elimination of the newer JPEG ABI's and the step back to .so.62?
Has any functionality, such as lossless cropping, been affected?

Frank Peters
Re: Libjpeg-Turbo Drops Newer ABIs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> wrote:
> Libjpeg-turbo has been the default jpeg image processor on Gentoo
> for some time now.

Really? I don't have it on any of my systems here and I run (mostly) stable.

What pulls it in?

No answer to your underlying question as I haven't seen then problem
here and didn't find anything in Google.

- Mark
Re: Libjpeg-Turbo Drops Newer ABIs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Libjpeg-turbo has been the default jpeg image processor on Gentoo
>> for some time now.
>
> Really? I don't have it on any of my systems here and I run (mostly) stable.
>
> What pulls it in?

virtual/jpeg pulls media-libs/libjpeg-turbo before media-libs/jpeg.

> No answer to your underlying question as I haven't seen then problem
> here and didn't find anything in Google.

Netiher do I. I have libjpeg-turbo, but I'm unaware of any problems with it.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Re: Libjpeg-Turbo Drops Newer ABIs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> Libjpeg-turbo has been the default jpeg image processor on Gentoo
>>> for some time now.
>>
>> Really? I don't have it on any of my systems here and I run (mostly) stable.
>>
>> What pulls it in?
>
> virtual/jpeg pulls media-libs/libjpeg-turbo before media-libs/jpeg.

To clear up the possible confusion - when the default for a virtual is
changed users who already have the virtual satisfied will not be
prompted to switch packages (and rebuild half their system in the
process). So, if you already have jpeg installed nothing will pull in
libjpeg-turbo.

If you want to switch you'll have to do it manually. I seem to recall
some discussion back when things were changed - not sure if there was
a news item.

Rich
Re: Libjpeg-Turbo Drops Newer ABIs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> Libjpeg-turbo has been the default jpeg image processor on Gentoo
>>> for some time now.
>>
>> Really? I don't have it on any of my systems here and I run (mostly) stable.
>>
>> What pulls it in?
>
> virtual/jpeg pulls media-libs/libjpeg-turbo before media-libs/jpeg.

Interesting, and thanks for the info. Would it switch to libjpeg-turbo
if jpeg is already properly installed?

I suspect it would not or I'd likely have libjpeg-turbo here...

>> No answer to your underlying question as I haven't seen then problem
>> here and didn't find anything in Google.
>
> Netiher do I. I have libjpeg-turbo, but I'm unaware of any problems with it.
>
> Regards.
> --
> Canek Peláez Valdés
> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Cheers,
Mark
Re: Libjpeg-Turbo Drops Newer ABIs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Really? I don't have it on any of my systems here and I run (mostly) stable.
>>>
>>> What pulls it in?
>>
>> virtual/jpeg pulls media-libs/libjpeg-turbo before media-libs/jpeg.
>>

> To clear up the possible confusion - when the default for a virtual is
> changed users who already have the virtual satisfied will not be
> prompted to switch packages (and rebuild half their system in the
> process). So, if you already have jpeg installed nothing will pull in
> libjpeg-turbo.
>
> If you want to switch you'll have to do it manually. I seem to recall
> some discussion back when things were changed - not sure if there was
> a news item.
>
> Rich

Thanks Rich. That's what I guessed in my response to Canek.

It's an interesting point though. Frank stated it's the 'default', but
I guess it's really only the default for new installs. Seems like this
is possibly a job for some eselect processor?

Anyway, glad at this point I don't have it currently installed but it
sounds like I probably should switch one of these days.

Cheers,
Mark
Re: Libjpeg-Turbo Drops Newer ABIs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> wrote:
> Libjpeg-turbo has been the default jpeg image processor on Gentoo
> for some time now. But when I updated my system recently, the latest
> (unstable) libjpeg-turbo-1.3.0-r2 seems to have taken a giant step
> backward. Here is the Gentoo changelog for 1.3.0-r2:
>
> "Revert back to .so.62 with 2 functions backported from .so.8, namely
> jpeg_mem_dest() and jpeg_mem_src(). ABIs .so.7 and .so.8 are dead and
> shouldn't be used anywhere anymore."
>
> This sudden change required the re-emerge of a LOT of packages.
>
> I have not been able to find any background information on the
> reason for this change. Does anyone know the story behind this
> elimination of the newer JPEG ABI's and the step back to .so.62?
> Has any functionality, such as lossless cropping, been affected?
>
> Frank Peters

Looking around a bit more I found this in an Ubuntu notice:

* Update debian/copyright:
- add RSA Data Security copyright (md5).

