Mailing List Archive

Living in a bubble
This is problably going to start a flamewar, but I am sick of such
(insert appropriate term for animal excrements here) on mailing lists,
forums and even websites.

It's okay to have dreams, they keep us working on the things we like.
But trying to force your dreams to come true annoys other people. If a
Gentoo-developer cannot advocate the heart of Gentoo - i.e. Portage -
and keeps bitching about it, then he or she should probably consider
retiring completely from Gentoo and/or fork Gentoo.

In no case, he or she should be talking bullshit (oops, I wrote it) in
official Gentoo-channels. This appears to users and other uninvolved
people like a kindergarden.

The reason for my mail is the following excerpt (Jun. 5th, time CEST)

--8<------------
21:36 <@spb> next step is making paludis the officially supported
package manager on alpha
21:36 <@eroyf> yes
21:36 <@eroyf> like it is on mips
21:36 * eroyf giggles
21:36 <@eroyf> all the mips devs are using it anyways
21:37 <@spb> and of course the ultimate aim is to drop alpha keywords
from portage
-->8------------

Please people. It's good to have destinies, and everybody wants to build
his own very personal monument. We had Zynot, we had GenUX, and now we
have Paludis.

Please stop acting as if the project of a small scottish griper brain
was "The Standard(tm)"

It is not and hopefully will never be (because then the bitching and
whining will finally stop).

I'm waiting for the stinky comments from the usual corners.

Yours sincerly
Beejay

Re: Living in a bubble [ In reply to ]
*snip*
> --8<------------
> 21:36 <@spb> next step is making paludis the officially supported
> package manager on alpha
> 21:36 <@eroyf> yes
> 21:36 <@eroyf> like it is on mips
> 21:36 * eroyf giggles
> 21:36 <@eroyf> all the mips devs are using it anyways
> 21:37 <@spb> and of course the ultimate aim is to drop alpha keywords
> from portage
> -->8------------
>
> Please people. It's good to have destinies, and everybody wants to
> build his own very personal monument. We had Zynot, we had GenUX, and
> now we have Paludis.
>
> Please stop acting as if the project of a small scottish griper brain
> was "The Standard(tm)"
*snip*

Wow, did you really take that conversation seriously? If so, I feel
sorry for you, as it is clearly joke. Clean the sand out of your
pee-hole...

-Steve
Re: Living in a bubble [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 22:09:52 +0200
Benjamin Judas <benni@beejaysworld.de> wrote:
> It's okay to have dreams, they keep us working on the things we like.
> But trying to force your dreams to come true annoys other people. If a
> Gentoo-developer cannot advocate the heart of Gentoo - i.e. Portage -
> and keeps bitching about it, then he or she should probably consider
> retiring completely from Gentoo and/or fork Gentoo.

Portage is not the heart of Gentoo. The tree is the heart of Gentoo.
Portage (along with the refusal to admit that Portage is not a major
problem) is the thing holding the tree back.

And, uh, given the typical response from other developers when
someone retires completely from Gentoo and/or forks Gentoo, you might
want to reconsider trying to get even more people to leave than already
have.

> Please people. It's good to have destinies, and everybody wants to
> build his own very personal monument. We had Zynot, we had GenUX, and
> now we have Paludis.

Paludis is not a Gentoo fork. Paludis is a replacement for Portage.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Re: Living in a bubble [ In reply to ]
> > 21:36 <@spb> next step is making paludis the officially supported
> > package manager on alpha
>
> This is what is known as a joke. Most people can recognise it as such.

As is the whole discussion about this 'project'. Addionally, for this
topic the borderlines between "joke" and "serious" seem to have blurred
in the last few weeks.

I am sick of hearing such jokes.

Re: Living in a bubble [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 22:09:52 +0200