FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at
512-259-1190 | (Travis W. Redfish) | <http://www.fmp.com/pubkeys>
http://www.fmp.com | ("The Roadie") |

Re: udev question [ In reply to ]
If you're using udev, then the only /dev/null and /dev/console are
needed. Keep in mind, though, that when udev is started, the
static /dev/* are hidden because the fs that udev manages is mounted
over it just like with devfs...

I recommend keeping them around just in case you need them... unless of
course you're trying to make a minimal install.

See the Gentoo udev HOWTO for more information.

--Jeremy

--
Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@gentoo.org>
Re: udev question [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:11:09 -0500, Lindsay Haisley
<fmouse-gentoo@fmp.com> wrote:
> One quick udev question. The subject is probably OT for this list, but I
> shall not make a habit of posting such questions here.

The question is not really OT, but do some research before posting.

> The default /dev installed by the Gentoo base install has over 1700 device
> files. Are all these necessary if one is using udev? If not, which ones
> _must_ be retained and which will be auto-magically established by udev?

You are probably running with the automatic save/restore the /dev
tarball option which isn't really necessary any more, and I have it
turned off.

Here's data from /etc/conf.d/rc as noted in the Gentoo udev guide:

# Set to "yes" if you want to save /dev to a tarball on shutdown
# and restore it on startup. This is useful if you have a lot of
# custom device nodes that udev do not handle/know about.
# (ONLY used by UDEV enabled systems!)

RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no"

# Set to "yes" if you want devfsd to start upon bootup. This is
# the default for Gentoo.
# Set to "no" only if you understand the full implications. A
# number of files may need to be altered (i.e. /etc/inittab,
# /etc/fstab, etc.).
# Also note that it does _NOT_ start for UDEV enabled systems,
# even if RC_DEVFSD_STARTUP="yes" ...

RC_DEVFSD_STARTUP="no"

HTH,

--