(e.g. the punishment stuff, or what powers the mailing list mods
should get).

cheers,
Wernfried

--
Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org
Re: Slightly different proposal for a Code of Conduct [ In reply to ]
The part about goats kind of scares me :-)

Re: Slightly different proposal for a Code of Conduct [ In reply to ]
From your draft:
> (note: most parts shamelessly stolen from Christel)

In that case, showing only what differs from Christel's proposal would
have been a better way to present yours.

Denis.
Re: Slightly different proposal for a Code of Conduct [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 08:51:42AM +0100, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
> From your draft:
> >(note: most parts shamelessly stolen from Christel)
>
> In that case, showing only what differs from Christel's proposal would
> have been a better way to present yours.

Sorry if that was unclear, that note didn't apply to the whole
document but only the Code of Conduct itself (i did some rearranging
putting the dos above the don'ts, i also added that violating the
rules of a subforum also may be a breach of CoC).
I could have written down my own version of this, but Christel's
pretty much summed up what i would have written, too.

The rest of the document is not shamelessly stolen, and it's probably
best to read both docs to see the difference. My key point is that i
suggest a clear seperation between the moderators of the mailing lists
and the people who actually enforce the CoC while the proctors do both
things.

It also integrates existing moderation structures and only adds a new
one for unmoderated mailing lists, reducing overlaps and potential
conflicts of interest.

There is no new department for executing the CoC, but this
responsibility rather lies with existing structures (Devrel or
Userrel, depending on the status of the person violating CoC), which
reduces redundancy and overlap once again.

I think that sums the most important differences up, if you need more
information, please read post proposals. ;-)

cheers,
Wernfried

Re: Slightly different proposal for a Code of Conduct [ In reply to ]
On 3/15/07, Wernfried Haas <amne@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I think that sums the most important differences up, if you need more
> information, please read post proposals. ;-)

It's much clearer like this, now. Thank you.

Denis.
Re: Slightly different proposal for a Code of Conduct [ In reply to ]
I think this one is a lot better, thanks amne.

In terms of implementation, can't we just get some dev-moderators (cf
proctors) who moderate bugzilla and ml? If a user comes into those channels
they are subject to the same standards, with perhaps a little leeway since
they don't post from a gentoo.org address, and thus are not writing in an
official capacity.

I think that last point bears repeating: imho if you post from a gentoo.org
address you should see it as a professional matter. If you can't stay
professional, don't post. If you *really* have to, use a different address
(and change the full name) so it's clear you're posting in a personal
capacity, and outsiders don't think "omg gentoo people are total assholes."

Imo IRC and user-forums simply ain't broke, although flameeyes and ciaranm
might disagree :P If there's bullying on IRC (wtf?! leave the room and
report it to *freenode* staff) by all means include it. Certainly it would
make sense as it's a dev comm channel, and devs /should/ be responsible for
their behaviour to other devs.