Mailing List Archive

Profiles Part 2
Many things were discussed in the last round of this thread (Paludis
and Profiles, in case anyone missed it), and many useful points raised.
One of these, which seems to have been largely missed in amongst the
other noise, forms the basis of this proposal. It is in some ways more
and in some ways less intrusive than the previous proposal,
and is also completely package-manager-agnostic.

In short, I would like to suggest replacing sys-apps/portage atoms in
the base and default-linux profiles with virtual/portage, and removing
the python dependencies from them. For most users this would have an
effective zero change, since the default provider for virtual/portage
is sys-apps/portage, and the python dependency will be pulled in by
Portage when calculating system deps. According to my understanding,
this should also produce no change when building release media, due to
both Portage and Python being in packages.build.

The only change introduced by this is that it becomes possible to
bootstrap a system with a different package manager simply by
installing it before 'system'. There are a couple more changes needed
to allow this -- namely that a few system packages have old
dependencies on >=portage-2.0.49, but these can be resolved seperately.
Any problems caused by packages depending implicitly upon Python will
show up only on systems not using Portage, and can be easily fixed with
the cooperation of package maintainers.

I would like to think that this proposal addresses most of the concerns
raised in the last thread -- it implies nothing about support for any
other package manager, and introduces nothing that could cause problems
for Portage users, while still allowing alternative package managers to
use the tree without needing Portage installed.

I am also aware that this falls roughly under what the Council was
asked to discuss in its June meeting, but since that seems to have not
happened, I'm bringing it up anyway, since I would like to get
something done here.

Comments?
Re: Profiles Part 2 [ In reply to ]
On Monday 12 June 2006 22:58, Stephen Bennett wrote:
> I would like to think that this proposal addresses most of the concerns
> raised in the last thread -- it implies nothing about support for any
> other package manager, and introduces nothing that could cause problems
> for Portage users, while still allowing alternative package managers to
> use the tree without needing Portage installed.
This seems to be more acceptable. The implicit unstated dependencies on Python
are something that will also be interesting to find out (especially for
packages building Python modules automagically).

As far as no change is requested to final users and that the information
reported on bugs can be safely recognized as belong to one or the other
package manager, it seems sane.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE
Re: Profiles Part 2 [ In reply to ]
Stephen Bennett wrote:
> Many things were discussed in the last round of this thread (Paludis
> and Profiles, in case anyone missed it), and many useful points raised.
> One of these, which seems to have been largely missed in amongst the
> other noise, forms the basis of this proposal. It is in some ways more
> and in some ways less intrusive than the previous proposal,
> and is also completely package-manager-agnostic.
>
> In short, I would like to suggest replacing sys-apps/portage atoms in
> the base and default-linux profiles with virtual/portage, and removing
> the python dependencies from them. For most users this would have an
> effective zero change, since the default provider for virtual/portage
> is sys-apps/portage, and the python dependency will be pulled in by
> Portage when calculating system deps. According to my understanding,
> this should also produce no change when building release media, due to
> both Portage and Python being in packages.build.
>
> The only change introduced by this is that it becomes possible to
> bootstrap a system with a different package manager simply by
> installing it before 'system'. There are a couple more changes needed
> to allow this -- namely that a few system packages have old
> dependencies on >=portage-2.0.49, but these can be resolved seperately.
> Any problems caused by packages depending implicitly upon Python will
> show up only on systems not using Portage, and can be easily fixed with
> the cooperation of package maintainers.
>
> I would like to think that this proposal addresses most of the concerns
> raised in the last thread -- it implies nothing about support for any
> other package manager, and introduces nothing that could cause problems
> for Portage users, while still allowing alternative package managers to
> use the tree without needing Portage installed.
>
> I am also aware that this falls roughly under what the Council was
> asked to discuss in its June meeting, but since that seems to have not
> happened, I'm bringing it up anyway, since I would like to get
> something done here.
>
> Comments?

If you can spot those issues and fix them w/out rush on package
mantainers, no problems at all.

Just make sure nobody will ask to "fix" something working with portage
in 0time because of paludis changes.

lu

PS: there is a formal spec about ebuilds now?

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero

Re: Profiles Part 2 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:58:01PM +0100, Stephen Bennett wrote:
> Many things were discussed in the last round of this thread (Paludis
> and Profiles, in case anyone missed it), and many useful points raised.
> One of these, which seems to have been largely missed in amongst the
> other noise, forms the basis of this proposal. It is in some ways more
> and in some ways less intrusive than the previous proposal,
> and is also completely package-manager-agnostic.
>
> In short, I would like to suggest replacing sys-apps/portage atoms in
> the base and default-linux profiles with virtual/portage, and removing
> the python dependencies from them. For most users this would have an
> effective zero change, since the default provider for virtual/portage
> is sys-apps/portage, and the python dependency will be pulled in by
> Portage when calculating system deps. According to my understanding,
> this should also produce no change when building release media, due to
> both Portage and Python being in packages.build.
>
> The only change introduced by this is that it becomes possible to
> bootstrap a system with a different package manager simply by
> installing it before 'system'. There are a couple more changes needed
> to allow this -- namely that a few system packages have old
> dependencies on >=portage-2.0.49, but these can be resolved seperately.
> Any problems caused by packages depending implicitly upon Python will
> show up only on systems not using Portage, and can be easily fixed with
> the cooperation of package maintainers.
>
> I would like to think that this proposal addresses most of the concerns
> raised in the last thread -- it implies nothing about support for any
> other package manager, and introduces nothing that could cause problems
> for Portage users, while still allowing alternative package managers to
> use the tree without needing Portage installed.
>
> I am also aware that this falls roughly under what the Council was
> asked to discuss in its June meeting, but since that seems to have not
> happened, I'm bringing it up anyway, since I would like to get
> something done here.

