Mailing List Archive

Outside of portage (was Re: Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers)
Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> skribis:
> Out of habit, I still use the kernel sources from kernel.org.

This makes me curious what other people are using from outside of
Portage. I install Grub outside of Portage, on the grounds that (a) it
is a bad thing to upgrade unless you have to; and (b) the Grub 2
ebuilds were broken anyway, and I didn’t want to switch back to Grub 1
when moving from Exherbo back to Gentoo. So I used the default GNU
install procedure in /usr/local. If the machine boots, the machine
boots, and I’m satisfied.

(I also use only package.use and not make.conf for use flags, a habit
picked up from using Paludis, and recently got rid of package.mask and
use package.accepted_keywords for all my masking. Lots of redundancy
in Portage these days, maybe a bit too much.)
Re: Outside of portage (was Re: Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Barry Schwartz
<chemoelectric@chemoelectric.org> wrote:
> Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> skribis:
>> Out of habit, I still use the kernel sources from kernel.org.
>
> This makes me curious what other people are using from outside of
> Portage. I install Grub outside of Portage, on the grounds that (a) it
> is a bad thing to upgrade unless you have to; and (b) the Grub 2
> ebuilds were broken anyway, and I didn’t want to switch back to Grub 1
> when moving from Exherbo back to Gentoo. So I used the default GNU
> install procedure in /usr/local. If the machine boots, the machine
> boots, and I’m satisfied.
>
> (I also use only package.use and not make.conf for use flags, a habit
> picked up from using Paludis, and recently got rid of package.mask and
> use package.accepted_keywords for all my masking. Lots of redundancy
> in Portage these days, maybe a bit too much.)

I only install things outside of portage into my home directory
(pretending like I don't have root access), or very rarely install a
single binary into /usr/local/bin. For anything else I'll make my own
ebuild (or try to, anyway) and put it in my local overlay.
Re: Outside of portage (was Re: Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers) [ In reply to ]
Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> skribis:
> I only install things outside of portage into my home directory
> (pretending like I don't have root access), or very rarely install a
> single binary into /usr/local/bin. For anything else I'll make my own
> ebuild (or try to, anyway) and put it in my local overlay.

I use local overlays (the main one also available on GitHub) more than
going outside Portage. But it occurred to me that I also install
calibre outside of Portage, in /usr/local; it’s notorious for not
working when repackaged. And I do have parts of TeXLive installed by
Portage because they get pulled in, but if I actually want to use TeX
I have the real, complete TeXLive distribution installed in my home.
Re: Outside of portage (was Re: Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers) [ In reply to ]
The only thing I use outside of Portage is Tomcat. Because I'm a webapp
developer and the Portage package is a big, steaming PITA.

Sorry about the top-post. Gmail on Android.

... HE

Re: Outside of portage (was Re: Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers) [ In reply to ]
Yo Barry!

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:32:55 -0500
Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@chemoelectric.org> wrote:

> Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> skribis:
> > Out of habit, I still use the kernel sources from kernel.org.
>
> This makes me curious what other people are using from outside of
> Portage.

I install Apache, PHP, Mysql and Sendmail from tarballs because the
ebuilds are not very good and those are performance critical for me.

The rest I let portage manage.

RGDS
GARY
gem@rellim.com Tel:+1(541)382-8588
Re: Outside of portage (was Re: Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Barry Schwartz
<chemoelectric@chemoelectric.org> wrote:
> Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> skribis:
>> Out of habit, I still use the kernel sources from kernel.org.
>
> This makes me curious what other people are using from outside of
> Portage. I install Grub outside of Portage, on the grounds that (a) it
> is a bad thing to upgrade unless you have to; and (b) the Grub 2
> ebuilds were broken anyway, and I didn’t want to switch back to Grub 1
> when moving from Exherbo back to Gentoo. So I used the default GNU
> install procedure in /usr/local. If the machine boots, the machine
> boots, and I’m satisfied.
>
> (I also use only package.use and not make.conf for use flags, a habit
> picked up from using Paludis, and recently got rid of package.mask and
> use package.accepted_keywords for all my masking. Lots of redundancy
> in Portage these days, maybe a bit too much.)

In my case nothing outside of portage. I'm not a software developer or
IT professional. I just want my system to work. All my systems are
amd64 stable with a few ~amd64 packages & libraries, as well as a
couple of flags in make.conf but most flags in package.use. I do use a
couple of overlays but I don't maintain any local overlays, again not
wanting to deal with any of that stuff.

I do use package.mask when I want or need to delay something getting
onto one of my machines that I just don't want to deal with until
others have proved it works. (Think about the new udev coming out...)

