Can somebody in KATE choose terminus, and copy-paste ā ī ū ē ō
chars ?
How it looks out ?
How i fix it ?
Any hint, tip, pionter welcomed
Tnx in advance
Alfs Kurmis.
----
Re: KDE4.5.4 kate terminus [ In reply to ]
Am 20.02.2011 12:17, schrieb Alfs Kurmis:
> Hi gentoo experts !
>
> 3-4 weeks ago i have installed gentoo -- KDE4.5.4 -- kate -- terminus font.
>
> In KATE i have choosed terminus font.
> At first sight everything looks normal.
> Chars à ä also looks normal.
> I mean that à and ä looks exact as normal a , but just with .. and \
> above.
>
> But chars ā ī ū ē ō looks completly different as normal chars a i u e o ,
> are bigger , wider , and are not "sharp" .
> They are ~1.5 times wider , so that after any of em , rest of line
> shift right for 1/2 position .
>
> Can somebody in KATE choose terminus, and copy-paste ā ī ū ē ō chars ?
> How it looks out ?

I can verify this behavior here. I guess the terminus font package does
not contain the necessary glyphs and therefore another font is used as a
substitute (looks like monospace).

Interestingly, when I download the TrueType version from this site [1]
and test it in KDE's font viewer, the letters look correct. I guess you
could install that version manually. In this case, please file a bug on
http://bugs.gentoo.org. Maybe that version can be merged into the
terminus ebuild.

[1] http://fractal.csie.org/~eric/wiki/Terminus_font

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp
Re: KDE4.5.4 kate terminus [ In reply to ]
I forgot to mention something
I have another computer with ubuntu 10.04 where in GEDIT
ā ī ū ē ō looks EXACT as normal chars a i u e o ,
so maybe it is inaccuracy with KDE - QT and not by Terminus self ?
Or maybe usage of some USE Flags can fix it ?
Yet i can not test it because i have this HDD new formatted.
eix terminus
* media-fonts/terminus-font
     Available versions:  4.30 ~4.32 {X
a-like-o bolddiag +pcf +psf quote raw-font-data ru-dv +ru-g ru-i ru-k
width}

Homepage:
http://terminus-font.sourceforge.net/

fixed font for the console and X11
Citējot *Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net>*:

----
Re: KDE4.5.4 kate terminus [ In reply to ]
Am 20.02.2011 16:37, schrieb kallipygos@inbox.lv:
> Citējot *Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net
> <mailto:lists@binarywings.net>>*:
>
> Am 20.02.2011 12:17, schrieb Alfs Kurmis:
> > Hi gentoo experts !
> >
> > 3-4 weeks ago i have installed gentoo -- KDE4.5.4 -- kate --
> terminus font.
> >
> > In KATE i have choosed terminus font.
> > At first sight everything looks normal.
> > Chars à ä also looks normal.
> > I mean that à and ä looks exact as normal a , but just with .. and \
> > above.
> >
> > But chars ā ī ū ē ō looks completly different as normal chars a i
> u e o ,
> > are bigger , wider , and are not "sharp" .
> > They are ~1.5 times wider , so that after any of em , rest of line
> > shift right for 1/2 position .
> >
> > Can somebody in KATE choose terminus, and copy-paste ā ī ū ē ō chars ?
> > How it looks out ?
> >

> I can verify this behavior here. I guess the terminus font package does
> not contain the necessary glyphs and therefore another font is used as a
> substitute (looks like monospace).
>
> Interestingly, when I download the TrueType version from this site [1]
> and test it in KDE's font viewer, the letters look correct. I guess you
> could install that version manually. In this case, please file a bug on
> http://bugs.gentoo.org. Maybe that version can be merged into the
> terminus ebuild.
>
> [1] http://fractal.csie.org/~eric/wiki/Terminus_font
>
> Hope this helps,
> Florian Philipp
>
> I forgot to mention something
>
> I have another computer with ubuntu 10.04 where in GEDIT
> ā ī ū ē ō looks EXACT as normal chars a i u e o ,
> so maybe it is inaccuracy with KDE - QT and not by Terminus self ?
>
> Or maybe usage of some USE Flags can fix it ?
> Yet i can not test it because i have this HDD new formatted.

Hmm, yes, in gedit the font looks okay. I guess this really is a KDE, Qt
or terminus bug. Please report it.

By the way: Please don't top-post. Put your responses below the message
you quote. It makes reading long threads easier.

Regards,
Florian Philipp
Re: KDE4.5.4 kate terminus [ In reply to ]
Florian Philipp posted on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 19:44:53 +0100 as excerpted:

> Hmm, yes, in gedit the font looks okay. I guess this really is a KDE, Qt
> or terminus bug. Please report it.

Very possibly a hinting issue... does it change when you change kde's font
hinting settings? (There's quite some history involved there, including
former patents, just expired AFAIK, that prevented freedomware use, at
least where the patents applied, for quite some time. There were various
workarounds, some of which are likely still in place, causing different
behavior in different cases.)

> By the way: Please don't top-post. Put your responses below the message
> you quote. It makes reading long threads easier.

Strongly agreed. =:^)