FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at
512-259-1190 | (Travis W. Redfish) | <http://www.fmp.com/pubkeys>
http://www.fmp.com | ("The Roadie") |

Re: udev and VMWare [ In reply to ]
I haven't really noticed any issues with udev and vmware. Would you
care to name some?

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 02:07:43 -0500, Lindsay Haisley
<fmouse-gentoo@fmp.com> wrote:
> Well it seems that there are issues with udev and VMWare. The VMWare devs
> "find sysfs really ugly and hard to use"
> (http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=7968&messageID=63805)
> and it looks like we're going to have to find a workaround.
>
> Apparently RH Fedora supports /etc/udev/devices (see
> <http://people.redhat.com/~harald/udev.html>), which isn't supported in
> Gentoo. Devices files in this dir get copied on udev startup to /dev.
> Perhaps this would be a good idea. I can always just set
> RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes" after creating the necessary device files and/or
> symlinks, but this seems like a bit of a cop-out ;-) But if it works, I'll
> use it.
>
> --
> Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key
> FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at
> 512-259-1190 | (Travis W. Redfish) | <http://www.fmp.com/pubkeys>
> http://www.fmp.com | ("The Roadie") |

Abe Al-Saleh
And then came the Apocolypse. It actually wasn't that
bad, everyone got the day off and there were barbeques
all around.

Re: udev and VMWare [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Abraham Al-Saleh on Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 02:12:39AM CDT
> I haven't really noticed any issues with udev and vmware. Would you
> care to name some?

See the two URLs I quoted below, which I found on researching the issue
here. They pretty much mirror my experience. Apparently VMWare doesn't put
proper sysfs support into their vmnet module so udev and hotplug can't
be told how to create the necessary device nodes.

Setting RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes" in /etc/conf.d/rc after running
vmware-config.pl solves the problem since the script creates the nodes and
they're saved across reboots.

The only other alternative is to put a series of mknod's in a rc file
somewhere that'll get executed before the vmware startup, but using
RC_DEVICE_TARBALL is a better solution. See the middle panel of my sig for
further wisdom on the subject ;-)