note.. If we do make mailing list for this. It should not
be archived in any such way. devs that subscribe to the mailing list
better not be storing mail in imap on infra resources.
We simply don't have that kinda spare space to mirror all
cvs commits 2-300 times.

--
Ned Ludd <solar@gentoo.org>

Re: Commitlog-mailinglist [ In reply to ]
* Ned Ludd <solar@gentoo.org> [07/08/06 08:01 -0700]:
> One thing to note.. If we do make mailing list for this. It should not
> be archived in any such way. devs that subscribe to the mailing list
> better not be storing mail in imap on infra resources.
> We simply don't have that kinda spare space to mirror all
> cvs commits 2-300 times.

It's a stupid idea to refuse storing of these messages on
woodpecker. There are still some devs out there who fetch
their mails from that machine than using imap or a forward.

During the two days of testing I received 359 emails with a
total size of 1.4MB. But this varies, especially during
phases of "please stabilise $Desktop-Engine".

Regards, Lars

--
Lars Weiler <pylon@gentoo.org> +49-171-1963258
Instant Messaging : pylon@jabber.ccc.de
Re: Commitlog-mailinglist [ In reply to ]
Lars Weiler kirjoitti:
> * Ned Ludd <solar@gentoo.org> [07/08/06 08:01 -0700]:
>> One thing to note.. If we do make mailing list for this. It should not
>> be archived in any such way. devs that subscribe to the mailing list
>> better not be storing mail in imap on infra resources.
>> We simply don't have that kinda spare space to mirror all
>> cvs commits 2-300 times.
>
> It's a stupid idea to refuse storing of these messages on
> woodpecker. There are still some devs out there who fetch
> their mails from that machine than using imap or a forward.
>
> During the two days of testing I received 359 emails with a
> total size of 1.4MB. But this varies, especially during
> phases of "please stabilise $Desktop-Engine".
>
> Regards, Lars

Well perhaps we should just look at the overall usage of the mail box
instead of how it's used. I think there is already some limit in our
policy for how big you can keep your mailbox.

Regards,
Petteri
Re: Commitlog-mailinglist [ In reply to ]
* Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@gentoo.org> [07/08/06 19:20 +0300]:
> Well perhaps we should just look at the overall usage of the mail box
> instead of how it's used. I think there is already some limit in our
> policy for how big you can keep your mailbox.

Last night some of us infra-folk had a chat in #gentoo-infra
about this commitlog-mailinglist. solar stated that the
ammount of messages in the dev-mailboxes was the reason to
shut down that list some years ago (I have to fetch my
archives to prove that -- AFAIR we only had troubles with
the script, as CVS moved away from our dev-box with local
mail-delivery to a dedicated server).

We thought about distributing the mails via a public
IMAP-box or via NNTP only.

But if that list is not too urgent, it might be the best
idea to produce an RSS-feed out of the commitlogs. Somebody
noted that we should include commits to other areas as well
and not those to the gentoo-x86 repository only. So, if you
can wait, I can search my minimalistic Perl-skillz and write
a script for creating the RSS-feed.

On the other hand we can just switch on the mailing-list and
see how it develops…

Regards, Lars

Re: Commitlog-mailinglist [ In reply to ]
On 08:28 Tue 07 Aug , Lars Weiler wrote:
> Last night some of us infra-folk had a chat in #gentoo-infra
> about this commitlog-mailinglist. solar stated that the
> ammount of messages in the dev-mailboxes was the reason to
> shut down that list some years ago (I have to fetch my
> archives to prove that -- AFAIR we only had troubles with
> the script, as CVS moved away from our dev-box with local
> mail-delivery to a dedicated server).

Hadn't heard that. The list disappeared with no explanation that I recall.

> But if that list is not too urgent, it might be the best
> idea to produce an RSS-feed out of the commitlogs. Somebody
> noted that we should include commits to other areas as well
> and not those to the gentoo-x86 repository only. So, if you
> can wait, I can search my minimalistic Perl-skillz and write
> a script for creating the RSS-feed.

If that's the way you'd like to go, it's worth noting that CIA already has
that capability. Some folks posted comments about this on my blog post on
quality, which you may want to check out.

We may need to set up a local CIA server though.

> On the other hand we can just switch on the mailing-list and
> see how it develops…

You could set it up kinda like the .spam folder currently -- just suggest
people use a standard folder name, supply a procmail recipe for them, and
then clean it out of older files once a week or whatever.

Thanks,
Donnie
Re: Commitlog-mailinglist [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 08:28 +0200, Lars Weiler wrote:
> * Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@gentoo.org> [07/08/06 19:20 +0300]:
> > Well perhaps we should just look at the overall usage of the mail box
> > instead of how it's used. I think there is already some limit in our
> > policy for how big you can keep your mailbox.
>
> Last night some of us infra-folk had a chat in #gentoo-infra
> about this commitlog-mailinglist.

> solar stated that the
> ammount of messages in the dev-mailboxes was the reason to
> shut down that list some years ago

No no. perhaps I was not clear enough. Sorry if that was the case.

I was alluding to more of it being a resource pig.. Which it is
of course.

We also discussed some possible solutions to make this not a resource
pig. I'm in favor of the 14-60 day archives and treat it much in the
same way we do for ~'/.maildir/.spam/ folders where we simply flush old
mails. I'll get a chance to meet up with taco and robbin tmw.. I do
hope to poke them to see where they stand on what they see as an
ideal solution.. Note that the primary dev mail checking server is
already sitting at ~2.00 loads.

Re: Commitlog-mailinglist [ In reply to ]
Ned Ludd a écrit :

> I was alluding to more of it being a resource pig.. Which it is
> of course.

Could it be done like mailman's Digest mail? With one mail every half
hour (or 15 minutes, whatever) instead of every single commit? Wouldn't
that help both load and storage on woodpecker?

> We also discussed some possible solutions to make this not a resource
> pig. I'm in favor of the 14-60 day archives and treat it much in the
> same way we do for ~'/.maildir/.spam/ folders where we simply flush old
> mails. I'll get a chance to meet up with taco and robbin tmw.. I do
> hope to poke them to see where they stand on what they see as an
> ideal solution.. Note that the primary dev mail checking server is
> already sitting at ~2.00 loads.

Sounds like a good plan too.

Rémi
Re: Commitlog-mailinglist [ In reply to ]
* Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@gentoo.org> [07/08/06 23:57 -0700]:
> Hadn't heard that. The list disappeared with no explanation that I recall.

It worked at the end of 2003. So it must have survived the
move to lark… But I can't find any announcement about
shutting down the list.

> If that's the way you'd like to go, it's worth noting that CIA already has
> that capability. Some folks posted comments about this on my blog post on
> quality, which you may want to check out.

Well, http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/gentoo/.rss shows the
CVS-commit-message only. Our goal is to include the diffs
for a distributed code-review, as discussed in the
parent-thread.

> We may need to set up a local CIA server though.

I quickly looked at CIA's source
(http://svn.navi.cx/misc/trunk/cia/), but can't find an
option to switch on showing the diffs.

Regards, Lars