Mailing List Archive

Re: Xorg Stability Issues on AMD64
Just an oddity that I noticed. I experienced this issue when the kde
beta and release candidates were out.

Now that the final has hit and is live and running, a lot of my kde
issues - including this lockup issue, are gone.

-david
Re: Xorg Stability Issues on AMD64 [ In reply to ]
Mark Kamichoff wrote:

>>Symptoms include frozen display, or it won't wake up on key presses if
>>the monitors are in standby. No response from keyboard or mouse, and I
>>can't change to the console. I can however SSH in from another PC, see X
>>consuming 99% of the CPU cycles and kill it (only with signal 9 though).
>>Then GDM restarts and I can log back in and everything is fine...
>>

>I've encountered the same problem, every couple of days. However, it
>only seems to manifest itself when I'm using the Xvideo extension, when
>using Xine or MPlayer. After X locks up, the audio track from the
>movie/clip keeps playing, which was pretty creepy, the first time it
>happened.
>
>This has been happening for awhile, through NVidia's 5xxx and 6xxx
>drivers. I believe it only started happening since I switched to DVI
>output on my video card. That still sounds like an NVidia problem,
>right?
>
>- Mark

I had the sames problems before. Then I disabled Fast writes in the bios
of my motherboard, and now everything is ok...

Re: Xorg Stability Issues on AMD64 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 05:10:41 +0200
Olivier Mathiasin <oliv@mathiasin.com> wrote:

> Mark Kamichoff wrote:
>
> >>Symptoms include frozen display, or it won't wake up on key presses
> >if >the monitors are in standby. No response from keyboard or mouse,
> >and I >can't change to the console. I can however SSH in from another
> >PC, see X >consuming 99% of the CPU cycles and kill it (only with
> >signal 9 though). >Then GDM restarts and I can log back in and
> >everything is fine...>
> >>

> >I've encountered the same problem, every couple of days. However, it
> >only seems to manifest itself when I'm using the Xvideo extension,
> >when using Xine or MPlayer. After X locks up, the audio track from
> >the movie/clip keeps playing, which was pretty creepy, the first time
> >it happened.
> >
> >This has been happening for awhile, through NVidia's 5xxx and 6xxx
> >drivers. I believe it only started happening since I switched to DVI
> >output on my video card. That still sounds like an NVidia problem,
> >right?

Just tried this and as I started qtorrent I just got another lockup. :-(
Still no solution for me. Two things I've notice that lock up my
system are torrent based programs or running heavy network such as ftp.
I've also had lock-ups with no X running. I'm baffled.

--
bruce

--
bruce
Re: Xorg Stability Issues on AMD64 [ In reply to ]
I've had many lock-up problems before, I did something and now I have none.
:)

However that was over a week ago and I forgot how. I think when I compiled
the kernel without the anticipatory scheduler and left in the deadline
scheduler might have fixed it. Or it could have been IA32 Emulation and
leaving out support for a.out binaries.

Anyways the CPU Scheduler options are the "for smaller systems" options in
um general setup I think. The a.out option is in IA32 Emulation.