the default ... however, i certainly dont want to start adding a different
user/group for each system logger cause that's wicked lame
-mike
Re: [rfc] transition system loggers to 'adm' user/group [ In reply to ]
On Monday 01 January 2007 10:29, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> how do people feel about transitioning the Gentoo standard system logger
> from running as root/root to adm/adm ?  the latest version of sysklogd
> includes some patches so that it can run as non-root and a user requested
> we make this the default ... however, i certainly dont want to start adding
> a different user/group for each system logger cause that's wicked lame
It would be really nice, especially if the adm group could be used to be able
to read the logs without using root login :)

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Sound, ALSA, PAM, KDE, CJK, Ruby ...
Re: [rfc] transition system loggers to 'adm' user/group [ In reply to ]
Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> On Monday 01 January 2007 10:29, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> how do people feel about transitioning the Gentoo standard system logger
>> from running as root/root to adm/adm ? the latest version of sysklogd
>> includes some patches so that it can run as non-root and a user requested
>> we make this the default ... however, i certainly dont want to start adding
>> a different user/group for each system logger cause that's wicked lame
> It would be really nice, especially if the adm group could be used to be able
> to read the logs without using root login :)

Awesome idea Mike. And allowing people to read the logs if they were in
the adm group would be perfect too.

--
Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org>
http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/

Re: [rfc] transition system loggers to 'adm' user/group [ In reply to ]
Re: [rfc] transition system loggers to 'adm' user/group [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 09:46:55 -0800
Mike Doty <kingtaco@gentoo.org> wrote:

> does syslog-ng and metalog have similar functionality?

SYNOPSIS
syslog-ng [ -dFsvVy ] [ -f <config-filename> ] [ -p
<pid-filename> ] [ -C <chroot-dir> ] [ -u <user> ] [ -g <group> ]
-u <user>, --group=<user>
Switch to user.

I'd have to guess so.
Re: [rfc] transition system loggers to 'adm' user/group [ In reply to ]
Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò kirjoitti:
> On Monday 01 January 2007 10:29, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> how do people feel about transitioning the Gentoo standard system logger
>> from running as root/root to adm/adm ? the latest version of sysklogd
>> includes some patches so that it can run as non-root and a user requested
>> we make this the default ... however, i certainly dont want to start adding
>> a different user/group for each system logger cause that's wicked lame
> It would be really nice, especially if the adm group could be used to be able
> to read the logs without using root login :)

Why not use the wheel group?

Regards,
Petteri
Re: [rfc] transition system loggers to 'adm' user/group [ In reply to ]
On Monday 01 January 2007 19:38, Petteri Räty wrote:
> Why not use the wheel group?
wheel can su (and sudo usually); you might want to give an user access to the
logs without using wheel group.

Re: [rfc] transition system loggers to 'adm' user/group [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 20:14:17 +0100 "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò"
<flameeyes@gentoo.org> wrote:
| On Monday 01 January 2007 19:38, Petteri Räty wrote:
| > Why not use the wheel group?
|
| wheel can su (and sudo usually); you might want to give an user
| access to the logs without using wheel group.

Then don't list them in sudoers or give them the root password.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
Web : http://ciaranm.org/
Paludis is faster : http://ciaranm.org/show_post.pl?post_id=61
Re: [rfc] transition system loggers to 'adm' user/group [ In reply to ]
On Monday 01 January 2007 12:46, Mike Doty wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > how do people feel about transitioning the Gentoo standard system logger
> > from running as root/root to adm/adm ? the latest version of sysklogd
> > includes some patches so that it can run as non-root and a user requested
> > we make this the default ... however, i certainly dont want to start
> > adding a different user/group for each system logger cause that's wicked
> > lame
>
> does syslog-ng and metalog have similar functionality?

maybe, but no one has this as the default behavior, so ...
-mike
Re: [rfc] transition system loggers to 'adm' user/group [ In reply to ]
Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> It would be really nice, especially if the adm group could be used to be able
> to read the logs without using root login :)

++ on that :)

Greetz Jokey

Re: [rfc] transition system loggers to 'adm' user/group [ In reply to ]
Petteri Räty wrote:
> Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò kirjoitti:
>> It would be really nice, especially if the adm group could be used to be able
>> to read the logs without using root login :)

> Why not use the wheel group?

adm is the standard unix group used to access system logs. there's a
few good reasons you might want to give someone those permissions
without full wheel access.

--
by design, by neglect
dirtyepic gentoo org for a fact or just for effect
Re: [rfc] transition system loggers to 'adm' user/group [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger wrote:

> On Monday 01 January 2007 12:46, Mike Doty wrote:
>> Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> > how do people feel about transitioning the Gentoo standard system
>> > logger
>> > from running as root/root to adm/adm ? the latest version of sysklogd
>> > includes some patches so that it can run as non-root and a user
>> > requested we make this the default ... however, i certainly dont want
>> > to start adding a different user/group for each system logger cause
>> > that's wicked lame
>>
>> does syslog-ng and metalog have similar functionality?
>
> maybe, but no one has this as the default behavior, so ...
> -mike

Yeah, but it's still a good idea, as others have discussed.

Re: [rfc] transition system loggers to 'adm' user/group [ In reply to ]
Steve Long wrote:
>> maybe, but no one has this as the default behavior, so ...
>> -mike
>
> Yeah, but it's still a good idea, as others have discussed.

Just wanted to apologise for my rudeness there- after all it was your
proposal in the first place. Just been a bit strung out recently, so please
excuse me.