but you know what I mean). Anyone shed any light on which one of us is
off their rocker?
-Mike
Re: Isn't FILESDIR *the* FILESDIR? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 07:06:26AM -0500, Michael Cummings wrote:
> I have a bug open, 81947, where a chap is saying that the message I
> display at the end of the perl install is pointing to some path
> under /var/tmp that doesn't exist. But in the ebuild, I'm just pointing
> the user to $FILESDIR/perl-cleaner, like we always have. On my boxes
> this gets displayed as /usr/portage/yada ('cept when its in the overlay,
> but you know what I mean). Anyone shed any light on which one of us is
> off their rocker?
The good news: Both of you are sane (I think).

The bad news:
I've seen this one before, but never during an emerge.
It's only been when messing around calling ebuild.sh while working on a
package. Doing 'ebuild ... clean' and then starting again solved it
fine. In most cases it looked like it tried to refer to the vardb tree
for the FILESDIR.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@orbis-terrarum.net
Re: Isn't FILESDIR *the* FILESDIR? [ In reply to ]
Michael Cummings posted <1111061186.8230.2.camel@nomad.datanode.net>,
excerpted below, on Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:06:26 -0500:

> I have a bug open, 81947, where a chap is saying that the message I
> display at the end of the perl install is pointing to some path
> under /var/tmp that doesn't exist. But in the ebuild, I'm just pointing
> the user to $FILESDIR/perl-cleaner, like we always have. On my boxes
> this gets displayed as /usr/portage/yada ('cept when its in the overlay,
> but you know what I mean). Anyone shed any light on which one of us is
> off their rocker?

I've seen this -- I have $PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/tmp, and after installing the
binary package, which I'd previously created, the message says to run the
script /tmp/portage-pkg/perl-<ver>/inf/perl-cleaner, which of course
doesn't exist, at least a few seconds after that message is displayed,
because that dir has been cleaned by then. Further, looking at the binary
package to see where /it/ put it I couldn't find any file by that name in
the binary package either???, and the script didn't seem to be on my path,
so I decided running it couldn't be that important after all, or there'd
actually be a way to do so, and it would exist in the binary package to be
reextracted, if necessary.

Perhaps luckily, I don't have many perl packages installed, and I haven't
run into any problems with ebuilds failing due to it, so I'm not too
worried.

and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in