Mailing List Archive

Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advicewanted.
Tbh although I am familiar with lilo from previous use (I started using linux in 1995!), I understood it to be deprecated. I like the interactive option with grub, and it has allowed me to get out of problems in the past. Currently I see no need to go pure 64bit, although I will do at some stage.

------Original Message------
From: Frank Peters
To: gentoo-amd64@lists.gentoo.org
ReplyTo: gentoo-amd64@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advicewanted.
Sent: Dec 9, 2010 15:27

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 11:58:36 +0000
"Paul Jewell" <paul@teulu.org> wrote:

> When I installed my system back in January, I started off with 64 bit
> only, and immediately hit a problem with grub compilation.

Why not just use lilo? Lilo doesn't need the kernel to boot the
system and it compiles on pure 64-bit systems.

I hate to proselytize, but it seems to me that grub has been pushed
into the Linux world without merit. Lilo does the job just as well.

Frank Peters
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advicewanted. [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 17:18:19 +0000
"Paul Jewell" <paul@teulu.org> wrote:

> Tbh although I am familiar with lilo from previous use (I started using
> linux in 1995!), I understood it to be deprecated. I like the interactive
> option with grub, and it has allowed me to get out of problems in the past.

Lilo maintenance has been taken over by people at Debian:

http://lilo.alioth.debian.org/

Frank Peters