Cheers,
Mark
Re: Outside of portage (was Re: Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers) [ In reply to ]
Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> skribis:
> I do use package.mask when I want or need to delay something getting
> onto one of my machines that I just don't want to deal with until
> others have proved it works. (Think about the new udev coming out...)

I moved most my system other than /home out of LVM and into one big
partition in anticipation of that. No way do I want to use
initramfs. That’s a very good udev to think about before
unmasking. (I’ve had to use rescue CDs due to udev upgrades.)

Linux seems to be heading towards a SunOS-like situation where the
distinction between / and /usr is weak. It’s probably way too late to
Re: Outside of portage (was Re: Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers) [ In reply to ]
Barry Schwartz posted on Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:32:55 -0500 as excerpted:

> Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> skribis:
>> Out of habit, I still use the kernel sources from kernel.org.
>
> This makes me curious what other people are using from outside of
> Portage. I install Grub outside of Portage, on the grounds that (a) it
> is a bad thing to upgrade unless you have to; and (b) the Grub 2 ebuilds
> were broken anyway, and I didn’t want to switch back to Grub 1 when
> moving from Exherbo back to Gentoo. So I used the default GNU install
> procedure in /usr/local. If the machine boots, the machine boots, and
> I’m satisfied.
>
> (I also use only package.use and not make.conf for use flags, a habit
> picked up from using Paludis, and recently got rid of package.mask and
> use package.accepted_keywords for all my masking. Lots of redundancy in
> Portage these days, maybe a bit too much.)

FWIW, I use almost all ebuilds (but for the kernel), but beyond ~amd64/no-
multilib (and ~x86 on my netbook, with a 32-bit chroot build image on my
main machine, with an rsync script to sync up), I use three overlays
(kde, mozilla, x11) in addition to my own, unmasking stuff I care about
that takes too long to show up in ~arch, and a number of -9999 live-git
packages.

For the kernel, I've been running direct Linus-kernel live-git for quite
some time now, using my own git-pull, git-whatchanged, make-oldconfig,
build and install scripts, tho I don't normally update during the 2-weeks
or so merge window between release and the following -rc1. Sometimes I
don't update until rc2 or rc3 if I'm really busy.

This works quite well, giving me a chance to see what's coming.
Additionally, I get a chance to find, report, and generally get fixed,
bugs, before they end up in a release kernel. That's actually the most
important bit and the reason I run a number of live-git packages. Git-
bisect is pretty easy, and in a number of cases, I've found that the
releases simply don't have detailed enough changelogs for me to properly
trace bugs -- the git commit logs and occasionally the commit sources
themselves are MUCH more informative, even tho I don't claim to really
know C/C++ or the like (or even python/perl, but I do OK with bash =:^).

That's precisely why I run openrc-9999 as well. I had a couple
experiences where openrc had a regression, and there really isn't a
proper changelog for it, at least that's easy to view before one actually
does the install, to be prepared for what's going to be changing.

So eventually I just started running the live-9999 version of openrc,
updating it perhaps twice a week or so. I had already created a couple
scripts to let me view git-whatchanged on the three (all git-based)
overlays I run, and I expanded them a bit so I could check git-whatchanged
with openrc-9999 and whatever other live-git based packages I run, as
well.

Now, with updates a couple times a week, I not only check the whatchanged
log before I actually do the install, but if anything looks interesting,
I do a git-show on that specific commit, as well, to see the actual patch.

Then I'm prepared for the etc-updates afterward, and have an idea when/
what might go wrong on the first post-update reboot. If something /does/
go wrong, I can either use init=bash on grub's commandline, or assemble
md9 (my backup rootfs and /usr/local partitions) instead of md3 (my main
rootfs and use root=/dev/md9p1 instead of the kernel built-in
root=/dev/md3p1, thus letting me boot, and either fix the problem, or
emerge the previous binpkg to get back to the old version.

Then I can file the bug, and with openrc as with the kernel, I've
reported and gotten fixed a number of bugs before they ever made it to a
full release. But what's really nice about openrc, unlike the kernel, is
that enough of it is in shell scripts that I can actually propose patches
some of the time, spottting and correcting the incorrectly used
commandline option, or at least understanding and explaining why a change
to the scripts won't work, even if I'm not sure how to actually make a
working change that does what they were obviously trying to do.

The only other "regular" live/9999 version package I run is pan, the news
client, which I use via gmane for following this list, BTW. I've been
interested in nntp clients for years, every since I ran the IE/OE4 betas
back in the MSWindows 95 era, before MSWindows 98. So when MS decided to
do the eXPrivacy thing and I switched to Linux in late 2001, after I'd
gotten settled on Linux and started looking around for a community
project to contribute to, the nntp client I had chosen was a logical
first-choice. So I've been involved with pan upstream since 2002 or so,
and have been running a live-vcs version since before gnome and with it
pan, switched from svn to git.

