WARNING: One or more updates have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

sys-devel/llvm:0

(sys-devel/llvm-3.4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
<sys-devel/llvm-3.4[abi_x86_64(-)] required by (media-libs/mesa-9.2.5::gentoo, installed)

This message only apears when I do "emerge -pvDu world." If I do a direct
"emerge -pvDu llvm" then no conflict message will show.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Frank Peters
Re: LLVM Emerge Conflict [ In reply to ]
Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> skribis:
> Subject: [gentoo-amd64] LLVM Emerge Conflict
> From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net>
> Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 19:51:37 -0500
> To: gentoo-amd64@lists.gentoo.org
>
> Hello,
>
> Each time I do a world update, I keep getting a message from portage
> which I can't decipher:
>

> WARNING: One or more updates have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:
>
> sys-devel/llvm:0
>
> (sys-devel/llvm-3.4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
> <sys-devel/llvm-3.4[abi_x86_64(-)] required by (media-libs/mesa-9.2.5::gentoo, installed)
>

> This message only apears when I do "emerge -pvDu world." If I do a direct
> "emerge -pvDu llvm" then no conflict message will show.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this?

llvm < 3.4 is specified for the llvm use flag in mesa. So I turned off
that flag.
Re: LLVM Emerge Conflict [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 19:29:43 -0600
Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@chemoelectric.org> wrote:

> llvm < 3.4 is specified for the llvm use flag in mesa.

That does explain things.

Llvm is used for the gallium part of mesa. So won't this require
excluding the gallium use flag as well?

I don't use high-end graphics on my system but I recall that some
time ago I had problems with other stuff if I omitted the gallium
and llvm use flags on mesa. Otherwise I'd eliminate gallium entirely.
At that time, I didn't question the reason because I didn't need to know
and I didn't really care as long as everything worked.

This condition can only be temporary as future releases of mesa
will likely use llvm >= 3.4. Since on my system llvm is not used for
anything else other than mesa gallum, I'll just leave things as they are.

Frank Peters
Re: LLVM Emerge Conflict [ In reply to ]
Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> skribis:
> Llvm is used for the gallium part of mesa. So won't this require
> excluding the gallium use flag as well?

I don’t know. I updated LLVM so I could maintain my Pure language
ebuilds. Otherwise I am not a big fan of clang and so forth.