I also use KDE and have fluxbox installed as a backup. The processor is
a AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.2Ghz. It will start out with one 4Gb stick of
ram. I plan to expand that later.

What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
obvious for someone new to 64 bit?

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First post here.  I'm usually on gentoo user.  I'm in the process of
> building a new system which will be 64 bit.  I am looking for advice.  I
> would like people to post things that I might run into that one wouldn't
> expect and some things that are different from x86.  I was looking at
> something on my old rig and noticed the USE flag smp.  I didn't know about
> that until I ran up on it.  I learned something by pure dumb luck.
>
> I'm a long time Gentoo user.  Installed it at the early stages of 1.4.  I
> also use KDE and have fluxbox installed as a backup.  The processor is a AMD
> Phenom II X4 955 @3.2Ghz.  It will start out with one 4Gb stick of ram.  I
> plan to expand that later.
>
> What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
> obvious for someone new to 64 bit?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale

Hi Dale,
It's been so long since I've done anything that wasn't 64-bit so
it's hard to answer. I think the 64-bit install guide is quite good.
One thing that I think some folks (me included) do that differs from
the guide (at least the last time I read it) is to use grub-static
instead of grub. I suspect that's because it's 32-bit and more
compatible.

Other than that I can't think of anything I do differently.

Best of luck with the new install. I'm sure it will go great.

Cheers,
Mark
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Nothing much. Use like normal x86 besides:
- Kernel set to Your CPU in Processor Setttings (generic x86_64 is good for
all configurations).
- Accept keyword for "Beta"-like packages is ~amd64 not ~x86
- You don't have to set MMX flag, but set SSE, SSE2 and if Your CPU have it
- SSE3 this will optimize floating point operations.
- Enable SMP (symmetric Multiprocessing) where available - by flags.
- If it's multicore (I have Intel on my LAP so don't know about Your CPU)
set MAKEOPTS to cores count+1.
- If it's multicore try to enable threads flag - this boosts performance
even on single core cpus, but on multicore will make much difference.
- Chceck by eselect what profile of portage you have set as default. If is
not try setting some with Amd64 on path.
- When GCC upgrade check if "multilib" is set - this will enable You to link
with 32-bit libs and 64-bit (as standard).
- In kernel set ciphers and algorithms (like MD5, SHA etc) to amd64 version.

I think that's it. Everything elese should be fine.

--
Mateusz Mierzwiñski

Bluebox Software http://www.blueboxsoft.pl/mateusz-mierzwinski
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:18 -0600
Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
> obvious for someone new to 64 bit?

The first thing to decide is whether or not you want a pure 64-bit
system or a 64-bit system that keeps 32-bit capability.

I am a purist. I left 32-bit programs in the dust a long time ago.
But as a consequence there are some things that I will miss because
they are available in 32-bit packages only. An example would be
Acroread, the PDF viewer, from Adobe. Without Acroread, you will
only view pdf files through the 64-bit xpdf. The Intel C++
compiler is another example. In fact, most commercial software
that bothers to release a Linux version will do so in 32-bit
format only.

So if you need to make use of those offerings, you'll need
to keep 32-bit compatibility.

My own view is that these software developers are way behind
the times and should have long ago made their products in
a 64-bit form. It's not that difficult to do.

Whatever the choice, pure 64-bit or 64/32, Gentoo makes it
easy.

Frank Peters
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> First post here. I'm usually on gentoo user. I'm in the process of
>> building a new system which will be 64 bit. I am looking for advice. I
>> would like people to post things that I might run into that one wouldn't
>> expect and some things that are different from x86. I was looking at
>> something on my old rig and noticed the USE flag smp. I didn't know about
>> that until I ran up on it. I learned something by pure dumb luck.
>>
>> I'm a long time Gentoo user. Installed it at the early stages of 1.4. I
>> also use KDE and have fluxbox installed as a backup. The processor is a AMD
>> Phenom II X4 955 @3.2Ghz. It will start out with one 4Gb stick of ram. I
>> plan to expand that later.
>>
>> What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
>> obvious for someone new to 64 bit?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Dale
>>
> Hi Dale,
> It's been so long since I've done anything that wasn't 64-bit so
> it's hard to answer. I think the 64-bit install guide is quite good.
> One thing that I think some folks (me included) do that differs from
> the guide (at least the last time I read it) is to use grub-static
> instead of grub. I suspect that's because it's 32-bit and more
> compatible.
>
> Other than that I can't think of anything I do differently.
>
> Best of luck with the new install. I'm sure it will go great.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I made a note of it. I certainly
don't want that to mess up. lol

