Mailing List Archive

Qt 4.5.2 changes
This is basically a plain copy-paste announcement from yngwin's blogie :)

---------

This is basically a heads-up for Qt users on Gentoo. We are about to add the
new 4.5.2 release to portage. With this release we have changed a few things.
We no longer have certain useflags enabled by default that are already enabled
by the desktop profile. This means that if you are not using the desktop
profile, you should look if any useflags have changed and decide which ones you
want to enable. Or otherwise, that you no longer need to disable them if you
want a minimal install.
We also have removed the need for the libX11 dependency in qt-core and a
couple of other non-gui modules. So you can now for example have a server-only
install of quassel with minimal dependencies. The libX11 dependency is now
only pulled by packages that really need it.
Another thing that changed is that we dropped the custom-cxxflags useflag. After
a long period of testing we haven’t come across any problems with “advanced”
cxxflags in Qt 4.5, so now we always let the Qt modules be built with the user-
specified flags. As this is an eclass level change, this means also users of the
stable branch will see this change. An emerge --newuse world will trigger a
recompile of Qt, but this means you will get better optimizations.
------------

Link: http://ben.liveforge.org/2009/06/27/qt-452-changes

Enjoy your Qt experience :)
--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer [KDE/Qt/Sunrise/Sound]
Re: Qt 4.5.2 changes [ In reply to ]
On 06/28/2009 12:29 AM, Markos Chandras wrote:
> Another thing that changed is that we dropped the custom-cxxflags useflag. After
> a long period of testing we haven’t come across any problems with “advanced”
> cxxflags in Qt 4.5, so now we always let the Qt modules be built with the user-
> specified flags. As this is an eclass level change, this means also users of the
> stable branch will see this change. An emerge --newuse world will trigger a
> recompile of Qt, but this means you will get better optimizations.

Thanks to everyone involved.

I notice though that CXXFLAGS are duplicated. This was always that way
though, for years, but it's a bit annoying. I suppose there's nothing
that can be done about it?

(Example, when compiling something that has to do with Qt here, the
command is:

/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.3.3/g++ -c -mtune=core2 -march=core2
-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-exceptions -mtune=core2 -march=core2
-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe

There's no point in having everything doubled :P)
Re: Re: Qt 4.5.2 changes [ In reply to ]
> On 06/28/2009 12:29 AM, Markos Chandras wrote:
> > Another thing that changed is that we dropped the custom-cxxflags
> > useflag. After a long period of testing we haven’t come across any
> > problems with “advanced” cxxflags in Qt 4.5, so now we always let the Qt
> > modules be built with the user- specified flags. As this is an eclass
> > level change, this means also users of the stable branch will see this
> > change. An emerge --newuse world will trigger a recompile of Qt, but this
> > means you will get better optimizations.
>
> Thanks to everyone involved.
>
> I notice though that CXXFLAGS are duplicated. This was always that way
> though, for years, but it's a bit annoying. I suppose there's nothing
> that can be done about it?
>
> (Example, when compiling something that has to do with Qt here, the
> command is:
>
> /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.3.3/g++ -c -mtune=core2 -march=core2
> -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-exceptions -mtune=core2 -march=core2
> -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe
>
> There's no point in having everything doubled :P)

Interesting

Haven't noticed it

This may come from

sed -e "s:QMAKE_CFLAGS_RELEASE.*=.*:QMAKE_CFLAGS_RELEASE=${CFLAGS}:" \
-e "s:QMAKE_CXXFLAGS_RELEASE.*=.*:QMAKE_CXXFLAGS_RELEASE=${CXXFLAGS}:"
\

or something

Open a bug if you like so the rest of qt herd will be informed about this :)