NVRM: components have the same version.
NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 295.20, but
NVRM: this kernel module has the version 290.10. Please
NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
NVRM: components have the same version.

What could be the problem? I've seen no other reports of
this issue.

Frank Peters
Re: Nvidia Update Problem [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 15 February 2012 19:06:58 Frank Peters wrote:
> After updating nvidia-drivers from 290.10 to 295.20-r1, I cannot start X
> and the log files contain this message:
>
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see
> the [ 3482.609] (EE) NVIDIA(0): system's kernel log for additional
> error messages and [ 3482.609] (EE) NVIDIA(0): consult the NVIDIA
> README for details. [ 3482.609] (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
> [ 3482.609]
>
> NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 295.20, but
> NVRM: this kernel module has the version 290.10. Please
> NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
> NVRM: components have the same version.
> NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 295.20, but
> NVRM: this kernel module has the version 290.10. Please
> NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
> NVRM: components have the same version.
>
> What could be the problem? I've seen no other reports of
> this issue.
>
> Frank Peters

You need to rebuild your kernel.
Re: Nvidia Update Problem [ In reply to ]
Den 2012-02-16 01:06, Frank Peters skrev:
> NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 295.20, but
> NVRM: this kernel module has the version 290.10. Please
> NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
> NVRM: components have the same version.
>
> What could be the problem? I've seen no other reports of
> this issue.

try install kernel 3.2.x and hope it works
Re: Nvidia Update Problem [ In reply to ]
Hi Frank,

On 02/15/2012 07:06 PM, Frank Peters wrote:
> After updating nvidia-drivers from 290.10 to 295.20-r1, I cannot start X
> and the log files contain this message:
>
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
> [ 3482.609] (EE) NVIDIA(0): system's kernel log for additional error messages and
> [ 3482.609] (EE) NVIDIA(0): consult the NVIDIA README for details.
> [ 3482.609] (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
> [ 3482.609]
>
> NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 295.20, but
> NVRM: this kernel module has the version 290.10. Please
> NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
> NVRM: components have the same version.
> NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 295.20, but
> NVRM: this kernel module has the version 290.10. Please
> NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
> NVRM: components have the same version.
>
> What could be the problem? I've seen no other reports of
> this issue.

The nvidia-drivers ebuild follows the /usr/src/linux symlink to
find the kernel source to match the module to. It then builds
the Nvidia module and installs it in that kernel version's
part of the /lib/modules/ tree. If you aren't running that
specific kernel, you won't get the new module.

Run "find /lib/modules/ -name nvidia.ko -ls" to see what I mean.

The simplest solution is to replace the symlink, pointing it
at the kernel source tree for the version you are using, then
emerging nvidia-drivers again.

If you want the nvidia driver available for multiple kernel
versions, you will need to emerge once for each version, with
the symlink updated each time.

If you are building from git, or otherwise discarded the kernel
tree, you will have to rebuild the kernel and fix the symlink
before emerging nvidia-drivers again.

HTH,

Phil
Re: Nvidia Update Problem [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:18:55 -0500
Aaron Bauman <bmangentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> You need to rebuild your kernel.

Thanks Aaron and thanks also to Benny for the advice. Rebuilding
the kernel solved the problem and now I can start X with 295.20.

But why did this work? Nvidia-drivers builds its own kernel module
and just installs it with the other kernel modules. I did not
get a new kernel source for this rebuild; I just used the one
I already had (3.2.1). What happened during the rebuilding to
change the new kernel?

Frank Peters
Re: Nvidia Update Problem [ In reply to ]
Gentoo also has the module-rebuild utility to help you find the packages
that you might need to rebuild when you are switching kernel versions.
Re: Nvidia Update Problem [ In reply to ]
Randy Barlow <randy@electronsweatshop.com> skribis:
> Gentoo also has the module-rebuild utility to help you find the packages
> that you might need to rebuild when you are switching kernel versions.

I think it boils down to:

1. Always update the symlink.
2. Don’t clean up after building your kernel.
3. Only after (1) and (2) rebuild the modules.

I’ve forgotten (1) on occasion.
Re: Nvidia Update Problem [ In reply to ]
On 16/02/12 02:06, Frank Peters wrote:
> After updating nvidia-drivers from 290.10 to 295.20-r1, I cannot start X
> and the log files contain this message:
>
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
> [ 3482.609] (EE) NVIDIA(0): system's kernel log for additional error messages and
> [ 3482.609] (EE) NVIDIA(0): consult the NVIDIA README for details.
> [ 3482.609] (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
> [ 3482.609]
>
> NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 295.20, but
> NVRM: this kernel module has the version 290.10.
>
> What could be the problem? I've seen no other reports of
> this issue.

The above error means that the kernel module that is currently loaded is
the old one while the X driver is the new one. In other words, you only
tried to restart X instead of rebooting the machine or terminating X,
doing "modprobe -r nvidia" and then restarting X.

Contrary to other posts, you do NOT need to rebuild your kernel. You
only need to load the new kernel module.
Re: Re: Nvidia Update Problem [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 08:34:24 +0200
Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:

> The above error means that the kernel module that is currently loaded is
> the old one while the X driver is the new one. In other words, you only
> tried to restart X instead of rebooting the machine or terminating X,
> doing "modprobe -r nvidia" and then restarting X.
>
> Contrary to other posts, you do NOT need to rebuild your kernel. You
> only need to load the new kernel module.

Yes, that is exactly what had happened. I have my own X start script
that checks for an already loaded nvidia module and it does not load
the new module if the old module is loaded. After emerging the new
nvidia module, I had just shutdown X and then immediately restarted X
which kept the old module (at least until the next reboot).

Frank Peters