for you.

For more info on the Gentoo Council, feel free to browse our homepage:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/
Re: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for May [ In reply to ]
On 03:04 Wed 07 May , Mike Frysinger wrote:
> This is your one-day friendly reminder ! The monthly Gentoo Council
> meeting is tomorrow in #gentoo-council on irc.freenode.net. See the
> channel topic for the exact time (but it's probably 2000 UTC).
>
> If you're supposed to show up, please show up. If you're not supposed
> to show up, then show up anyways and watch your Council monkeys dance
> for you.
>
> For more info on the Gentoo Council, feel free to browse our homepage:
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/

Here's the suggested agenda. Please feel free to respond to some of the
commentary within, because it's hard for me to usefully summarize a
topic's background in an entirely objective manner.

Thanks,
Donnie
Re: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for May [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 02:03:45AM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Requested attendees
> ===================
>
> PMS: ciaranm, pkgcore dev, portage dev, any other tools that care about
> versions

Might I suggest that if PMS is going to be discussed, a copy of
PMS.pdf actually be available somewhere? Preferably with the
kdebuild-1 crap stripped out...

Definitely would help considering the damned thing has yet to build on
my system (longterm complaints re: missing fixme.sty during make).

~harring
Re: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for May [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 8 May 2008 03:57:16 -0700
Brian Harring <ferringb@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 02:03:45AM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> > Requested attendees
> > ===================
> >
> > PMS: ciaranm, pkgcore dev, portage dev, any other tools that care
> > about versions
>
> Might I suggest that if PMS is going to be discussed, a copy of
> PMS.pdf actually be available somewhere? Preferably with the
> kdebuild-1 crap stripped out...

Might I suggest that you read the agenda rather than going completely
off topic like last time?

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Re: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for May [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 12:01:19PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Thu, 8 May 2008 03:57:16 -0700
> Brian Harring <ferringb@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 02:03:45AM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> > > Requested attendees
> > > ===================
> > >
> > > PMS: ciaranm, pkgcore dev, portage dev, any other tools that care
> > > about versions
> >
> > Might I suggest that if PMS is going to be discussed, a copy of
> > PMS.pdf actually be available somewhere? Preferably with the
> > kdebuild-1 crap stripped out...
>
> Might I suggest that you read the agenda rather than going completely
> off topic like last time?

If PMS is going to be discussed in some form, it's a fair request that
folks have an easily readable version.

Insane enough, loosening the 8 digit version restriction can have
other implications- very least, verifying that bash 3.0 is when [[ ]]
support was introduced since [ ] breaks down for long long from a
quick look. That's off the top of the head- could be more. Actually
having a pdf to read would make that a helluva lot easier too.

Course, it's way more fun to just bitch at me then build a pdf so
others can look at the current spec for the discussion at hand (bugs
are one thing, looking at the actual spec is another).

One thing I wouldn't mind the council discussing is whether or not the
recent behaviour re: pms on -dev is acceptable for running a project-
it's not exactly engendering cooperation. Feel free to delay that
till the next month, or ignore it (y'alls court after all).

~brian
Re: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for May [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 8 May 2008 04:15:10 -0700
Brian Harring <ferringb@gmail.com> wrote:
> If PMS is going to be discussed in some form, it's a fair request
> that folks have an easily readable version.

The relevant sentence was provided. Had you bothered to read the
agenda, you would know this.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Re: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for May [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Brian Harring <ferringb@gmail.com> wrote:
> If PMS is going to be discussed in some form, it's a fair request that
> folks have an easily readable version.

Here you have latest pms revision built without kdebuild-1 spec:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~coldwind/pms.pdf

It's not that hard to extract the relevant paragraph from the tex
sources, though.

Santiago M. Mola
Jabber ID: cooldwind@gmail.com
Re: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for May [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 01:44:53PM +0200, Santiago M. Mola wrote:
> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Brian Harring <ferringb@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If PMS is going to be discussed in some form, it's a fair request that
> > folks have an easily readable version.
>
> Here you have latest pms revision built without kdebuild-1 spec:
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~coldwind/pms.pdf
>
> It's not that hard to extract the relevant paragraph from the tex
> sources, though.

Already did (hence the bash 3.0 comment), that said having a live copy
of the doc for ebuild devs to review, or portage tree tool developers
to review isn't exactly a bad idea.

It's a helluva lot simpler then digging through a mishmash of tex
files also ;)

Thanks meanwhile,
~harring
Re: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for May [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 12:23:39PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Thu, 8 May 2008 04:15:10 -0700
> Brian Harring <ferringb@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If PMS is going to be discussed in some form, it's a fair request
> > that folks have an easily readable version.
>
> The relevant sentence was provided. Had you bothered to read the
> agenda, you would know this.

Council: if you wouldn't mind and have time, kindly extend the
discussion of PMS beyond version components (which I already clarified
where the potential issue is) to the future of it, current behaviour
from (frankly) the sole developer of it, how involved other package
managers (say... portage, the biggest out there) are in the process.

It's frankly a discussion long overdue.

Cheers.
~harring
Re: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for May [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Brian Harring <ferringb@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 01:44:53PM +0200, Santiago M. Mola wrote:
> >
> > Here you have latest pms revision built without kdebuild-1 spec:
> > http://dev.gentoo.org/~coldwind/pms.pdf
> >

> Already did (hence the bash 3.0 comment), that said having a live copy
> of the doc for ebuild devs to review, or portage tree tool developers
> to review isn't exactly a bad idea.

I've updated it now to:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~coldwind/pms.pdf
http://dev.gentoo.org/~coldwind/pms-without-kdebuild.pdf

Someone may want to automate it. At the moment, ping me if you want me
to update them.