Pan even lost its former primary developer, Charles Kerr, who moved on to
other things, and the project looked dead for a few years. But I and a
couple others kept the lights on in the user list, which continued to
function, and eventually we attracted one developer, than another and
another, and now, pan has an active and healthy development community
once again. =:^)

So of course I want to run pan's live-git/9999 version. =:^) There's
one in the tree, but I run a slightly modified one here, kept in sync
with upstream, altho I don't always know the proper way to setup the
newer USE flags, so some of them only have the side I use setup and
tested. Plus, the newer version has features that aren't in a full
release yet, altho there's another release due this spring/summer that
should have most of them.

Other than that, it depends on what I'm interested in ATM. Right now,
I'm following btrfs, so have the -9999/git-live version of btrfs-progs
installed, tho I'm not actually running a btrfs filesystem yet, as the
feature I'm most interested in (multi-way mirroring, the feature they
/call/ raid1 actually isn't, it's only two-way mirroring) isn't there
yet... they say kernel 3.5-ish.

For a couple months recently I was running the live-git/9999 version of
phonon-vlc, because it had some patches needed for either the kde 4.8 pre-
releases (which I ran, from the kde overlay... I've not tried full kde
live tho, at least not since I gave up on it pre-4.0) or for gcc-4.6.x,
which I unmasked and did a full system rebuild with, a couple months ago.

Awhile back, I was running most of the xorg and mesa stack from live
packages, because that's where the support for my radeon hd4650 graphics
card was. I've not run the xorg/mesa stack live since that support was
released, but I do sometimes run a couple live-git/9999 xorg packages,
which are sometimes required to run the latest xorg-server release, or
because I want to test a new feature in the kernel or mesa, and need a
live xf86-video-ati to do it, which pulls in a live something else, which
pulls in two or three other live xorg-releated packages.

You mentioned grub2. I unmasked and ran the 1.99 version in the tree,
and have been running the 2.00_betaX versions as well. Aside from a bit
of trouble with the initial 1.99 install, and a 2.00_beta1 that would
boot to the grub menu, but would reboot every time I tried to actually
boot a kernel, it's been fine. However, I can mention that while my
system's legacy-BIOS, I upgraded to GPT partitioning a couple years ago,
and had the foresight to setup a BIOS-reserved partition on each of my
four drives. I've actually been quite happy indeed with how grub2 works
with that. =:^)

I also run multiple md/raid devices, mostly 4-way RAID-1, and of course,
grub2 works WAY better with md/raid than did grub-legacy. But, while
with most of the system I have a working and backup raid of the same
size, both 4-way, that wouldn't work for /boot and be able to choose one
or the other. So what I did for /boot is split the 4-way in half, into
two two-way mds, for /boot and the backup /boot. That sort-of worked OK
for grub1, getting the job done but managing it was quite complicated.
By contrast, grub2 makes the boot and backup-boot md/raid management a
BREEZE! =:^)

But the four drives, two as my main /boot, and the other two as a backup
/boot, makes upgrading grub a very nearly risk-free exercise, especially
with GPT and a dedicated BIOS partition for grub2 to use as well. =:^) I
have the following set in /etc/portage/env/sys-boot/grub:

# To keep grub from trying to mount /boot,
# on a normally deactivated md.
DONT_MOUNT_BOOT=1

# Just to be safe, since I handle this myself
INSTALL_MASK="$INSTALL_MASK /etc/default /etc/grub.d grub2-mkconfig"
PKG_INSTALL_MASK="$INSTALL_MASK"

I don't know what the package would do if I didn't set the dont-mount
var, as it can't mount it anyway, since that md/raid device is normally
not active/assembled. But with that, it won't even try it.

That means the grub ebuild simply merges it to /usr/* as it normally
would, and leaves /boot alone.

Then I activate the main boot md and mount it, and run grub2-install
/dev/sda (the first of the four drives, normally set in BIOS to boot)
myself.

Then I reboot. If it doesn't work, I can set the BIOS to boot from sdc
or sdd instead, where the backup boot is located, with a grub that's
still the older version. I can then either fix the issue or revert to
the older grub, from the backup boot.

When I'm satisfied that the first install is working correctly, then I
assemble the raid and mount the main /boot again, and run grub2-install
/dev/sdb (the second spindle on the main /boot). Then I unmount/stop it
and assemble and mount the boot backup md/raid, and run grub2-install
for /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd.

As you can see from the above INSTALL_MASKs I handle the configuration
manually. grub2-mkconfig is all but worthless on my system, taking
longer to install a simple config file than the kernel does to BUILD, or
at least it did when I tried it back on grub-1.99. When I profiled/
traced the problem thru the script, it was due to about 50 calls at ~10
seconds each to grub-probe!

