etc I'll be back. Love the distro, but Jesus the politics and the bitching
gets out.

Just an observation from the outside.
Re: Are you guys for real? [ In reply to ]
Jayson Vaughn wrote:
> Ok,
> Gentoo is over. As an outsider who has been following gentoo-dev and
> other gentoo lists for a while, this is just completely nuts.
> Is there any order or clear idea anymore for this distro? No other
> distro seems to be as lost or confused as Gentoo is. And WTF is this
> list going to discuss development? Do you guys develop ANYTHING? Or Do
> you just bitch all day? Good bye Gentoo, when you grow up and know
> what your goals are etc I'll be back. Love the distro, but Jesus the
> politics and the bitching gets out.
>
> Just an observation from the outside.

Are you for real? Normally its the dev's who scream and rant on the way
out, not the users...
Re: Are you guys for real? [ In reply to ]
Re: Are you guys for real? [ In reply to ]
On 6/13/07, Jayson Vaughn <thedonvaughn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok,
> Gentoo is over. As an outsider who has been following gentoo-dev and other
> gentoo lists for a while, this is just completely nuts.
> Is there any order or clear idea anymore for this distro? No other distro
> seems to be as lost or confused as Gentoo is. And WTF is this list going to
> discuss development? Do you guys develop ANYTHING? Or Do you just bitch
> all day? Good bye Gentoo, when you grow up and know what your goals are
> etc I'll be back. Love the distro, but Jesus the politics and the bitching
> gets out.
>
> Just an observation from the outside.

kthxbai

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Throwing fresh
logs on the fire doesn't help (and neither did this email, but I had
to say it).
Re: Are you guys for real? [ In reply to ]
Re: Are you guys for real? [ In reply to ]
I don't agree. Gentoo is not over.

But, is hard to believe that gentoo are going to survive.

Fights, public discussions, complains about proctors, CoC draft, so
many good developers retiring and bad publicity (or fights in this
list are good thing?? )

Nowadays, this list looks more like a fight ring than a dev list.

I'm using gentoo for 4 years, I love emerge, I enjoy to be part of
gentoobr( Gentoo Brazilian community ), I'm always helping at gentoobr
and gentoo-chat. I really enjoy gentoo.

[]'s

Hélder

--
------------------------------------
Hélder Máximo Botter Ribas
Re: Are you guys for real? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:17:37 -0500
"Jayson Vaughn" <thedonvaughn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok,
> Gentoo is over. As an outsider who has been following gentoo-dev and
> other gentoo lists for a while, this is just completely nuts.
> Is there any order or clear idea anymore for this distro? No other
> distro seems to be as lost or confused as Gentoo is. And WTF is this
> list going to discuss development? Do you guys develop ANYTHING? Or
> Do you just bitch all day? Good bye Gentoo, when you grow up and
> know what your goals are etc I'll be back. Love the distro, but
> Jesus the politics and the bitching gets out.
>
> Just an observation from the outside.

If you watch cia.vc, you would see that Gentoo is more often than not
*the* most active project, surely this must be a sign of at least a
*little* bit of activity? Just 'cos a small minority of us love the
occasional flamewar here and there doesn't mean that the other >80% or
so developers suddenly lay down and die... silly.

Oh, also, some of us can bitch and develop at once. Y'know. We have
like 8 arms. And we control like 4 computers at once *nod*. Kinda like
this dude here:
http://www.watauga.k12.nc.us/hp/images/octopus_working_on_pc_hg_clr.gif
But with more computers. Yar.

Now, please stop all your flamebaiting, bitching, etc, etc. Thanks. :)

welp
Re: Are you guys for real? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:53:40 +0100
Peter Weller <welp@gentoo.org> wrote:

[..snip..]

> Oh, also, some of us can bitch and develop at once. Y'know. We have
> like 8 arms. And we control like 4 computers at once *nod*. Kinda like
> this dude here:
> http://www.watauga.k12.nc.us/hp/images/octopus_working_on_pc_hg_clr.gif
> But with more computers. Yar.
>
> Now, please stop all your flamebaiting, bitching, etc, etc. Thanks. :)
>
> welp

(BTW, I'm not sure if he's real or not...)
Re: Are you guys for real? [ In reply to ]
On 6/13/07, Jayson Vaughn <thedonvaughn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok,
> Gentoo is over.

