installing something and then using that to build something else. Is there a
standard way to do this?

Marijn

Re: multiple compile-install phases [ In reply to ]
Sunday, 17. June 2007, Marijn Schouten (hkBst) Ви написали:
> I've encountered a few cases where the build process requires building and
> installing something and then using that to build something else. Is there
> a standard way to do this?
I'd say - split the package in two (or how many pieces there are). Such
procedure implies that the parts are already well isolated, so the split
should not be that hard to do. Trying to force it "in one go" is not trivial
usually, unless what you are talking about is some bootstrap procedure.
However in that case there should be a certain way of "proper bootstrapping"
for the package described in its install docs.

George
Re: multiple compile-install phases [ In reply to ]
"Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I've encountered a few cases where the build process requires building
> and installing something and then using that to build something else.
> Is there a standard way to do this?

Perhaps you could build the build tools and install them to some
directory under the temporary build directory and use them from there by
adding that directory to $PATH or by calling them with full pathnames.

Do the build tools in question need to be installed along with the
desired end product, or are they nothing more than integrated build
prerequisites?

--
"Such things have often happened and still happen,
and how can these be signs of the end of the world?"
Re: multiple compile-install phases [ In reply to ]