So before I test the backup boot and new grub install to it, I copy over
any grubenv or *.cfg changes from the main boot to the backup boot.

Then I can reboot again, setting the BIOS to boot from the third or
fourth drive, to test that. Once that's tested, I reboot once more and
set the BIOS back to booting from the first drive and main /boot.

So as you can see, upgrading grub isn't any more dangerous for me than
upgrading any other package on the system, especially something like
openrc, which as I said, I run the live version of and generally upgrade
a couple times a week. Grub does happen to be a bit more work to
upgrade, since unlike the rest of the system, at least at this point in
grub2's life, I upgrade on both the main and backup together, tho only
after testing main. For other packages, I only upgrade the backup once
every few months, after I've rebooted since the last upgrade thereby
testing that, and everything, all the daemons and bootscripts, xorg/mesa,
kde, etc, seems to be running normally, preferably when I'm running a
full kde release version, not a prerelease, which I'm now doing about two
months out of every six.

Re: Outside of portage (was Re: Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers) [ In reply to ]
Den 2012-03-23 00:33, Harry Holt skrev:
> The only thing I use outside of Portage is Tomcat.  Because Im a
> webapp developer and the Portage package is a big, steaming PITA.

suggestions go into bugs.g.o

> Sorry about the top-post.  Gmail on Android.

stop using it so, it works for your ebuilds, why not here ?
Re: Outside of portage (was Re: Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:32:55 -0500
Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@chemoelectric.org> wrote:

> I install Grub outside of Portage, on the grounds that (a) it
> is a bad thing to upgrade unless you have to; and (b) the Grub 2
> ebuilds were broken anyway, and I didn’t want to switch back to Grub 1
> when moving from Exherbo back to Gentoo. So I used the default GNU
> install procedure in /usr/local. If the machine boots, the machine
> boots, and I’m satisfied.

For a person in my situation (i.e. single user, desktop system with no
network beyond ISP connection) -- and I'm sure there are a lot of us
out there -- I cannot see any advantage of grub over lilo. The Debian
folks rescued lilo from near extinction because they recognized its utility
and there is a gentoo ebuild available.

I hope lilo stays around forever. It is a sensible choice.

Frank Peters
Re: Outside of portage (was Re: Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Benny Pedersen <me@junc.org> wrote:

> Den 2012-03-23 00:33, Harry Holt skrev:
>
>> The only thing I use outside of Portage is Tomcat. Because Im a
>>
>> webapp developer and the Portage package is a big, steaming PITA.
>>

> suggestions go into bugs.g.o

Been there, done that. Nothing changes, or is really even properly
acknowledged. For example bug 282071 (
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=282071) was closed as a duplicate,
even though it's about ROOT and manager, not about "Examples". The
so-called duplicate 283273 (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283273)
is nearly 3 years old with no resolution, or even work-around.

Not even the nearly-as-old bugs submitted to at least document the
brokenness are resolved (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=277688).

The thing simply has tons of issues that require major pain to work around:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-713224-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-874051-highlight-tomcat.html

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-886428-highlight-tomcat.html

I doubt there are many people that use it, since it's so much easier just
to download the package from Apache.org and drop it in /opt, and it just
works.

I get that there are issues with the Tomcat up-stream, but it doesn't
change the fact that it takes hours to get it working, and updates often
break the work done to get things properly in place.

> Sorry about the top-post. Gmail on Android.
>>

> stop using it so, it works for your ebuilds, why not here ?

Because the benefits outweigh any issues - unlike the Portage Tomcat
package, which is pretty much unusable.

Thx... HH
Re: Outside of portage (was Re: Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers) [ In reply to ]
Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> skribis:
> I hope lilo stays around forever. It is a sensible choice.

Lilo is good; it checks your work for you. The bootloader isn’t really
an operating system feature, in my view, because if you have more than
one OS they are all going to use the same bootloader (not counting
chaining).
Re: Outside of portage (was Re: Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers) [ In reply to ]
Barry Schwartz wrote:
> Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> skribis:
>> I hope lilo stays around forever. It is a sensible choice.
>
> Lilo is good; it checks your work for you. The bootloader isn’t really
> an operating system feature, in my view, because if you have more than
> one OS they are all going to use the same bootloader (not counting
> chaining).

This is odd, I switched away from lilo when I was dual booting two Linux
OS's. The things you are talking about being good are the reasons I
switched. lol

I been using grub, legacy, for a long time and I have no complaints
about it. For me, it works better than lilo ever did. The new grub may
change things tho. May being the key word.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint: