Mailing List Archive

last rites for avifile, vcr, zphoto, drip, divx4linux, quicktime4linux
Those 6 packages do not look maintained and have different issues.

avifile: superseded by ffmpeg, xine and, yet to be in portage due some
packing issue (it has to be snapshotted as ffmpeg), mlt.

vcr: superseded by mplayer/mencoder and ffmpeg, not maintained anymore?

zphoto: not maintained I'm afraid.

drip: not maintained, superseded by different mencoder front-ends

divx4linux: superseded by ffmpeg and xvid

quicktime4linux: superseded by libquicktime

There are some ebuild that could depend on avifile or seems to have
avifile as an hard dependency (jahshaka to name an actively developed
one) but looks like it could be replaced.

expected phase out time: 25 days.

If you are against that please speak now.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero

Re: last rites for avifile, vcr, zphoto, drip, divx4linux, quicktime4linux [ In reply to ]

Luca> avifile: superseded by ffmpeg, xine and ... mlt.

Do they offer all of the cli tools that avifile does?

-JimC
Re: last rites for avifile, vcr, zphoto, drip, divx4linux, quicktime4linux [ In reply to ]
James Cloos wrote:

> Luca> avifile: superseded by ffmpeg, xine and ... mlt.
>
> Do they offer all of the cli tools that avifile does?

If you are referring to avicap I think that there are other capture
tools in portage (media-tv field anyway)

lu

Re: last rites for avifile, vcr, zphoto, drip, divx4linux, quicktime4linux [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:33:58 +0200
Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> wrote:

> zphoto: not maintained I'm afraid.

"Not maintained and working", or "not maintained and FUBARed" ?

--
Andrej "Ticho" Kacian <ticho at gentoo dot org>
Gentoo Linux Developer - net-mail, antivirus, x86
Re: last rites for avifile, vcr, zphoto, drip, divx4linux, quicktime4linux [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 16 October 2005 00:05, Andrej Kacian wrote:
> "Not maintained and working", or "not maintained and FUBARed" ?
"Not maintained and depending on something not maintained and that is giving
headaches to the ones who should take care of it", I'd say :)

That is one of the packages that depends on avifile, that has quite a bit of
problems, and has no more releases since a long time, and is giving problems
with newer version of libraries and stuff.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE
Re: last rites for avifile, vcr, zphoto, drip, divx4linux, quicktime4linux [ In reply to ]
Luca Barbato wrote:
> Those 6 packages do not look maintained and have different issues.
>
> avifile: superseded by ffmpeg, xine and, yet to be in portage due some
> packing issue (it has to be snapshotted as ffmpeg), mlt.

Ooops. Is someone working on mlt too?
I have some working ebuilds somewhere but I'm *very* busy atm so I can't
test it. (And there are other packags that have a high priority too.

Cheers,
Marc.
Re: last rites for avifile, vcr, zphoto, drip, divx4linux, quicktime4linux [ In reply to ]
Marc Hildebrand wrote:

> Ooops. Is someone working on mlt too?
> I have some working ebuilds somewhere but I'm *very* busy atm so I can't
> test it. (And there are other packags that have a high priority too.

Got interested bug got overbusy too =/

lu

Re: last rites for avifile, vcr, zphoto, drip, divx4linux, quicktime4linux [ In reply to ]
Luca Barbato wrote:
[snip]

avifile will be removed tomorrow since mlt and mlt++ (required by
jahshaka as avifile replacement) will be released tomorrow.

If you are maintaining or using one of the packages in the list keep in
mind that it will be removed in 24h if aren't avifile free.

lu

Re: last rites for avifile, vcr, zphoto, drip, divx4linux, quicktime4linux [ In reply to ]
Luca Barbato posted <438903F2.5030308@gentoo.org>, excerpted below, on
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 01:55:14 +0100:

> Luca Barbato wrote:
> [snip]
>
> avifile will be removed tomorrow since mlt and mlt++ (required by jahshaka
> as avifile replacement) will be released tomorrow.
>
> If you are maintaining or using one of the packages in the list keep in
> mind that it will be removed in 24h if aren't avifile free.

I have very little idea what I'm talking about here, but that's why the
questions...

I have mjpegtools listed as dependant on avifile, and transcode dependant
on mjpegtools, and transcode installed for k3b.

Looking at the ebuild, the version hasn't been bumped, but it no longer
has the avi USE flag or avifile dependancy. Shouldn't the -r# be bumped,
so folks don't end up with an mjpegtools that doesn't work, or is it not
cross-linked to a library, only calling an independant executable (avicap,
maybe?). I don't see any indication that mjpegtools works with the
replacements?

and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in