Mailing List Archive

No connections after upgrades
Today i've upgrade my gentoo box with systemd and kernel 3.16.5, and now
networkmanager won't start.
Re: No connections after upgrades [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 3:38 PM, mr_L4N <serverplus@gmail.com> wrote:

> Today i've upgrade my gentoo box with systemd and kernel 3.16.5, and now
networkmanager won't start.

Are you sure about that? What does

systemctl status NetworkManager.service

says?

Be aware that with NetworkManager > 9.8.6, the ifnet plugin is not longer
supported with systemd, since it conflicts wih OpenRC. The ebuild tells you
then that you probably will need to reconfigure your networks:

ewarn "Ifnet plugin won't be used with systemd
support enabled"
ewarn "as it is meant to be used with openRC and
can cause collisions"
ewarn "(like bug #485658)."
ewarn "Because of this, you will likely need to
reconfigure some of"
ewarn "your networks."

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
Re: No connections after upgrades [ In reply to ]
The status of NetworkManager.service is loaded but active failed, and i'm
using Networkmanager 0.9.8.10-r1

Re: Re: No connections after upgrades [ In reply to ]
Am 29.12.2014 15:09, schrieb mr_L4N:
> The status of NetworkManager.service is loaded but active failed, and
> i'm using Networkmanager 0.9.8.10-r1
>
> Il domenica 28 dicembre 2014, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com>
> ha scritto:
>
>> On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 3:38 PM, mr_L4N <serverplus@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Today i've upgrade my gentoo box with systemd and kernel 3.16.5,
>> and now networkmanager won't start.
>>
>> Are you sure about that? What does
>>
>> systemctl status NetworkManager.service
>>
>> says?
>>
>> Be aware that with NetworkManager > 9.8.6, the ifnet plugin is not
>> longer supported with systemd, since it conflicts wih OpenRC. The
>> ebuild tells you then that you probably will need to reconfigure
>> your networks:
>>
>> ewarn "Ifnet plugin won't be used with
>> systemd support enabled"
>> ewarn "as it is meant to be used with openRC
>> and can cause collisions"
>> ewarn "(like bug #485658)."
>> ewarn "Because of this, you will likely need
>> to reconfigure some of"
>> ewarn "your networks."
>>
>> Regards.--
>> Canek Peláez Valdés
>> Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
>> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Perhaps this is because the NIC's naming scheme has changed on your
system.
At least that's what happened to me. It changed from "enp6s0" to "eth0".
Don't know, perhaps because I switched off the UUID naming in grub or
because I masked and "-"-flagged systemd, udev, udisks, upower, *kit,
etc.

greets
mick
Re: No connections after upgrades [ In reply to ]
Sorry if this is duplicate; my previous mail did not appear, so I repost:

mr_L4N <serverplus@gmail.com> wrote:

> The status of NetworkManager.service is loaded but active failed, and i'm
> using Networkmanager 0.9.8.10-r1

Maybe you are seeing the issue described in
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1007340.html

Can you test whether your sockets work for other programs?