Mailing List Archive

Gentoo on VMWare - few ideas
Hi all,

I finally get to test the new 2006.0 LiveCD and the new installer (GUI
version). It certainly has many kinks to be ironed out, but it is a
great new start!

I am now waiting for the install on a vmware-workstation-5.5 while
reading what Google had to say about "VMWare Gentoo"...

A few quick ideas:

1. Wouldn't be great if we have a pre-built VMWare machine that gets
released with every new Gentoo release?

The problems:
Somebody has to do it: /me is trying, somebody else already
using it?

As it will be pre-installed Gentoo, the many options that the
installer provides will be already pre-shoosen... However Gentoo
is flexible enough to change them after that.

Somebody has to host it: not sure how does this fit inside
Gentoo mirrors, it will probably be the size of a LiveCD

Somebody has to support it: how many devs and how many skilled
users are there for gentoo on vmware?

It depends on commercial closed-source software... Ir is it
useful with VMPlayer only?

Yeah, and the HOWTO [1] has to be updated...

[1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_on_VMware_in_Windows_NT/2K/XP

What is it worth:
For windoze people it will be a great way to experience/play
with Gentoo

For the challengers, using hardmasked-and-brake-my-gentoo
ebuilds in a nice snadbox will be easy

Just a quick preview of the next release or any other feature
bug

2. As a result of idea 1 and using the info from [2] the Gentoo
community can get lots of fame and some people can get some money.

[2] http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/challenge/

Kalin.
--
|[ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ]|
+-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+

Re: Gentoo on VMWare - few ideas [ In reply to ]
I think that it's a nice idea.
Maybe 2 versions: with X and w/o X just to reduce the space needed.

Can be great to try gentoo inside any other linux or win machine. Can
be great too to try new systems ebuilds or to test things.

Re: Gentoo on VMWare - few ideas [ In reply to ]
Coincidence, installed Gentoo on a WinXP VMWare today and I use VMWare it at
work.
The only difference is that you don't need all the livecd drivers.

Maybe an doc for the specific installation is sufficient with a working
kernel-config just like in the gentoo-wiki but an official one. Oh yeah...
and submit to VMWare also. There's a lot of docs about other distros in the
main site [1] but no Gentoo there.

The vmware-linux-tools is not up2date. I'll try to update the 5.0.0 ebuild
and put it in bugs.g.o
I'm using workstation 5.5.1 and it as 32bits and 64bits binaries/drivers.

[1]: http://www.vmware.com/support/guestnotes/doc/

Re: Gentoo on VMWare - few ideas [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 16:32:55 +0900
Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@thinrope.net> wrote:

> What is it worth:
> For windoze people it will be a great way to experience/play
> with Gentoo

Where is the big difference to booting a livecd in vmware? Ok, you can
write to the disk (image), but I don't think that alone is worth it.

> For the challengers, using hardmasked-and-brake-my-gentoo
> ebuilds in a nice snadbox will be easy

untar a stage3 (or stage4 if you want) tarball, chroot.

> Just a quick preview of the next release or any other feature
> bug

See first comment.

Marius

--
Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
Re: Gentoo on VMWare - few ideas [ In reply to ]
Well, for some time now, whenever I'm in windows I usually have VMWare
running my Gentoo install, but the GUI never works.. but the only thing I
need is deamon server processes (apache/samba) and I'm happy. Would like
to have more info on getting X to work, but meh.

(note, this is running a REAL gentoo inside of vmware. The only thing I
forget to do sometimes is shutdown the Gentoo VM before shutting down
windows.)

Tux

Re: Gentoo on VMWare - few ideas [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:23:21AM +0100, Jose Alberto Suarez Lopez <bass@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I think that it's a nice idea.
> Maybe 2 versions: with X and w/o X just to reduce the space needed.

How would shipping twice the number of images save space? However, at
the last count there was 1.8GB of space free on the torrent
tracker/mirrors dedicated for this kind of stuff, and my personal gnome
images easily fit in 500Mb.

> Can be great to try gentoo inside any other linux or win machine. Can
> be great too to try new systems ebuilds or to test things.

Yeah, it's not a bad idea at all. I'd actually be fairly comfortable in
keeping a semi-up to date image anyways, but at release time I generally
don't have the time.

--
Role: Gentoo Linux Kernel Lead
Gentoo Linux: http://www.gentoo.org