--
And again he saith, Rejoice, ye Gentiles, with his people.
-- Romans 15:10
Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 20:52:13 +0200, "Roman v. Gemmeren"
<lists@hasnoname.de> wrote:
> hi,
>
> anyone else experiencing crashes when hitting 'New Mail' or Send Mail
> Button?

I just checked on new installed gentoo, and yes, is crashing when I
closing
composer window.

[...]

--
Serghei
Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I'm not using kmail, but can reproduce. Actually I've hit this before,
when I wanted to try some stuff in kmail, but have no idea why this
happens. I remember the problem was in some section working with
variables that I wasn't able to track their origin (who and when
created the objects). Patches are welcome.

Semi-debug trace:

[New Thread 0xb2fe8b70 (LWP 27122)]
[New Thread 0xb37e9b70 (LWP 27121)]
[New Thread 0xb3feab70 (LWP 27120)]
[New Thread 0xb47ebb70 (LWP 27119)]
[KCrash handler]
#6 0xb5d5ab6e in DCOPObject::~DCOPObject() ()
from /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#7 0xb74808c3 in KMComposeWin::~KMComposeWin() ()
from /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libkmailprivate.so
#8 0xb5858934 in QObject::event(QEvent*) () from /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#9 0xb588e903 in QWidget::event(QEvent*) () from /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#10 0xb5946c99 in QMainWindow::event(QEvent*) ()
from /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#11 0xb7469c9d in KMComposeWin::event(QEvent*) ()
from /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libkmailprivate.so
#12 0xb57f816a in QApplication::internalNotify(QObject*, QEvent*) ()
from /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#13 0xb57f926c in QApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) ()
from /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#14 0xb5e331a3 in KApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) ()
from /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libkdecore.so.4
#15 0xb57f9d0e in QApplication::sendPostedEvents(QObject*, int) ()
from /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#16 0xb57f9e8f in QApplication::sendPostedEvents() ()
from /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#17 0xb57a7f1d in QEventLoop::processEvents(unsigned int) ()
from /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#18 0xb580f9cf in QEventLoop::enterLoop() () from /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#19 0xb580f872 in QEventLoop::exec() () from /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#20 0xb57f86c6 in QApplication::exec() () from /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#21 0x0804a8e4 in ?? ()
#22 0xb4fd6bb6 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6
#23 0x0804a651 in ?? ()

Regards Ladislav Laska
S pozdravem Ladislav Laska
---
xmpp/jabber: ladislav.laska@jabber.cz

Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
Just a me-too message. I recently started having these crashes as well. They started about when I upgraded to libpng1.4.
Re: Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I've been experiencing these crashes long before libpng1.4 (at least I
think so, I haven't really been using kmail for years), but could you
try downgrading to libpng1.2 just to see what happens?

I guess noone really knows why is kmail crashing, but I would like it resolved.

Regards Ladislav Laska
S pozdravem Ladislav Laska
---

Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
Nicholas Robbins posted on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 08:09:24 -0700 as excerpted:

> Just a me-too message. I recently started having these crashes as well.
> They started about when I upgraded to libpng1.4.

Ugh. Sounds like you still have the earlier version, and some library
using it, while another pulls in the new version, with both used by kmail,
so it's pulling in both versions into the same executable, and that's a
certain recipe for disaster, or at least crashes.

I take it you've completed a revdep-rebuild and running it now comes up
clean? Do you run with as-needed in your ldflags? That will certainly
help, as will having lafilefixer in your portage post-install hooked
routines. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you may want to read
up on flameeyes' blog... the mentioned tricks can definitely save you a
**LOT** of trouble.)

What about depclean? Do you use it regularly?

If you're not doing that sort of stuff routinely, it may be that a
complete emerge --emptytree world is needed to get the cruft cleaned out,
but before you go to that trouble, I'd suggest setting up as-needed in
your ldflags, lafilefixer in your post-install, doing a --depclean --
pretend and adding to world what you don't want removed, and consider
setting FEATURES=buildpkg, before you do the rebuild, so that when you're
done, you'll have the full world built cleanly with those options, and
binpkg backups for every package, as well. After that it should be MUCH
easier to keep up with routine maintenance, always doing a revdep-rebuild
and a depclean (I always use ask, to see what it's going to do, before
letting it go ahead, for both of these), after every update or package
removal.

