So I removed the kde overlay. This works, but it would downgrade stuff like
amarok-9999 which I am testing. I tried to avoid this by putting <media-
sound/amarok-9999 into package.mask, but it has no effect. Then I copied
media-sound/amarok from the kde overlay into my local overlay, now I can
update.

Is there a better solution? This situation seems to happen with every minor
KDE update.

Wonko
Re: How to mask KDE 4.6.2? [ In reply to ]

Hi,
I'm using the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--keep-going"
portage option to ignore missing files. This is enough for me.

Marian
Re: How to mask KDE 4.6.2? [ In reply to ]
http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/kde.git;a=blob_plain;f=profiles/package.mask.d/kde-4.6.2;hb=HEAD

Cheers, A

--

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer
Re: How to mask KDE 4.6.2? [ In reply to ]
Marián Kyral writes:

> I'm using the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--keep-going"
> portage option to ignore missing files. This is enough for me.

Not for me. I had tried the world update this night, but after a few
packages (kde-env being the only KDE4-one) it failed to download oxygen-
icons, and was unable to resume. Some of the packages that have updates
pending are ffmpeg or glib, I don't understand why missing KDE4 stuff
prevents their update.

Wonko
Re: How to mask KDE 4.6.2? [ In reply to ]
Andreas K. Huettel writes:

> http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/kde.git;a=blob_plain;f=prof
> iles/package.mask.d/kde-4.6.2;hb=HEAD

Thanks, Andreas! This does the trick.

How about putting that into $LAYMAN/kde/Documentation/package.mask/kde-4.6.2?

Wonko
Re: How to mask KDE 4.6.2? [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 03 April 2011 20:58:06 Alex Schuster wrote:
> Andreas K. Huettel writes:
> > http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/kde.git;a=blob_plain;f=prof
> > iles/package.mask.d/kde-4.6.2;hb=HEAD
>
> Thanks, Andreas! This does the trick.
>
> How about putting that into
> $LAYMAN/kde/Documentation/package.mask/kde-4.6.2?
>
> Wonko

I can do that and it would have exactly the same effect as now, but: the link
would no longer work... so I better not move it! :)

--

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer
Re: How to mask KDE 4.6.2? [ In reply to ]
Andreas K. Huettel writes:

> On Sunday 03 April 2011 20:58:06 Alex Schuster wrote:
> > Andreas K. Huettel writes:
> > > http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/kde.git;a=blob_plain;f=
> > > prof iles/package.mask.d/kde-4.6.2;hb=HEAD
> >
> > Thanks, Andreas! This does the trick.
> >
> > How about putting that into
> > $LAYMAN/kde/Documentation/package.mask/kde-4.6.2?

> I can do that and it would have exactly the same effect as now, but: the
> link would no longer work... so I better not move it! :)

Ah. I had not realized the URL actually pointed directly into the layman
repository. And I did not know yet about the profiles directory, so I only
looked for mask files in the Documentation directory. No idea why there are
two sorts of mask files in different directories, but as long as I can find
the right one there, it's fine for me :)

Wonko
Re: How to mask KDE 4.6.2? [ In reply to ]
Alex Schuster posted on Sun, 03 Apr 2011 20:35:30 +0200 as excerpted:

> Marián Kyral writes:
>
>> I'm using the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--keep-going"
>> portage option to ignore missing files. This is enough for me.
>
> Not for me. I had tried the world update this night, but after a few
> packages (kde-env being the only KDE4-one) it failed to download oxygen-
> icons, and was unable to resume. Some of the packages that have updates
> pending are ffmpeg or glib, I don't understand why missing KDE4 stuff
> prevents their update.

Do you have FEATURES=parallel-fetch enabled? Either that, or doing an
emerge --upgrade --fetchonly --keep-going (with --newuse --deep --whatever
as you normally do it) should help with that.

For ffmpeg, etc, it may be that they're inter-related to the kde
dependencies in such a way that they don't want to update by themselves,
however.

What I often do here when there's a pending kde update, even when it's
available, is do an emerge --update --pretend (--newuse/deep...whatever)
piped to grep -v kde. That gives me a list of all the NON-KDE things to
upgrade, (grep's -v reverses the grep so it lists anything WITHOUT the
grepped term), and I'll then upgrade them first, manually.

The reasoning is that by breaking huge updates into smaller pieces,
they're easier to handle. This is particularly true for openrc, bash,
glibc, etc updates, which I like doing by themselves, then testing, before
I make any possible problems with such core components (I /am/ running
~arch so they WILL happen from time to time!) more complex by compounding
them several times over. But a kde update is so huge by itself, that I
prefer doing everything else first, not only the package updates
themselves but also the etc-updates and non-kde revdep-rebuilds, before
tackling kde, all by itself.

It works for me, altho sometimes if I've not upgraded for awhile, I end up
typing in several packages at a time to upgrade, then several more
(sometimes in a different konsole window, running the updates in parallel
taking care not to duplicate dependency updates in more than one parallel
session), until I get them all done. That may be more bother than some
people like, typing the individual packages in manually (either have --
oneshot in default-opts or always use it, I have scriptlets that use it by
default), but at least here, I've found it easier to do that, than to
troubleshoot new problems after the fact, when doing so has been made far
more complex because of all the updates I did at the same time. YMMV, but
it works for me. =:^)

Re: Re: How to mask KDE 4.6.2? [ In reply to ]
Duncan wrote:

> Alex Schuster posted on Sun, 03 Apr 2011 20:35:30 +0200 as excerpted:
> > Marián Kyral writes:
> >> I'm using the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--keep-going"
> >> portage option to ignore missing files. This is enough for me.
> >
> > Not for me. I had tried the world update this night, but after a few
> > packages (kde-env being the only KDE4-one) it failed to download
> > oxygen- icons, and was unable to resume. Some of the packages that
> > have updates pending are ffmpeg or glib, I don't understand why
> > missing KDE4 stuff prevents their update.
>
> Do you have FEATURES=parallel-fetch enabled? Either that, or doing an
> emerge --upgrade --fetchonly --keep-going (with --newuse --deep
> --whatever as you normally do it) should help with that.

Huh? Yes, parallel-fetch is enabled. But I do not see how this would change
a thing?

> For ffmpeg, etc, it may be that they're inter-related to the kde
> dependencies in such a way that they don't want to update by themselves,
> however.

No, they were updated in that night's world update, after the KDE 4.6.2
update had been masked.

> What I often do here when there's a pending kde update, even when it's
> available, is do an emerge --update --pretend (--newuse/deep...whatever)
> piped to grep -v kde. That gives me a list of all the NON-KDE things to
> upgrade, (grep's -v reverses the grep so it lists anything WITHOUT the
> grepped term), and I'll then upgrade them first, manually.

So do I, though I usually start with eix -Iu --only-names. Well, in fact it
was more like eix -I | grep '^\[U', until someone recently posted the
--only-names option for eix. But I realize this method has a problem, it
also finds stuff with different slots. This does the trick:
UPGRADE_TO_HIGHEST_SLOT=false eix -I | grep '^\[U'

Hmmmm.

Now that I look at the output I find some stuff that has updates pending,
but emerge -DautvNj --with-bdeps=y @world does not pick them up. And
depclean does not want to remove them.
An example is dev-lang/spidermonkey, needed by www-client/elinks (with the
javascript USE flag being set).

And yet another strangeness: emerge -DautvNj @system wants to install
virtual/mta (as a dependency of app-crypt/gnupg), emerge -DautvNj @world
does not.