I use 6 HD with systemd and grub2; when i try to mount my root partition
"can't find /dev/sdc3 in /etc/fstab".

With fdisk -l i see it and with live DVD i can mount it and enter in.
Re: Chroot problem [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2014-08-08 at 17:39 +0200, mr_L4N wrote:
> For a kernel problem i can't boot my system, then i would like to
> chroot for repair.
>
> I use 6 HD with systemd and grub2; when i try to mount my root partition
> "can't find /dev/sdc3 in /etc/fstab".
>
> With fdisk -l i see it and with live DVD i can mount it and enter in.

boot livecd/usb to a network connection, mount the gentoo partitions,
enter the chroot, nominally:
mount /dev/sdc3 /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

source /etc/profile
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"

when done working in the chroot, make a graceful exit:
exit
cd
umount -l /mnt/gentoo/dev{/shm,/pts,}
umount -l /mnt/gentoo{/boot,/proc,sys,}
reboot
Re: Chroot problem [ In reply to ]
Probably it's better to read questions before give an answer.

I can't mount the gentoo partition; when i try i see "mount: can't find
/dev/sdc3 in /etc/fstab"

Re: Re: Chroot problem [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2014-08-08 at 18:17 +0200, mr_L4N wrote:
> Probably it's better to read questions before give an answer.
>
> I can't mount the gentoo partition; when i try i see "mount: can't find
> /dev/sdc3 in /etc/fstab"
>
> Il venerdì 8 agosto 2014, Drake Donahue <donahue95@comcast.net> ha scritto:
>
> > On Fri, 2014-08-08 at 17:39 +0200, mr_L4N wrote:
> > > For a kernel problem i can't boot my system, then i would like to
> > > chroot for repair.
> > >
> > > I use 6 HD with systemd and grub2; when i try to mount my root partition
> > > "can't find /dev/sdc3 in /etc/fstab".
> > >
> > > With fdisk -l i see it and with live DVD i can mount it and enter in.
> >

> > boot livecd/usb to a network connection, mount the gentoo partitions,
> > enter the chroot, nominally:
> > mount /dev/sdc3 /mnt/gentoo
> > mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
> > cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/
> > mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
> > mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
> > mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
> > chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bashProbably it's better to read questions before give an answer.
> >
> > source /etc/profile
> > export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
> >
> > when done working in the chroot, make a graceful exit:
> > exit
> > cd
> > umount -l /mnt/gentoo/dev{/shm,/pts,}
> > umount -l /mnt/gentoo{/boot,/proc,sys,}
> > reboot

Top posting is discouraged on this list.
Actually, I read your email several times. I found it lacking detail and
substance and so I guessed for your problem. If you "boot livecd/usb to
a network connection" and then run "mount /dev/sdc3 /mnt/gentoo" you
should not receive "can't find /dev/sdc3 in /etc/fstab". Most reasonable
explanation for that response is running "mount /dev/sdc3" from the
livemedia which specifies the partition only and results in mount
looking for mountpoint and options in /etc/fstab on the livemedia. The
livemedia has no listing for /dev/sdc3 in /etc/fstab.

example:(sda2 is not in my fstab) ~ # mount /dev/sda2
mount: can't find /dev/sda2 in /etc/fstab

example: ~ # mount /mnt/gentoo
mount: can't find /mnt/gentoo in /etc/fstab

example: ~ # mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/gentoo
~ # mount | grep -i sda2
/dev/sda2 on /mnt/gentoo type vfat
(rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

specifying device and mount point without information on either in fstab
causes mount to probe for information and use defaults.