The rest looks fairly innocuous to me.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libjpeg-turbo/+changelog

I didn't find anything in CERT.

- Mark
Re: Libjpeg-Turbo Drops Newer ABIs [ In reply to ]
Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> skribis:
> Here is the Gentoo changelog for 1.3.0-r2:
>
> "Revert back to .so.62 with 2 functions backported from .so.8, namely
> jpeg_mem_dest() and jpeg_mem_src(). ABIs .so.7 and .so.8 are dead and
> shouldn't be used anywhere anymore."
>
> This sudden change required the re-emerge of a LOT of packages.
>
> I have not been able to find any background information on the
> reason for this change. Does anyone know the story behind this
> elimination of the newer JPEG ABI's and the step back to .so.62?
> Has any functionality, such as lossless cropping, been affected?

This seems to be the story, if you make some inferences:

http://www.libjpeg-turbo.org/About/Jpeg-9

Basically, it says 7, 8, and now 9 were all a mistake.
Re: Libjpeg-Turbo Drops Newer ABIs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 11:28:10 -0700
Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> Frank stated it's the 'default', but
> I guess it's really only the default for new installs.

See these links:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-870799-start-0.html

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-921342.html

There is no problem with the latest libjpeg-turbo-1.3.0-r2. I am
just wondering why the sudden drop of the ABI's. The legacy
libjpeg has gone on to ABI 9 whereas libjpeg-turbo is reverting
to the ancient ABI 6.

Frank Peters
Re: Libjpeg-Turbo Drops Newer ABIs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 13:50:32 -0500
Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@chemoelectric.org> wrote:

> http://www.libjpeg-turbo.org/About/Jpeg-9
>
> Basically, it says 7, 8, and now 9 were all a mistake.

Thanks for this.

When I visited the home page, that link was staring me in the
face but for some reason I just couldn't see it. Maybe because
it was listed in "Position Statements," which seems more political
than technical.

Frank Peters
Re: Libjpeg-Turbo Drops Newer ABIs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 11:28:10 -0700
> Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Frank stated it's the 'default', but
>> I guess it's really only the default for new installs.
>>

> See these links:
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-870799-start-0.html
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-921342.html
>

> There is no problem with the latest libjpeg-turbo-1.3.0-r2. I am
> just wondering why the sudden drop of the ABI's. The legacy
> libjpeg has gone on to ABI 9 whereas libjpeg-turbo is reverting
> to the ancient ABI 6.
>
> Frank Peters

Thanks for the links Frank.

I also have some deep, dark recollection of a news item about this
topic which likely I didn't pay a lot of attention to. I'll probably
update a machine today and make sure there's no obvious problems here
before I do my important machines.

And I do understand that you weren't saying there was a problem - only
that you were having to rebuild a lot of stuff so you were looking for
background on why.

Cheers,
Mark
Re: Libjpeg-Turbo Drops Newer ABIs [ In reply to ]
Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> skribis:
> On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 13:50:32 -0500
> Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@chemoelectric.org> wrote:
>

> > http://www.libjpeg-turbo.org/About/Jpeg-9
> >
> > Basically, it says 7, 8, and now 9 were all a mistake.
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> When I visited the home page, that link was staring me in the
> face but for some reason I just couldn't see it. Maybe because
> it was listed in "Position Statements," which seems more political
> than technical.

My system (mostly stable) seems to have both jpeg implementations
installed, so perhaps, I imagine, it means I could get rid of the
media-libs/jpeg 0.62-ABI I currently have, by 'upgrading' my
media-libs/libjpeg-turbo.

I do not suppose there is any hurry to do anything.
Re: Libjpeg-Turbo Drops Newer ABIs [ In reply to ]
02.08.2013 22:28, Mark Knecht пишет:
>> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> To clear up the possible confusion - when the default for a virtual is
>> changed users who already have the virtual satisfied will not be
>> prompted to switch packages (and rebuild half their system in the
>> process). So, if you already have jpeg installed nothing will pull in
>> libjpeg-turbo.
>>
>> If you want to switch you'll have to do it manually. I seem to recall
>> some discussion back when things were changed - not sure if there was
>> a news item.
>>
>> Rich
>>
> Thanks Rich. That's what I guessed in my response to Canek.
>
> It's an interesting point though. Frank stated it's the 'default', but
> I guess it's really only the default for new installs. Seems like this
> is possibly a job for some eselect processor?

Nope, eselect has nothing to do here, it allows you to choose from
multiple implementations, installed in parallel. Although we can do such
thing with jpeg, i am not sure if it is worth it.

--
Best regards, Sergey Popov
Gentoo developer