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski wrote:
> Nothing much. Use like normal x86 besides:
> - Kernel set to Your CPU in Processor Setttings (generic x86_64 is
> good for all configurations).
> - Accept keyword for "Beta"-like packages is ~amd64 not ~x86
> - You don't have to set MMX flag, but set SSE, SSE2 and if Your CPU
> have it - SSE3 this will optimize floating point operations.
> - Enable SMP (symmetric Multiprocessing) where available - by flags.
> - If it's multicore (I have Intel on my LAP so don't know about Your
> CPU) set MAKEOPTS to cores count+1.
> - If it's multicore try to enable threads flag - this boosts
> performance even on single core cpus, but on multicore will make much
> difference.
> - Chceck by eselect what profile of portage you have set as default.
> If is not try setting some with Amd64 on path.
> - When GCC upgrade check if "multilib" is set - this will enable You
> to link with 32-bit libs and 64-bit (as standard).
> - In kernel set ciphers and algorithms (like MD5, SHA etc) to amd64
> version.
>
> I think that's it. Everything elese should be fine.

Good tips. I made a note of those too. Honestly, I hadn't even thought
about the changes needed in the kernel. It is a 4 core CPU too.

I hope to start the install in the next few days. I'm still waiting on
parts to finish the build. Post anything you can think of that might be
handy.

Thanks much.

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Frank Peters wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:18 -0600
> Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
>> obvious for someone new to 64 bit?
>>

> The first thing to decide is whether or not you want a pure 64-bit
> system or a 64-bit system that keeps 32-bit capability.
>
> I am a purist. I left 32-bit programs in the dust a long time ago.
> But as a consequence there are some things that I will miss because
> they are available in 32-bit packages only. An example would be
> Acroread, the PDF viewer, from Adobe. Without Acroread, you will
> only view pdf files through the 64-bit xpdf. The Intel C++
> compiler is another example. In fact, most commercial software
> that bothers to release a Linux version will do so in 32-bit
> format only.
>
> So if you need to make use of those offerings, you'll need
> to keep 32-bit compatibility.
>
> My own view is that these software developers are way behind
> the times and should have long ago made their products in
> a 64-bit form. It's not that difficult to do.
>
> Whatever the choice, pure 64-bit or 64/32, Gentoo makes it
> easy.
>
> Frank Peters

Now I have a question. How do I tell Gentoo to make it pure 64 or a mix
of 32 and 64? I have read about this but I don't think I have actually
seen where it is set. Is it a profile selection, USE flag or something
else?

If I decide on one then want to switch to the other, does that require a
reinstall or just a change in settings and a recompile of world?

Since I use KDE, I always use Okular to view pdf files. I assume KDE is
64 bit ready.

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
2010/12/9 Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>

> Frank Peters wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:18 -0600
>> Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
>>> obvious for someone new to 64 bit?
>>>

>> The first thing to decide is whether or not you want a pure 64-bit
>> system or a 64-bit system that keeps 32-bit capability.
>>
>> I am a purist. I left 32-bit programs in the dust a long time ago.
>> But as a consequence there are some things that I will miss because
>> they are available in 32-bit packages only. An example would be
>> Acroread, the PDF viewer, from Adobe. Without Acroread, you will
>> only view pdf files through the 64-bit xpdf. The Intel C++
>> compiler is another example. In fact, most commercial software
>> that bothers to release a Linux version will do so in 32-bit
>> format only.
>>
>> So if you need to make use of those offerings, you'll need
>> to keep 32-bit compatibility.
>>
>> My own view is that these software developers are way behind
>> the times and should have long ago made their products in
>> a 64-bit form. It's not that difficult to do.
>>
>> Whatever the choice, pure 64-bit or 64/32, Gentoo makes it
>> easy.
>>
>> Frank Peters
>>

> Now I have a question. How do I tell Gentoo to make it pure 64 or a mix of
> 32 and 64? I have read about this but I don't think I have actually seen
> where it is set. Is it a profile selection, USE flag or something else?
>
> If I decide on one then want to switch to the other, does that require a
> reinstall or just a change in settings and a recompile of world?
>
> Since I use KDE, I always use Okular to view pdf files. I assume KDE is 64
> bit ready.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

You can set it in KERNEL by disabling 32 bit application support and
recompiling GLIBC and GCC without MULTILIB ;). Try also running 32 bit app.
System is not slower or anything else wrong happens. If You drop 32-bit
support You cannot use WINE and load PE32 apps (aka Win32).

Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]

> Now I have a question.  How do I tell Gentoo to make it pure 64 or a mix of
> 32 and 64?  I have read about this but I don't think I have actually seen
> where it is set.  Is it a profile selection, USE flag or something else?

It's a profile choice. Here's a FAQ link that discusses it.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml

Thing is it's sort of a choice you want to make once and not change in
the future, or so I'm told.

> If I decide on one then want to switch to the other, does that require a
> reinstall or just a change in settings and a recompile of world?
>
> Since I use KDE, I always use Okular to view pdf files.  I assume KDE is 64
> bit ready.

Absolutely 64-bit ready. I'm in it right now. ;-)

- Mark
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 18:26:00 -0600
Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now I have a question. How do I tell Gentoo to make it pure 64 or a mix
> of 32 and 64? I have read about this but I don't think I have actually
> seen where it is set. Is it a profile selection, USE flag or something
> else?

You have to make a symbolic link, /etc/make.profile, to a particular
profile in /usr/share/portage/profiles, i.e. either the multilib (64/32)
or the no-multilib (64-bit) profile. Also, the USE flag "multilib"
indicates to the compiler that both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries should
be built.

Check the Gentoo manual for all the details. You'd best get used to
reading the manual early. Everything is in there.

> If I decide on one then want to switch to the other, does that require a
> reinstall or just a change in settings and a recompile of world?

I'm not sure. It's best to check the manual.

Frank Peters
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Wednesday 08 December 2010

> > One thing that I think some folks (me included) do that differs from
> > the guide (at least the last time I read it) is to use grub-static
> > instead of grub. I suspect that's because it's 32-bit and more
> > compatible.
> >
> > Other than that I can't think of anything I do differently.
> >
> > Best of luck with the new install. I'm sure it will go great.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
> >

> Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I made a note of it. I certainly
> don't want that to mess up. lol
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

In addition to using grub-static, you will need to have the IA32 Emulation enabled in your kernel, else you won't be able to execute grub at all. It's under file formats / Emulations in the menu.

--
Stan & HD Tashi Grad 10/08 Edgewood, NM SWR
PR - Cindy and Jenny - Sammamish, WA NWR
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Dale writes:

> What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
> obvious for someone new to 64 bit?

If you are running databases like mysql, you need to export the databases
and import them later. This is because they are in binary format, and the
datatypes are different in x86 and amd64 world.

Wonko
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Dale posted on Wed, 08 Dec 2010 18:26:00 -0600 as excerpted:

> Frank Peters wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:18 -0600
>> Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
>>> obvious for someone new to 64 bit?
>>>
>> The first thing to decide is whether or not you want a pure 64-bit
>> system or a 64-bit system that keeps 32-bit capability.
>>
>> I am a purist. I left 32-bit programs in the dust a long time ago. But
>> as a consequence there are some things that I will miss because they
>> are available in 32-bit packages only.

> Now I have a question. How do I tell Gentoo to make it pure 64 or a mix
> of 32 and 64? I have read about this but I don't think I have actually
> seen where it is set. Is it a profile selection, USE flag or something
> else?
>
> If I decide on one then want to switch to the other, does that require a
> reinstall or just a change in settings and a recompile of world?
>
> Since I use KDE, I always use Okular to view pdf files. I assume KDE is
> 64 bit ready.

Welcome to 64-bit, Dale! (We both post follow a couple kde lists as well
as certain other gentoo lists, and kde is definitely 64-bit ready, as I
too run a 64-bit-only profile. =:^)

Frank had my thought, but of course my posts tend to beat details to
death, so here goes...

First thing, know that an amd64 (aka x86_64, including Intel and Via 64-
bit x86, NOT just AMD) system can run either 32-bit or 64-bit in hardware,
natively. Which you decide to do for your system is your decision -- on
Gentoo, you can build and run from x86 (32-bit) profiles or amd64 (64-bit)
profiles. If you run 64-bit/amd64, you have a second choice, multilib,
which makes running 32-bit programs on a normally 64-bit profile easy, or
no-multilib, profiles that are 64-bit only. Both Frank and I have chosen
the no-multilib profile.

