know if this would be the real solution, nor do I know how to get it into the
overlay for all to use if it is.

Rob
Re: qt3.eclass deprecated [ In reply to ]
Rob van Riel (kde) wrote:
> The qt3 eclass in the main tree has been emptied save for a deprecation
> message. Do we need to have the old eclass (which had quite a bit of code) in
> the overlay?

Obviously yes, since the maintainers just put it in there. My apologies, I
went out of sync with the overlay. Silly me...:-(

Rob
Re: qt3.eclass deprecated [ In reply to ]
Rob van Riel (kde) posted on Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:38:01 +0100 as excerpted:

> Obviously yes, since the maintainers just put it in there. My apologies,
> I went out of sync with the overlay. Silly me...:-(

While I use different overlays (kde4 and x11), I do so using presumably
the same layman overlay management everyone does. As such, my sync
solution might be useful for others as well.

I created a short script "esyn", which does all my sync updates, main
gentoo tree and overlays both, rebuilds the portage cache, then updates my
esearch database (eupdatedb), and does an emerge --fetchonly --update
--deep @world, so all the sources are fetched.

What's nice is that I have it setup to do tasks in parallel where it can
do so, by backgrounding tasks and using bash's builtin wait command to
wait until all parallel tasks are finished before going to the next
stage. Thus, it syncs layman and the gentoo tree in parallel, for
instance, and does the sources fetch and the esearch index rebuild in
parallel as well, even grabbing the PORTAGE_NICENESS value out of
make.conf to nice the esearch index rebuild appropriately. =:^)

If all you need is to remember to sync portage and layman together, a
simple four-line script suffices:

#!/bin/bash
esync & # or emerge --sync & if you don't use esearch/esync
layman -S &
wait

Put that in /usr/local/sbin/esyn or whatever, call esyn instead of doing
your normal sync, and you won't have to worry about forgetting to sync
your overlays any more. =:^)

If you're interested in the somewhat more complex script I use, which
tests to see if I've mounted the partition with the tree on it before
syncing to the empty mountpoint on my rootfs if I've not, etc, ask and
I'll post it, along with an explanation. But that'd be a rather longer
and more detailed post, not worth the bother if nobody's interested anyway.

Re: Re: qt3.eclass deprecated [ In reply to ]
On 27 March 2010 15:32, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
> Rob van Riel (kde) posted on Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:38:01 +0100 as excerpted:
>
>> Obviously yes, since the maintainers just put it in there.

That was me, actually. As a courtesy. ;-)

> While I use different overlays (kde4 and x11), I do so using presumably
> the same layman overlay management everyone does.  As such, my sync
> solution might be useful for others as well.

Or just do
echo '*' > /etc/eix-sync.conf
and use eix-sync from now on
this basically is: layman -S && emerge --sync && eix-update

Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux Qt project lead developer