Re: Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
On 8 July 2010 21:16, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
> Nicholas Robbins posted on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 08:09:24 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> Just a me-too message. I recently started having these crashes as well.
>> They started about when I upgraded to libpng1.4.
>
> Ugh.  Sounds like you still have the earlier version, and some library
> using it, while another pulls in the new version, with both used by kmail,
> so it's pulling in both versions into the same executable, and that's a
> certain recipe for disaster, or at least crashes.
>
> I take it you've completed a revdep-rebuild and running it now comes up
> clean?  Do you run with as-needed in your ldflags?  That will certainly
> help, as will having lafilefixer in your portage post-install hooked
> routines.  (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you may want to read
> up on flameeyes' blog... the mentioned tricks can definitely save you a
> **LOT** of trouble.)
>
> What about depclean?  Do you use it regularly?
>
> If you're not doing that sort of stuff routinely, it may be that a
> complete emerge --emptytree world is needed to get the cruft cleaned out,
> but before you go to that trouble, I'd suggest setting up as-needed in
> your ldflags, lafilefixer in your post-install, doing a --depclean --
> pretend and adding to world what you don't want removed, and consider
> setting FEATURES=buildpkg, before you do the rebuild, so that when you're
> done, you'll have the full world built cleanly with those options, and
> binpkg backups for every package, as well.  After that it should be MUCH
> easier to keep up with routine maintenance, always doing a revdep-rebuild
> and a depclean (I always use ask, to see what it's going to do, before
> letting it go ahead, for both of these), after every update or package
> removal.
>
> --
> Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
> "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
> and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

Do none of these kmail crashes produce a crash dump or backtrace? If
it is the png issue, it's pretty easy to spot from a crash dump in my
experience.
--
Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA 7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8
Re: Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
I don't think I had any traces of libpng1.2. I followed these steps for updating my libpng.

http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/06/29/stable-users-libpng-update

So I had no traces of the old version. I haven't been using --as-needed.

I depclean and revdep after every update, I have buildpackage in my features. My machine is already doing it's revdep back to 1.2. Hopefully it will be done when I get back in to work tomorrow. I'll let you know if that helps.

Re: Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
Ok, pulled back to libpng1.2, and still have the crashed. Must have been a case of post hoc ergo proptor hoc. Before I rebuild again to get back to libpng1.4. How should I set my cflags and useflags to allow for debugging this?

Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 26 June 2010 21:52:13 Roman v. Gemmeren wrote:
> hi,
>
> anyone else experiencing crashes when hitting 'New Mail' or Send Mail
> Button?

I fixed this disabling DCOP interface for composer window. Maybe someone can
dig deeper to figure out what happens actually. I'm not sure if the problem
is in kmail or in dcop.

--
Serghei
Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
Hi List,
On Wednesday 28 July 2010 22:05:02 Serghei Amelian wrote:
> On Saturday 26 June 2010 21:52:13 Roman v. Gemmeren wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > anyone else experiencing crashes when hitting 'New Mail' or Send Mail
> > Button?
>
> I fixed this disabling DCOP interface for composer window. Maybe someone
> can dig deeper to figure out what happens actually. I'm not sure if the
> problem is in kmail or in dcop.

Thank you very much for that fix!
Just to give some feedback:
Now i can reply, or hit STRG+N for New Mail. But it still crashes every time
i hit the "New Mail"-Button...
Do you know if disabling dcop-interface has any other disadvantages?

greetings,
Roman

--
Nevertheless I will remember my covenant with thee in the days of thy
youth, and I will establish unto thee an everlasting covenant.
Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
Hello,

with dcop interface, you will probably not be able to integrate kmail
fully with other kde apps, since dcops is kinda cross-application
communication interface.

Regards Ladislav Laska
S pozdravem Ladislav Laska
---

Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 29 July 2010 10:46:13 Roman v. Gemmeren wrote:

[...]

> > I fixed this disabling DCOP interface for composer window. Maybe someone
> > can dig deeper to figure out what happens actually. I'm not sure if the
> > problem is in kmail or in dcop.
>
> Thank you very much for that fix!
> Just to give some feedback:
> Now i can reply, or hit STRG+N for New Mail. But it still crashes every
> time i hit the "New Mail"-Button...

I can't reproduce this problem, you can provide a trace?

Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 29 July 2010 10:32:51 Serghei Amelian wrote:
> On Thursday 29 July 2010 10:46:13 Roman v. Gemmeren wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > I fixed this disabling DCOP interface for composer window. Maybe
> > > someone can dig deeper to figure out what happens actually. I'm not
> > > sure if the problem is in kmail or in dcop.
> >
> > Thank you very much for that fix!
> > Just to give some feedback:
> > Now i can reply, or hit STRG+N for New Mail. But it still crashes every
> > time i hit the "New Mail"-Button...
>
> I can't reproduce this problem, you can provide a trace?

