Mailing List Archive

Strange update world output
I have a cron job on my system which runs emerge --sync && emerge -uDf
world early in the hours of the morning, so that each day I can login,
run emerge -uDp world and if I'm satisfied with what's about to be
updated I can upgrade straight away without having to wait for time
consuming syncs or downloads. However, this morning I woke up to the
following output from emerge -uDp world:

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild N ] dev-lang/nasm-0.98.39
[ebuild N ] x11-misc/ttmkfdir-3.0.9-r2
[ebuild N ] x11-base/opengl-update-2.2.1
[ebuild N ] x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1
[ebuild N ] app-arch/rpm2targz-9.0-r2
[ebuild N ] sys-apps/utempter-0.5.5.5-r1
[ebuild N ] x11-terms/xterm-200-r1
[ebuild N ] media-libs/audiofile-0.2.6-r1
[ebuild N ] media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.8
[ebuild N ] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.8
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libmad-0.15.1b
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libogg-1.1.2
[[ebuild N ] kde-base/kde-env-3-r3
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libvorbis-1.1.0
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libid3tag-0.15.1b
[ebuild N ] media-libs/lcms-1.13-r1
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libmng-1.0.4
[ebuild U ] dev-db/postgresql-8.0.1-r3 [8.0.1-r2]
[ebuild N ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.4-r3
[ebuild N ] kde-base/arts-1.3.2-r1
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libsdl-1.2.8-r1
[ebuild N ] sys-libs/lib-compat-1.4

Given that my USE flags include -X, -gtk, -qt etc. (I don't want any
graphical stuff as this is a server machine, and I've never had
anything like this come up before), why on earth is portage wanting to
install all these new packages? The only thing I can think of is that
the dependancies for postgresql have somehow changed, running emerge
-uDpv postgresql throws up most of what is shown above plus:

[ebuild U ] dev-db/postgresql-8.0.1-r3 [8.0.1-r2] -debug -doc
-kerberos +libg++ +nls +pam +perl -pg-hier -pg-intdatetime +python
+readline (-selinux) +ssl -tcltk +xml2 +zlib 0 kB

Have I done something wrong, or has something changed in portage?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

--
Rogue Tory
http://www.roguetory.org.uk

Re: Strange update world output [ In reply to ]
On 16/5/2005 11:09:28, Paul Waring (pwaring@gmail.com) wrote:
> Given that my USE flags include -X, -gtk, -qt etc. (I don't want any
> graphical stuff as this is a server machine, and I've never had
> anything like this come up before), why on earth is portage wanting to
> install all these new packages?

Try "emerge -puDvt world", which will give you the list in an indented tree format useful for determining what pulled in the packages you don't want.

Kev.

Re: Strange update world output [ In reply to ]
On 5/16/05, Kevin F. Quinn <ml@kevquinn.com> wrote:
> Try "emerge -puDvt world", which will give you the list in an indented tree format useful for determining what pulled in the packages you don't want.

I think I've found out what the problem was by looking through all
those, although the dependancy tree isn't all that easy to follow
(it's pretty hard to tell how far something is indented when they're
10+ lines apart). Looks like lib-compat had +sdl set (I presume this
is set by default because I've never enabled it) which seemed to be
bringing all sorts of rubbish along with it. Adding -sdl and -arts to
make.conf got rid of everything bar postgresql and lib-compat (which
is what I wanted), although I've no idea why all these extra packages
appeared in the first place.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

--
Rogue Tory
http://www.roguetory.org.uk

Re: Strange update world output [ In reply to ]
On 5/16/05, Paul Waring <pwaring@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/16/05, Kevin F. Quinn <ml@kevquinn.com> wrote:
> > Try "emerge -puDvt world", which will give you the list in an indented tree format useful for determining what pulled in the packages you don't want.
>
> I think I've found out what the problem was by looking through all
> those, although the dependancy tree isn't all that easy to follow
> (it's pretty hard to tell how far something is indented when they're
> 10+ lines apart). Looks like lib-compat had +sdl set (I presume this
> is set by default because I've never enabled it) which seemed to be
> bringing all sorts of rubbish along with it. Adding -sdl and -arts to
> make.conf got rid of everything bar postgresql and lib-compat (which
> is what I wanted), although I've no idea why all these extra packages
> appeared in the first place.

For the record, you can put -* in your make.conf. That will disable
all of the use flags and you will have to specify only the one you
need. That way, this will never happen again. Just make sure you know
what you're doing ...

Also, since no one mentioned it yet, this is a strickly gentoo
developpement oriented mailing list. The Gentoo-User ML exist for
these sort of questions :).

Regards,

JF

Re: Strange update world output [ In reply to ]
Paul Waring posted <8953a1db050516020958696f66@mail.gmail.com>, excerpted
below, on Mon, 16 May 2005 10:09:28 +0100:

> emerge -uDp world:
>
> Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[snipping some of these]
> [ebuild N ] x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1
> [ebuild N ] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.8
> [ebuild N ] media-libs/libogg-1.1.2
> [[ebuild N ] kde-base/kde-env-3-r3
> [ebuild N ] media-libs/libvorbis-1.1.0
> [ebuild N ] media-libs/libid3tag-0.15.1b
> [ebuild U ] dev-db/postgresql-8.0.1-r3 [8.0.1-r2]
> [ebuild N ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.4-r3
> [ebuild N ] kde-base/arts-1.3.2-r1
> [ebuild N ] media-libs/libsdl-1.2.8-r1
>
> Given that my USE flags include -X, -gtk, -qt etc. (I don't want any
> graphical stuff as this is a server machine, and I've never had
> anything like this come up before), why on earth is portage wanting to
> install all these new packages? The only thing I can think of is that
> the dependancies for postgresql have somehow changed, running emerge
> -uDpv postgresql throws up most of what is shown above plus:
>
> [ebuild U ] dev-db/postgresql-8.0.1-r3 [8.0.1-r2] -debug -doc
> -kerberos +libg++ +nls +pam +perl -pg-hier -pg-intdatetime +python
> +readline (-selinux) +ssl -tcltk +xml2 +zlib 0 kB
>
> Have I done something wrong, or has something changed in portage?

This is the perfect example of where the --tree (-t) emerge flag comes in
useful. --tree reverses the order so dependencies and what is requiring
what in terms of merges can be shown, and then indents based on dependency
level. It's really cool and useful, sometimes, as it should be here.
You'll find out what's requiring all those X and audio packages in /no/
time (well, the time it takes to do an emerge --pretend --tree, but anyway...).

One thing I /did/ notice was the double [[ in front of kde-base/kde-env.
Unless you did some snipping of your own, or simply typoed, it's possible
that's an indication of emerge going haywire, possibly hinting at whatever
is causing this. Of course, I think it more likely that there's just
something strange going on with one of the deps, possibly a new use flag
that you need to turn off or something, that --tree, maybe along with
--verbose to show the use flags, will probably make decently obvious. If
necessary, you can then file a bug on the problem ebuild.

and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in