Mailing List Archive

New 10.0 LiveDVD release enhancements
Fernando V Orocu (likewhoa) has been working on getting the 10.0 LiveDVD
images in shape for the Gentoo 10th year anniversary release. We need
some assistance in terms of LiveDVD testers, user suggestions for new
packages & software testers since there will be over 100+ new packages
on this release dvd.

We are looking for constructive feedback and ideas from both the
developer community and user community. We want this 10th year
anniversary release DVD to reflect our accomplishments over the year and
your feedback is highly appreciated.

Below are a few of the goals for the the LiveDVD release.

1. Supply both 32/64bit stable kernels
2. Enable HybridISO for the images
3. KDE/GNOME Desktop Environment
4. Speak-Up Functionality
5. <your suggestions here>

Some links..

http://bugs.gentoo.org/281827
http://weboperative.com/gentoo/downloads/livecds
svn co svn://anonsvn.gentoo.org/releng/trunk/releases/10.0

-Samuli
Re: New 10.0 LiveDVD release enhancements [ In reply to ]
Samuli Suominen wrote:
> Fernando V Orocu (likewhoa) has been working on getting the 10.0 LiveDVD
> images in shape for the Gentoo 10th year anniversary release. We need
> some assistance in terms of LiveDVD testers, user suggestions for new
> packages & software testers since there will be over 100+ new packages
> on this release dvd.
>
> We are looking for constructive feedback and ideas from both the
> developer community and user community. We want this 10th year
> anniversary release DVD to reflect our accomplishments over the year and
> your feedback is highly appreciated.
>
> Below are a few of the goals for the the LiveDVD release.
>
> 1. Supply both 32/64bit stable kernels
> 2. Enable HybridISO for the images
> 3. KDE/GNOME Desktop Environment
> 4. Speak-Up Functionality
> 5. <your suggestions here>

Recently, Gentoo LiveCDs/DVDs moved to XFCE. I don't have a strong
opinion on if XFCE is included or not, but I will assist if anything is
needed on that front.

-Jeremy
Re: New 10.0 LiveDVD release enhancements [ In reply to ]
Maybe some Gentoo/GNOME Gentoo/KDE Gentoo/otherDEorWM
wallpapers/logos/icons? I have some Gentoo/KDE wallpapers and logos that
could be used. Or do we prefer strictly Gentoo anniversary artwork?

Re: Re: New 10.0 LiveDVD release enhancements [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 18:16 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 08/22/2009 05:46 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> >[...]
> > Below are a few of the goals for the the LiveDVD release.
> >
> > 1. Supply both 32/64bit stable kernels
> > 2. Enable HybridISO for the images
> > 3. KDE/GNOME Desktop Environment
> > 4. Speak-Up Functionality
> > 5.<your suggestions here>
>
> Something that looks good in sites bringing the news. Gentoo is usually
> greeted with "another release that looks like the previous one, this
> project is moving nowhere." So at least something to trick* them into
> saying something positive for a change would be nice.
>
> * "trick" them because if they see there's no installer, the bashing and
> negative rating will skyrocket again :P

We really don't want another installer and I highly believe users won't
really care if
there is one or not. GLI was not a very good experience for many.

Re: New 10.0 LiveDVD release enhancements [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 17:54 +0300, Theo Chatzimichos wrote:
> Maybe some Gentoo/GNOME Gentoo/KDE Gentoo/otherDEorWM
> wallpapers/logos/icons? I have some Gentoo/KDE wallpapers and logos
> that could be used. Or do we prefer strictly Gentoo anniversary
> artwork?

Please link to your artwork, I like to see if any of it can be of good
use and if you're a designer a 10 year anniversary theme would be ideal.
Re: New 10.0 LiveDVD release enhancements [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Samuli Suominen<ssuominen@gentoo.org> wrote:
> We are looking for constructive feedback and ideas from both the
> developer community and user community. We want this 10th year
> anniversary release DVD to reflect our accomplishments over the year and
> your feedback is highly appreciated.

Here's the thing: artwork needs to be put at the *top* of that list.
The artwork is the one thing that is *immediately* visible to users,
and goes a very long way in setting up a positive "look and feel" for
the distro.

If required, I would suggest that we set a bounty using foundation
money for artwork (bootsplash+gnome+kde).

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

GNOME Team, Gentoo
Re: New 10.0 LiveDVD release enhancements [ In reply to ]
Samuli Suominen wrote:
> 2. Enable HybridISO for the images

What's this? Explain!
Re: New 10.0 LiveDVD release enhancements [ In reply to ]

Re: New 10.0 LiveDVD release enhancements [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 09:52 -0700, Josh Saddler wrote:
> Samuli Suominen wrote:
> > 2. Enable HybridISO for the images
>
> What's this? Explain!

Starting in version 3.72, ISOLINUX supports a "hybrid mode" which can be
booted from either CD-ROM or from a device which BIOS considers a hard
disk or ZIP disk, e.g. a USB key or similar. In other words no more
burning cd/dvds if you don't want.
[...]

How would a non-developer go about participating in the test?
Re: New 10.0 LiveDVD release enhancements [ In reply to ]
Hi all!

Also i think it wil be good idea to include parted into liveDVD since
its only tool that support gpt partition tables =)

2009/8/23 James Homuth <james@the-jdh.com>:
> [...]

Alexey 'Alexxy' Shvetsov
Gentoo Linux Dev
mailto:alexxyum@gmail.com
mailto:alexxy@gentoo.org
mailto:alexxy@omrb.pnpi.spb.ru
Re: New 10.0 LiveDVD release enhancements [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Alexey Shvetsov<alexxy@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Also i think it wil be good idea to include parted into liveDVD since
> its only tool that support gpt partition tables =)

+1 On this one. Since parted comes with partprobe, which is really
nice when you want to change the partition tables on a live box.
Re: New 10.0 LiveDVD release enhancements [ In reply to ]
Le 23/08/2009 11:02, Chip Parker a écrit :
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Alexey Shvetsov<alexxy@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Also i think it wil be good idea to include parted into liveDVD since
>> its only tool that support gpt partition tables =)
>>

> +1 On this one. Since parted comes with partprobe, which is really
> nice when you want to change the partition tables on a live box.

Will one of you file a bug assigned to the relevant team? (probably releng).

Feature requests are handled through bugzilla. -dev is most just a black
hole for this sort of things.

Thanks
Re: New 10.0 LiveDVD release enhancements [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2009-08-23 at 18:40 +0200, Rémi Cardona wrote:
> Le 23/08/2009 11:02, Chip Parker a écrit :
> > On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Alexey Shvetsov<alexxy@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >> Hi all!
> >>
> >> Also i think it wil be good idea to include parted into liveDVD since
> >> its only tool that support gpt partition tables =)

parted will be included on the livedvd image :)

> > +1 On this one. Since parted comes with partprobe, which is really
> > nice when you want to change the partition tables on a live box.
> >

> Will one of you file a bug assigned to the relevant team? (probably releng).
>
> Feature requests are handled through bugzilla. -dev is most just a black
> hole for this sort of things.
You can file package request at http://bugs.gentoo.org/281827 but we
can't guarantee they will be accepted.

Re: New 10.0 LiveDVD release enhancements [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org>:

> We are looking for constructive feedback and ideas from both the
> developer community and user community. We want this 10th year
> anniversary release DVD to reflect our accomplishments over the year
> and your feedback is highly appreciated.

Planet announcement?

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>