Would the kmail debug output enough or do you need an strace?

greetings,
Roman

--
The blueness of a wound cleanseth away evil: so do stripes the inward
parts of the belly.
Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 29 July 2010 11:37:38 Roman v. Gemmeren wrote:
> On Thursday 29 July 2010 10:32:51 Serghei Amelian wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 July 2010 10:46:13 Roman v. Gemmeren wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Thank you very much for that fix!
> > > Just to give some feedback:
> > > Now i can reply, or hit STRG+N for New Mail. But it still crashes
> > > every time i hit the "New Mail"-Button...
> >
> > I can't reproduce this problem, you can provide a trace?
>
> Would the kmail debug output enough or do you need an strace?

A gdb backtrace.

Actually I just reproduced this crash, when I used kontact. When kmail is used
standalone, working well. Seems a DCOP problem too. I will try to investigate
deeper.

--
Serghei
Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 29 July 2010 10:43:52 Serghei Amelian wrote:
> On Thursday 29 July 2010 11:37:38 Roman v. Gemmeren wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 July 2010 10:32:51 Serghei Amelian wrote:
> > > On Thursday 29 July 2010 10:46:13 Roman v. Gemmeren wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I can't reproduce this problem, you can provide a trace?
> >
> > Would the kmail debug output enough or do you need an strace?
>
> A gdb backtrace.
>
> Actually I just reproduced this crash, when I used kontact. When kmail is
> used standalone, working well. Seems a DCOP problem too. I will try to
> investigate deeper.

There is no real backtrace, but this is the output i got...

(gdb) kmail: Oops! No folder for message
kmail: Folder found: (nil)
kmail: Identity found: 2112278965
kdecore (KConfigSkeleton): Creating KConfigSkeleton (0x7fffffffba70)
kontact: Command: REM=
kontact: Command: -
kontact: Command: BLANK
kontact: Command: CURSOR
kmail: CharFreq returned 3/0.862745 and I chose quoted-printable
QComboBox::setCurrentItem: (Client) Index 1 out of range
sh: aspell: Kommando nicht gefunden.
kontact: KMComposeWin::slotUpdateFont
kmail: KMComposeWin::readConfig. Standard
kontact: KMComposeWin::slotUpdateFont
kmail: setting PlainText editor
kmail: KMComposeWin::rethinkFields
kmail: KMComposeWin::rethinkFields
kmail: [void KMComposeWin::initAutoSave()]
kmail: + Text/Plain
kmail: ObjectTreeParser::parseObjectTree( node OK, showOnlyOneMimePart:
FALSE )
kmail: BodyPartFormatterFactory: found 4 plugins.
kmail: BodyPartFormatterFactory: overwriting previously registered formatter
for "application/octet-stream"
kmail: BodyPartFormatterFactory: instantiating new Subtype Registry for "text"
kontact: UrlHandler() (iCalendar)
kmail: partNode::findType() is looking at Text/Plain
*** KMail got signal 11 (Crashing)
kmail: [virtual void KMComposeWin::autoSaveMessage()]
kmail: [virtual void KMComposeWin::autoSaveMessage()] autosaving message
kmail: entering KMComposeWin::applyChanges
kmail: KMAIL_DEBUG_COMPOSER_CRYPTO = FALSE
kmail: Added an <LF> on the last line
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kontact path = <unknown> pid = 5853
KCrash cannot reach kdeinit, launching directly.

greetings,
Roman

--
And he answered and said unto them, It is one of the twelve, that dippeth
with me in the dish.
Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 29 July 2010 10:43:52 Serghei Amelian wrote:
> On Thursday 29 July 2010 11:37:38 Roman v. Gemmeren wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 July 2010 10:32:51 Serghei Amelian wrote:
> > > On Thursday 29 July 2010 10:46:13 Roman v. Gemmeren wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I can't reproduce this problem, you can provide a trace?
> >
> > Would the kmail debug output enough or do you need an strace?
>
> A gdb backtrace.
>
> Actually I just reproduced this crash, when I used kontact. When kmail is
> used standalone, working well. Seems a DCOP problem too. I will try to
> investigate deeper.

sorry for the previous mail...

you are correct, it crashes only within kontact.

Please find attached the correct backtrace.

greetings,
Roman

--
And his servants arose, and made a conspiracy, and slew Joash in the
house of Millo, which goeth down to Silla.