Mailing List Archive

dodoc default?
is it possible for dodoc to do a `make doc' (or whatever the standard is) if
called without any filenames?

Re: dodoc default? [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 07 January 2007 00:13, Steve Long wrote:
> is it possible for dodoc to do a `make doc' (or whatever the standard is)

there is no such standard
-mike
Re: Re: dodoc default? [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 07 January 2007 02:38, Steve Long wrote:
> well are there any general usage examples?

dodoc README

> After all, if enough gentoo pkgs do it, it'll become a de-facto standard ;)

the only way that'd happen is if autotools integrated it as a default target
-mike
Re: dodoc default? [ In reply to ]
Steve Long wrote:
> is it possible for dodoc to do a `make doc' (or whatever the standard is) if
> called without any filenames?

dodoc's purpose is to install files into ${D}/usr/share/doc/${PF}

If you want to build the docs for a package, examine the build system
for a doc target and run it.

I don't see any reason to give a simple tool (dodoc) another thing to do.
Re: dodoc default? [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Sunday 07 January 2007 00:13, Steve Long wrote:
>> is it possible for dodoc to do a `make doc' (or whatever the standard is)
>
> there is no such standard
> -mike
well are there any general usage examples? i've just had to amend an ebuild
so that it did make doc, and i thought it might be useful. After all, if
enough gentoo pkgs do it, it'll become a de-facto standard ;)

Re: Re: dodoc default? [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Sunday 07 January 2007 02:38, Steve Long wrote:
>> well are there any general usage examples?
>
> dodoc README
I deserved that ;) Let me more precise: are there any other general examples
of make targets for docs?

>> After all, if enough gentoo pkgs do it, it'll become a de-facto standard
>> ;)
>
> the only way that'd happen is if autotools integrated it as a default
> target -mike
Nothing to stop that happening. After all they update according to what the
current practises are don't they? I'm not for one minute suggesting that
this will happen soon (ie autotools etc) just that it is something gentoo
could do and seems like a sensible default, both for make targets (cf make
all) and for dodoc. I guess if the only standard for FSF is the actual txt
files, there's not much point.

Re: dodoc default? [ In reply to ]
Alec Warner wrote:
> dodoc's purpose is to install files into ${D}/usr/share/doc/${PF}
>
> If you want to build the docs for a package, examine the build system
> for a doc target and run it.
>
> I don't see any reason to give a simple tool (dodoc) another thing to do.
Agreed.

Re: dodoc default? [ In reply to ]
Just like to apologise for wittering on the list, especially over the last
fortnight. Things have been a bit stressed. Sorry.