ago. [1] Perhaps the USE flag should be changed to "wxwidgets" or
simply "wx" to reflect the change. Beside use.desc and affected
ebuilds, there is also a wxwindows herd.

[1] http://wxwidgets.org/about/name.htm
--
Nathan Smith
Gentoo/PowerPC AT
ndansmith@gmail.com
Re: Global USE flag change: wxwindows to wxwidgets? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 10:02 -0700, Nathan Smith wrote:
> I noticed that use.desc includes an entry for "wxwindows." The
> wxWindows project changed its name to "wxWidgets" around three years
> ago. [1] Perhaps the USE flag should be changed to "wxwidgets" or
> simply "wx" to reflect the change. Beside use.desc and affected
> ebuilds, there is also a wxwindows herd.

I see no hurry in changing the USE flag name, unless I can do it in
profile/updates so that it is updated in make.conf, package.use and so
on and on. Can I? I vaguely remember sometimes seeing etc-update having
updates to package.use, but I think those were for package moves, not
USE flag renames.
If I can't, a change in the USE flag name will disrupt users without
much necessity.

I should s/wxWindows/wxWidgets/ in the USE flag description though.

A herd name change would be less disruptive, as people (and mostly bug
wranglers at that) would have to just figure out they need to assign and
CC to wxwidgets@gentoo.org instead of wxwindows@gentoo.org then.
I planned to rename the herd at some point, but it got onto a backburner
with certain things being way behind in the wx world in Gentoo and it
not being too important compared to the technical things to solve.
Will probably have infra and bugzie guys take care of it later this
year, though, regarding the herd name...

Mart Raudsepp
Gentoo Developer (wxwindows and gnome herds)
Mail: leio@gentoo.org