use.local.desc:www-client/epiphany:xulrunner - Enable support for xulrunner instead of firefox

List is likely to grow in future.

Any objections?

- Samuli Suominen
Re: New global use flag, xulrunner [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 17:44 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> use.local.desc:dev-java/swt:xulrunner - Build native browser integration against xulrunner
> use.local.desc:dev-python/gnome-python-extras:xulrunner - Enable support for xulrunner instead of firefox
> use.local.desc:dev-util/devhelp:xulrunner - Enable support for xulrunner instead of firefox
> use.local.desc:gnome-extra/yelp:xulrunner - Enable support for xulrunner instead of firefox
> use.local.desc:media-video/totem:xulrunner - Enable support for xulrunner instead of firefox
> use.local.desc:net-news/liferea:xulrunner - Enable xulrunner as renderer in liferea
> use.local.desc:www-client/epiphany-extensions:xulrunner - Enable support for xulrunner instead of firefox
> use.local.desc:www-client/epiphany:xulrunner - Enable support for xulrunner instead of firefox
>
> List is likely to grow in future.
>
> Any objections?
>
> - Samuli Suominen

++ from gnome

Daniel

Re: New global use flag, xulrunner [ In reply to ]
Agreed from mozilla.

firefox and seamonkey already have the global use-flag
Re: New global use flag, xulrunner [ In reply to ]
Re: New global use flag, xulrunner [ In reply to ]
Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> Raúl Porcel wrote:
>> Agreed from mozilla.
>
>> firefox and seamonkey already have the global use-flag
>
> Is there any guideline from mozilla team about what to do when there are
> more than one of these flags (firefox/seamonkey/xulrunner) supported by
> package AND enabled by user? Some of those local flag descriptions
> suggest that USE="firefox xulrunner" results in using xulrunner (so it
> has higher priority). So is that recommended, and how about seamonkey?

Sorry, didn't saw this msg.

I don't know of any guideline. Anyway all apps should start to use
xulrunner, since that's what they really want instead of using firefox
or seamonkey. When ff-3.0 is released no app will be able to build
against ff, since ff will build against xulrunner. So, what i said, apps
should use xulrunner as primary option, now that xulrunner is up-to-date
and working fine.
Re: New global use flag, xulrunner [ In reply to ]
Re: New global use flag, xulrunner [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 15:13 +0200, Vlastimil Babka wrote:

> Well maybe I could've just read the USE flags descriptions closely and
> it would be clear to me that the preference order should probably be:
>
> xulrunner > firefox > seamonkey
>
> > xulrunner, since that's what they really want instead of using firefox
> > or seamonkey. When ff-3.0 is released no app will be able to build
> > against ff, since ff will build against xulrunner. So, what i said, apps
> > should use xulrunner as primary option, now that xulrunner is up-to-date
> > and working fine.
>
> We should probably fix
> profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0/desktop/make.defaults then (and
> possibly other profiles?), as it has only firefox in USE?

I'd vote to wait until ff 3.0 is in the tree. Firefox by default has
one big advantage at the moment: most people wanting something built
against gecko also want firefox (me being the exception, of course...)
so they don't want to have to build xulrunner too. It's not like we're
talking about cheap builds here.

Obviously, once ff deps on xulrunner, there's no choice. But I'd vote
against setting xulrunner as the default at this time.

Daniel