Gentoo can't be over! I still have $10 riding on Gentoo having a
larger market share than Windows Vista in 5 years! I still think I
will win :)
-Codeman
Re: Are you guys for real? [ In reply to ]
On 6/14/07, Jayson Vaughn <thedonvaughn@gmail.com> wrote:

> etc I'll be back. Love the distro, but Jesus the politics and the bitching
> gets out.

From one non-dev to another:

You'll be back.

Once somebody has learnt the truth, most find they can only deny it
for so long. :)

I agree a lot of the discussions turn into bitchfests, and it seems
many of our developers are going out of their way as of late to stir
the pot, but its well known that a small minority of whiners gives the
majority a bad name( not to go into politics, but take a look at
muslims & christians in modern media, its always the extremists who
are out there making the rest of them look bad by carrying their name
)

Also, I guess if you went into the chambers of your local government
it would often escillate into flamewars, at least thats what I've
gathered from the media..( .. unless thats only a small minority of
politicians making the rest look bad.....)

But as a whole, at least in my opinion, you wont find a so well
structured community comprised with such a high percentage of people
who know what they're talking about. ( I find $OTHEROS rooms
frustrating as they're all full of the noobs asking questions with
nobody who knows the answer.. its like a damn MSDN blog reply
list....'liek..zomg!..vista is so cool' )

--
Kent
ruby -e '[.1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|
Re: Are you guys for real? [ In reply to ]
Dnia 14-06-2007, czw o godzinie 19:13 +1200, Kent Fredric napisał(a):
> Once somebody has learnt the truth, most find they can only deny it
> for so long. :)
>
> I agree a lot of the discussions turn into bitchfests,
You are feeding such discussions.
Developers do their job anyway. Just take a look at packages.gentoo.org
and visit bugzilla. Then end this stupid thread.
Thanks

--
,-----------------------------.
| Dawid Węgliński |
Re: Are you guys for real? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, Hélder Máximo Botter Riba wrote:
> I'm using gentoo for 4 years, I love emerge, I enjoy to be part of
> gentoobr( Gentoo Brazilian community ), I'm always helping at gentoobr
> and gentoo-chat. I really enjoy gentoo.

Who stole the double 'e' from the gentoobr?

/me opens another bottle

Cheers,
-jkt
Re: Re: Are you guys for real? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 13 June 2007 23:53:51 Markus Ullmann wrote:
> Some numbers to back Vlastimil up....
>
> > Yep there's still development going on, devs commit ebuilds and stuff.
>
> http://cia.vc/stats/project/gentoo
>
> > Also, as said many times, number of devs participating in flamewars here
> > is pretty low compared to number of all devs...
>
> considering
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/roll-call/userinfo.xml
> and
> http://archives.gentoo.org/stats/gentoo-dev-per-month.xml
> I really agree that most people are quiet ;)
>
> Greetz
> -jokey

nice stats - but how about commits per month to the big pool of gentoo
repositories? (mostly important the portage tree, of course ^^)

Christian.
Re: Are you guys for real? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 13 June 2007 23:46:01 Hélder Máximo Botter Ribas wrote:
> Nowadays, this list looks more like a fight ring than a dev list.
>
> I'm using gentoo for 4 years, I love emerge, I enjoy to be part of
> gentoobr( Gentoo Brazilian community ), I'm always helping at gentoobr
> and gentoo-chat. I really enjoy gentoo.

it feels really good to read ppl still enjoy things we all love in the end
anyway - although, a public list is what the public community contributing to
it is submitting. and if only the biatches between us have something to say
this way, then it still doesn't mean that *all* of us act like that.

regards,
Christian Parpart.
Re: Are you guys for real? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 11:23:49AM +0200, Jan Kundrat wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, Hélder Máximo Botter Riba wrote:
> > I'm using gentoo for 4 years, I love emerge, I enjoy to be part of
> > gentoobr( Gentoo Brazilian community ), I'm always helping at gentoobr
> > and gentoo-chat. I really enjoy gentoo.
>
> Who stole the double 'e' from the gentoobr?

Oh noes, Gentoo _is_ over then. ;-)

> /me opens another bottle

Just make sure it's beer-signed.

cheers,
Wernfried

--
Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne (at) gentoo.org
Gentoo Forums - http://forums.gentoo.org
Re: Are you guys for real? [ In reply to ]