Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Gentoo Devmanual [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 24 May 2006 23:51:06 +0200, Benno Schulenberg wrote:

> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 May 2006 15:48:00 -0400 Mark Loeser
>> <halcy0n@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> | At long last the devmanual is official. You can find it at
>> | http://devmanual.gentoo.org. [...]
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Your treatment of the Authors list that used to be on the main
>> page is at best highly dubious...
>
> Indeed, that amazed me too: that it is seemingly written by Tim and
> Mark. Really, Ciaran's name should come first there.
>
> Benno

This page lists contributors to the Gentoo Development Guide:

Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@blueyonder.co.uk>
Main Content
Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@gentoo.org>
Here Documents, Distutils
Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@gentoo.org>
Completion Files, subversion.eclass Reference
Robert Coie <rac@gentoo.org>
Configuring xemacs for UTF-8
Tom Martin <slarti@gentoo.org>
Configuring emacs for UTF-8, Subversion Sources, Conflicting USE Flags
Paul Varner <fuzzyray@gentoo.org>
RPM Sources
Ilya Volynets-Evenbakh <iluxa@gentoo.org>
MIPS ABIs
Diego Pettenò <flameeyes@gentoo.org>
Working with PAM, aclocal and m4 Files
Fernando J. Pereda <ferdy@gentoo.org>
Arch Specific Notes -- ALPHA
Simon Stelling <blubb@gentoo.org>
Arch Specific Notes -- AMD64/EM64T
Alin Dobre <alin@gentoo.org>
echo -- Print Strings
Joseph Jezak <josejx@gentoo.org>
Arch Specific Notes -- PPC

--
Peter

Re: Gentoo Devmanual [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 24 May 2006 23:51:06 +0200, Benno Schulenberg wrote:

> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 May 2006 15:48:00 -0400 Mark Loeser
>> <halcy0n@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> | At long last the devmanual is official. You can find it at
>> | http://devmanual.gentoo.org. [...]
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Your treatment of the Authors list that used to be on the main
>> page is at best highly dubious...
>
> Indeed, that amazed me too: that it is seemingly written by Tim and
> Mark. Really, Ciaran's name should come first there.
>
> Benno

If you have any corrections, suggestions or improvements please contact
the editors. Large portions of the handbook were originally written by
Ciaran McCreesh along with our contributors.

--
Peter

Re: Re: Gentoo Devmanual [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 25 May 2006 01:43:33 +0100, Stephen Bennett wrote:

> On Wed, 24 May 2006 18:36:07 -0400
> Peter <pete4abw@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> If you have any corrections, suggestions or improvements please contact
>> the editors. Large portions of the handbook were originally written by
>> Ciaran McCreesh along with our contributors.
>
> Sorry, but did you have a point here? If so then I'm not seeing it.

Yes. There were two.

1) Ciaranm is prominently credited with the original work on the main
page. "Large portions of the handbook were originally written by Ciaran
McCreesh"

2) On the Contributors page, Ciaranm was the first name listed.

If that is not an acknowledgement of his contribution, then what do you
expect, a Marching Band?

As for the Authors, it clearly shows Tim and Mark as E D I T O R S. That
means, if this work is nominated for a Pulitzer Prize, they probably would
not receive the award. However, as they are the C U R R E N T editors,
their names are appropriately placed.

But face it, ciaranm did contribute and he was aptly credited. However,
Tim and Mark are currently maintaining the body of work and are properly
titled as editors. Tim and Mark are devs. ciaranm is not.

I hope I made myself more clear.

--
Peter

Re: Re: Re: Gentoo Devmanual [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 25 May 2006 12:34:13 +0100, Stephen Bennett wrote:

snip...
> "at a minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable
> authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as such
> other comparable authorship credit."
>
> Two names are credited on the front page. One is conspicuously absent,
> despite having done the vast majority of the original work.

The two names listed are as editors. Plainly, clearly. Ciaranm is clearly
listed alone as a main contributor and author. His name is more
conspicuous than any other. Not to mention on the contributors page where
is name is......first?

>> However, Tim and Mark are currently
maintaining the body of work and
>> are properly titled as editors. Tim and Mark are devs. ciaranm is not.
>
> What does being a dev have to do with anything?

Tim and Mark are maintaining this. I do not think a non dev would be
permitted to do so.

I've made my point. Any other writings by me on this subject would be
repetitive. Flame me if you feel like it, but please don't forget to
ignore facts along the way.

--
Peter

Re: Gentoo Devmanual [ In reply to ]
Mark Loeser wrote:
> At long last the devmanual is official. You can find it at
> http://devmanual.gentoo.org. I would like to thank plasmaroo for helping
> me with converting it to XML (since he did all of the XSL work to add in
> the features we needed to make it easy to write and expand upon).

Someone on LWN (yes this was a news item on LWN) was asking why the doc's look
is different than other Gentoo documents. I'm curious too. Is there any plan
to migrate it to GuideXML or whatever in the future for consistency?

--de.