+1, dependant on A) catalyst folk not poking holes in it, B) council
outcome tomorrow (no point in changing it till they've weighed in on
the whole enchilada).

~harring
Re: Profiles Part 2 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:07:34 +0200 "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò"
<flameeyes@gentoo.org> wrote:
| On Monday 12 June 2006 22:58, Stephen Bennett wrote:
| > I would like to think that this proposal addresses most of the
| > concerns raised in the last thread -- it implies nothing about
| > support for any other package manager, and introduces nothing that
| > could cause problems for Portage users, while still allowing
| > alternative package managers to use the tree without needing
| > Portage installed.
| This seems to be more acceptable. The implicit unstated dependencies
| on Python are something that will also be interesting to find out
| (especially for packages building Python modules automagically).

I had a look at this. I didn't find anything that actually relied upon
python from system -- it seems that people are pretty good about
specifying python deps explictly.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Profiles Part 2 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:09:38 +0200
Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> wrote:

> If you can spot those issues and fix them w/out rush on package
> mantainers, no problems at all.

I was assuming that they would be treated more or less as minor QA
issues are currently.

> PS: there is a formal spec about ebuilds now?

That's on my List. Needs a few different sets of people on board though.
Re: Profiles Part 2 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 21:58 +0100, Stephen Bennett wrote:
> Comments?

Please postpone any such changes, if approved, until at least July, as
we will be doing a snapshot before then, and I would prefer not having
to spend our entire release cycle just fixing possible problems from
these changes.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
Re: Profiles Part 2 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 14:15 -0700, Brian Harring wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:58:01PM +0100, Stephen Bennett wrote:
> > Many things were discussed in the last round of this thread (Paludis
> > and Profiles, in case anyone missed it), and many useful points raised.
> > One of these, which seems to have been largely missed in amongst the
> > other noise, forms the basis of this proposal. It is in some ways more
> > and in some ways less intrusive than the previous proposal,
> > and is also completely package-manager-agnostic.
> >
> > In short, I would like to suggest replacing sys-apps/portage atoms in
> > the base and default-linux profiles with virtual/portage, and removing
> > the python dependencies from them. For most users this would have an
> > effective zero change, since the default provider for virtual/portage
> > is sys-apps/portage, and the python dependency will be pulled in by
> > Portage when calculating system deps. According to my understanding,
> > this should also produce no change when building release media, due to
> > both Portage and Python being in packages.build.
> >
> > The only change introduced by this is that it becomes possible to
> > bootstrap a system with a different package manager simply by
> > installing it before 'system'. There are a couple more changes needed
> > to allow this -- namely that a few system packages have old
> > dependencies on >=portage-2.0.49, but these can be resolved seperately.
> > Any problems caused by packages depending implicitly upon Python will
> > show up only on systems not using Portage, and can be easily fixed with
> > the cooperation of package maintainers.
> >
> > I would like to think that this proposal addresses most of the concerns
> > raised in the last thread -- it implies nothing about support for any
> > other package manager, and introduces nothing that could cause problems
> > for Portage users, while still allowing alternative package managers to
> > use the tree without needing Portage installed.
> >
> > I am also aware that this falls roughly under what the Council was
> > asked to discuss in its June meeting, but since that seems to have not
> > happened, I'm bringing it up anyway, since I would like to get
> > something done here.
>
> +1, dependant on A) catalyst folk not poking holes in it, B) council
> outcome tomorrow (no point in changing it till they've weighed in on
> the whole enchilada).

As the "catalyst folk" I can say that it shouldn't affect us in any way.
So long as packages.build still has sys-apps/portage, packages has
virtual/portage, and virtuals has sys-apps/portage as the default for
the virtual, it won't affect us.

My only request is that this work gets held off on until after we make
our 2006.1 snapshot, to reduce the possibility of us having to hunt down
possibly hundreds of potential problems in release-building.

Re: Profiles Part 2 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:42:16 -0400
Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Please postpone any such changes, if approved, until at least July, as
> we will be doing a snapshot before then, and I would prefer not having
> to spend our entire release cycle just fixing possible problems from
> these changes.

Sounds reasonable. These changes can easily wait until after the 2006.1
release as far as I'm concerned, though ideally I wouldn't want to
delay them any longer than necessary without a good reason.
Re: Profiles Part 2 [ In reply to ]
On Monday 12 June 2006 16:58, Stephen Bennett wrote:
> I am also aware that this falls roughly under what the Council was
> asked to discuss in its June meeting, but since that seems to have not
> happened, I'm bringing it up anyway, since I would like to get
> something done here.

we meet Jun 15th this month
-mike
Re: Profiles Part 2 [ In reply to ]
On Monday 12 June 2006 17:15, Brian Harring wrote:
> B) council
> outcome tomorrow (no point in changing it till they've weighed in on
> the whole enchilada).

not really

it makes people dropping in their own stuff easier and doesnt adversely affect
the portage tree in any way
-mike