Mailing List Archive

PACKAGE_OVERLAY and arch /usr/portage/packages ideas
That was sent to -core I should not send emails that early in the morning...
basically this works nice for me and it could be kept in mind for future
portage...

=======================
Hello,

Here is one thing I do and suggest...

PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${PORTDIR}/local"

as default and --exclude it from rsync

then add a stamp to the binary packages... or the portage directory like
PKGDIR="${PORTDIR}/packages-ppc-2004.2

My make.conf looks like this(see under) and it works fine to deploy a
lot of machines in a short time with my own ebuilds... also works for
the other arch on the same network by changing few variables. So it
could be nice to have these features in place in an easy to export
fashion, I also export distfiles since there is no need to replicate all
the files on all the machines. I use mainly nfs...

/usr/portage rsync on all the machines from another local machine.
/usr/portage/local exported to all platforms (ro)
/usr/portage/distfiles exported to all machines (rw)
/usr/portage/packages-arch-release exported to specific arch and
releases(rw or ro)

rsync exclude packages* local distfiles

That would allow us to be taken more as a tune once, deploy everywhere
distribution, also allowing a real good use of distcc, preventing the
abuse of rsync mirrors (emerge gentoo-rsync-mirror), prevent abuse of
package fetching, consistent deployment, specific ebuild for location
and more than I can think of ...

Yours,
Phil

make.conf
========================
CHOST="powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu"
USE="aalib alsa altivec arts atlas blas bzlib directfb crypt dvd cdr
dvdr encode f77 fbcon flac gcj gtk2 java lcms v4l v4l2 ncurses
mozcalendar mikmod mpeg objc pic scanner tcltk tiff usb Xaw3d xmms xvid
zlib"

CFLAGS="-O3 -mtune=7400 -maltivec -mabi=altivec -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

SYNC="rsync://192.168.224.102/gentoo-portage"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://trumpetti.atm.tut.fi/gentoo/"

# How and where to build
FEATURES="buildpkg"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/portage-local"
PKGDIR="${PORTDIR_OVERLAY}/packages-7400-2004.1"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PORTAGE_NICENESS="5"

# distcc stuff here
FEATURES="${FEATURES} distcc"