Mailing List Archive

Nominations Update
Just a reminder about nominations and voting...
If anyone is still interested in running, you have one week left for
nominations.
Most who have accepted havent told us why we should vote for them. While
that information is not required perhaps it should be if we are to make
intelligent votes - sorry this isnt a popularity contest so give us some
content to review.

1) What you will do
2) Why you will do it
3) How you will do it
4) What is the timescale for doing it
5) What experience do you have with this or a similar role
6) Why do you think you are qualified
7) How you plan to balance a council role with your current Gentoo role
8) How much time can you dedicate to the council role

Kind regards,
Christina Fullam
Gentoo Developer Relations Lead | GWN Assistant Editor

The below information is based off the information on this site:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/voting-logs/council-2007-nominees.xml
If any information is incorrect, please let me know so it may be corrected.

Those who have yet to accept or decline (lack of acceptance by July 31
equals decline):
Steve Dibb beandog
Donnie Berkholz dberkholz
Daniel Drake dsd
Stefan Schweizer genstef
John Mylchreest johnm
Danny van Dyk kugelfang
Marien Zwart marienz
Joshua Saddler nightmorph
Seemant Kulleen seemant
Tavis Ormandy taviso
Zac Medico zmedico

Those who have accepted though havent sent information regarding why we
should vote for them:
(NeddySeagoon and wolf31o2 sent ideas to comment on, see above)
Wernfried Haas amne
Petteri Räty betelgeuse
Christel Dahlskjær christel
Tobias Scherbaum dertobi123
Diego Pettenò flameeyes
Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen jaervosz
Markus Ullmann jokey
Luca Barbato lu_zero
Roy Marples uberlord
Mike Frysinger vapier

Those who did send information for voters to review
(link to info provided on above URL):
Peter Weller welp
Re: Nominations Update [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 17:38 -0700, Christina Fullam wrote:
> Just a reminder about nominations and voting...
> If anyone is still interested in running, you have one week left for
> nominations.
> Most who have accepted havent told us why we should vote for them. While
> that information is not required perhaps it should be if we are to make
> intelligent votes - sorry this isnt a popularity contest so give us some
> content to review.

I've been nominated, and I've accepted (after bribery of beer :P). I'm
also a current Council member.

I'm not going to tell you why you should vote for me, as I'm not a
politician.
I'm not going to tell you what I'm going to do if I was voted back in
because I don't have a game plan as such.

And when it comes right down to it, it *is* a popularity contest. Or
rather who would you trust the most to make decisions you agree with. So
you're really voting for someone like-minded and is probably more
eloquent and vocal than yourself.

I've said my piece. You'll vote for me if you agree with my technical
decisions and you find yourself siding with me (even mentally) in the
few discussions I take part in on -dev and #-dev.

Thanks

Roy

Re: Nominations Update [ In reply to ]
Hello Roy!

> I've said my piece. You'll vote for me if you agree with my technical
> decisions and you find yourself siding with me (even mentally) in the
> few discussions I take part in on -dev and #-dev.

I can't say much about your technical decisions because I haven't
consciously seen any, I rarely see you take part in any discussions.

So your refusal to say anything about what you have in mind is rather
problematic to me and probably others.

On this basis, I can't and won't vote for you.

--
Best but rather irritated regards, Wulf

NB: Why should I vote for someone who doesn't even know *himself* why
he wants to be on the council and who's motivation was a free beer?
Re: Nominations Update [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 14:25 +0200, Wulf C. Krueger wrote:
> I can't say much about your technical decisions because I haven't
> consciously seen any, I rarely see you take part in any discussions.

Maybe that's because -dev wasn't a forum for technical discussion.
Hopefully that might change.

> So your refusal to say anything about what you have in mind is rather
> problematic to me and probably others.

What did you want me to say?
I don't have anything planned beyond what I already do (which is
baselayout, some base system foo, dhcpcd, Gentoo/FreeBSD on x86 and
sparc)

Or should I make up some crap just to get votes? Sorry, won't do that.

I *will* say that I will continue to work on what I'm doing to make
Gentoo a better place.

> On this basis, I can't and won't vote for you.

That's your prerogative.
You do know that we use a Condorcet voting system which means you rank
candidates instead of voting for them?

Thanks

Roy

Re: Nominations Update [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:25:56 +0200
"Wulf C. Krueger" <philantrop@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > I've said my piece. You'll vote for me if you agree with my
> > technical decisions and you find yourself siding with me (even
> > mentally) in the few discussions I take part in on -dev and #-dev.
>
> I can't say much about your technical decisions because I haven't
> consciously seen any, I rarely see you take part in any discussions.
>
> So your refusal to say anything about what you have in mind is
> rather problematic to me and probably others.
>
> On this basis, I can't and won't vote for you.

If you've not been paying attention to what Roy's been doing whilst on
the Council, perhaps you shouldn't be voting at all...

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Re: Nominations Update [ In reply to ]
Yesterday night I tried to reply but I was too tired...

Christina Fullam wrote:
> Just a reminder about nominations and voting...
> If anyone is still interested in running, you have one week left for
> nominations.
> Most who have accepted havent told us why we should vote for them. While
> that information is not required perhaps it should be if we are to make
> intelligent votes - sorry this isnt a popularity contest so give us some
> content to review.

Ok

> 1) What you will do

Probably I'll try my best to make sure what is decided in the council
will end up with something implemented, hopefully in a timely fashion,
no matter how unpopular may be perceived.
E.g.: push for getting an EAPI 1.1 with some nice stuff, like the IUSE
defaults, out asap and use them on the tree.

> 2) Why you will do it

Because I like to help and maybe I still have some sanity to invest into
this project

> 3) How you will do it

Basically trying to be balanced and to keep things on the technical
field. I like to offer alternative solutions but usually I try to pick
the best one (possibly not what I proposed, I'm an fan of the antiNIH
movement)

> 4) What is the timescale for doing it

"This is an opensource project, we deliver things when we feel it is
ready". I'll try my best to keep things going smoothly and that also
includes suggesting/changing leads in subprojects or have parallel
subprojects spawned to let people willing to do have their share of fun.

> 5) What experience do you have with this or a similar role

Messed with politics in my University, I'm a member of different
associations of different sizes with deciding roles of various degree

> 6) Why do you think you are qualified

Usually I try to get along with everybody and I try to let people know
when I'm biased towards something (being unbiased is too hard)

> 7) How you plan to balance a council role with your current Gentoo role

There aren't conflicts so far for my gentoo role and my outside roles
(e.g. me being an ffmpeg/mplayer developer)

> 8) How much time can you dedicate to the council role

Enough to be present, not enough to be annoying (hopefully)

Feel free to ping me on irc if you have questions ^^

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC