Mailing List Archive

Copyright, non-US devs and Gentoo Foundation vs Gentoo (Was: Some council topics for March meeting)
Hi Daniel,

> > I'm also curious as to why people should be expected to assign
> > copyright to a group that is known for licence violations and
> > removing attribution from documents. How does this protect
> > anything?
>
> Copyright assignment (first to Gentoo Technologies, Inc., then to
> Gentoo Foundation, Inc.) has *ALWAYS* been Gentoo policy.
Not quit true, it *had* been policy:

1) Since the copyright agreement has been taken back by the foundation
several gentoo devs joined who never agreed on assigning copyright of
their work to the foundation.

2) There are countries who acutally adhere to the Berne Convention
(1886). This means even the deed of commiting sources with a "Copyright
(C) XXXX Gentoo Foundation" is useless in most countries of the EU.
E.g, *none* of the stuff that I ever commited to Gentoo's repositories
is copyrighted (solely) by the Gentoo Foundation, due to me being
German citizen and writing that stuff in Germany. FYI, there isn't even
something like Copyright in Germany. We have an "Author's right" which
agree with the Berne Convention and deviates from copyright in several
points.

> 1) Any material created by Gentoo developers, as part of an official
> Gentoo Project, needs to have copyright assigned to the Gentoo
> Foundation, whether or not it is currently included in the Portage
> tree. This protects all of our collective contributions against
> misuse, which is why it is policy.
As I pointed out above, that's useless. See the Berne Convention and
keep in mind that only half of the (active) developers come from the
US.

> 2) Any material not assigned to the Gentoo Foundation cannot be
> considered an official Gentoo Project. It would not fall under the
FUD. Honestly, Gentoo as a project should not care if it is copyrighted
to the Foundation. The *Foundation* should strive to work with the
Authors on a mutually acceptable way of copyrighting it.
> umbrella/scope of the development project that is Gentoo, which is in
> part a legal structure to protect our collective work, (code, logos,
> etc.) and would be considered a third-party project.
>
> I'd be really surprised - flabbergasted, really - if this has
> changed. But at this point I almost wouldn't be surprised. :)
Suprise! :-)

Danny
--
Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@gentoo.org>
Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
Re: Copyright, non-US devs and Gentoo Foundation vs Gentoo (Was: Some council topics for March meeting) [ In reply to ]
^
It's still Europe :P ----------------------------------------------'

--
Kind Regards,

Simon Stelling
Gentoo/AMD64 developer
Re: Copyright, non-US devs and Gentoo Foundation vs Gentoo (Was: Some council topics for March meeting) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Danny van Dyk schrieb:
> 2) There are countries who acutally adhere to the Berne Convention
> (1886). This means even the deed of commiting sources with a "Copyright
> (C) XXXX Gentoo Foundation" is useless in most countries of the EU.
> E.g, *none* of the stuff that I ever commited to Gentoo's repositories
> is copyrighted (solely) by the Gentoo Foundation, due to me being
> German citizen and writing that stuff in Germany. FYI, there isn't even
> something like Copyright in Germany. We have an "Author's right" which
> agree with the Berne Convention and deviates from copyright in several
> points.

Except that you "giving away copyright" or "donating to public domain"
is understood by (german) courts to give away usage rights, which is
exactly what is intended, no?

Regards,
Thomas
Re: Copyright, non-US devs and Gentoo Foundation vs Gentoo (Was: Some council topics for March meeting) [ In reply to ]
Am Samstag, 3. März 2007 19:48 schrieb Thomas Rösner:
> Hi,
>
> Danny van Dyk schrieb:
> > 2) There are countries who acutally adhere to the Berne Convention
> > (1886). This means even the deed of commiting sources with a
> > "Copyright (C) XXXX Gentoo Foundation" is useless in most countries
> > of the EU. E.g, *none* of the stuff that I ever commited to
> > Gentoo's repositories is copyrighted (solely) by the Gentoo
> > Foundation, due to me being German citizen and writing that stuff
> > in Germany. FYI, there isn't even something like Copyright in
> > Germany. We have an "Author's right" which agree with the Berne
> > Convention and deviates from copyright in several points.
>
> Except that you "giving away copyright" or "donating to public
> domain" is understood by (german) courts to give away usage rights,
> which is exactly what is intended, no?
That doesn't come down to the effects for the Gentoo Foundation:

Corporation Foo uses the Gentoo-x86 tree in violation of GPL. Foundation
tries to sue them, as they think they have the copyright. Corporation
Foo's lawyers say: Uh, you don't even have the copyright on all of
gentoo-x86. See the problem?

Danny
Re: Copyright, non-US devs and Gentoo Foundation vs Gentoo (Was: Some council topics for March meeting) [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 08:24:23PM +0100, Danny van Dyk wrote:
> Am Samstag, 3. M?rz 2007 19:48 schrieb Thomas R?sner:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Danny van Dyk schrieb:
> > > 2) There are countries who acutally adhere to the Berne Convention
> > > (1886). This means even the deed of commiting sources with a
> > > "Copyright (C) XXXX Gentoo Foundation" is useless in most countries
> > > of the EU. E.g, *none* of the stuff that I ever commited to
> > > Gentoo's repositories is copyrighted (solely) by the Gentoo
> > > Foundation, due to me being German citizen and writing that stuff
> > > in Germany. FYI, there isn't even something like Copyright in
> > > Germany. We have an "Author's right" which agree with the Berne
> > > Convention and deviates from copyright in several points.
> >
> > Except that you "giving away copyright" or "donating to public
> > domain" is understood by (german) courts to give away usage rights,
> > which is exactly what is intended, no?
> That doesn't come down to the effects for the Gentoo Foundation:
>
> Corporation Foo uses the Gentoo-x86 tree in violation of GPL. Foundation
> tries to sue them, as they think they have the copyright. Corporation
> Foo's lawyers say: Uh, you don't even have the copyright on all of
> gentoo-x86. See the problem?

No, the foundation has copyright on portions of it, and they are allowed
to assert that copyright. So everything is just fine.

thanks,

greg "i've talked to too many lawyers lately" k-h
Re: Copyright, non-US devs and Gentoo Foundation vs Gentoo (Was: Some council topics for March meeting) [ In reply to ]
I note that FSF-Europe uses what it calls a "Fiduciary Licence
Agreement" to gain the ability to prosecute license violations for
software whose copyright is distributed amongst many owners.

Discussion here:
http://www.fsf-europe.org/projects/fla/fla.html

and the boilerplate for FTF's agreement in PDF here:

http://www.fsf-europe.org/projects/fla/FLA.en.pdf

This may be more appropriate than a straight copyright assingment as
used by FSF (US).

I guess this is an issue for the trustees, rather than the council, but
(b)cc'ed both for comment.

--
Kevin F. Quinn