However, note that it's still possible to do a 32-bit x86 profile chroot
build on an otherwise amd64 no-multilib profile machine, it's just more
work, as now you're effectively building much of the system twice, once
for amd64 no-multilib and once for the x86 chroot. However, despite the
extra work, in some ways this is closer to what some might call the pure
"Gentoo way", because it remains the only way to build /everything/ from
source, both 32-bit and 64-bit. (Multilib uses pre-built 32-bit binaries,
emul-linux-86x-* packages for many libraries and *-bin, example firefox-
bin, for selected 32-bit binaries, while building only 64-bit for most
stuff. However, multilib does build 32-bit and 64-bit for a few critical
toolchain packages like the glibc system library, gcc, portage's sandbox,
etc.) There's a couple reasons you might want to do this, as covered
below.

Which you may /want/ to run is an interesting question. Certainly, 32-bit
is most compatible with as Frank says, generally legacy and mostly closed
source software. On archs other than x86 (ppc, mips, etc), there's often
a definite advantage to staying 32-bit, except for perhaps the kernel
itself and maybe one or two really huge memory sucking things like
databases and their dependencies, because 32-bit code is smaller (memory
addresses double their size to 64-bit on 64-bit) and there's little
instruction-set difference between the bitness variants of the arch, so 32-
bit userspace conserves memory and is simpler. Still, once one gets to 4
gig of RAM, a 64-bit kernel is preferred (even tho, on Linux x86 at least,
a 32-bit kernel can make use of upto 64 gig of RAM, at significant loss of
efficiency), and similarly, once apps (like big databases) start using
gigs of memory for a single app, it's time to go 64-bit. Thus, it's
common on other archs (and an option, tho not fully supported, on gentoo/
amd64) to have a 64-bit kernel, 32-bit userspace, profile, as well as full
32-bit and full 64-bit kernel and userspace.

However, on x86, the 32-bit instruction-set has a number of weaknesses,
chief among them being an extremely limited set of available CPU
registers, that the 64-bit instruction set corrects -- there are many more
available registers in 64-bit mode. For this reason, on x86, the ordinary
negatives of going full 64-bit are reasonably balanced out by the
positives of the less limited instruction set, with the result being that
the 64-bit kernel-space, 32-bit userland model is *FAR* less common. As I
said, there's an option (profile) available for it on Gentoo, but it's not
considered supported. Most folks go either full 64-bit (tho with multilib,
which is supported and in fact the Gentoo default) or stay with 32-bit
only.

So your first choice is whether you want to stick with a standard 32-bit-
only x86 install on your new 64-bit-capable system, or whether you're
ready to go 64-bit. Presumably, you'll go 64-bit kernel /and/ userland,
and that's what the rest of this post assumes.

With that decision out of the way, one now has to decide between a multilib
and a no-multilib profile. A multilib profile is the default, but both
Frank and I have chosen no-multilib as we prefer full 64-bit systems
without the complications of the 32-bit multilib, and we don't have apps
that require 32-bit compatibility be maintained. (I won't speak for
Frank, but I'm sure from seeing my posts in the kde lists and elsewhere
that you know I cannot and will-not install servantware, in the context of
my sig. Since binary-only servantware is what most of the remaining 32-
bit only Linux software is, and I cannot and will not install it, that
leaves me far freer to consider a no-multilib profile, as I'm not bound to
some old 32-bit-binary-only software like some servant bound to his
master. My choices are mine and I'm /not/ telling you what to do --
that's your decision, but at the same time, my feelings are quite strong
on the subject and you're reading my post -- they come with the territory.)

As I said, multilib is the Gentoo default, in part because the same
multilib-based stages can be used to build both multilib and no-multilib
systems, depending on the profile chosen. As long as the system is
multilib, you have the choice of switching profiles, rebuilding, and going
nomultilib, but once you've switched to nomultilib and rebuild the
toolchain (gcc, glibc, etc), it loses the capacity to build the 32-bit
side, and the only (easy, well, "easy" in relative terms) way back to
multilib is to start with a new multilib stage tarball and rebuild. So in
that regard, going no-multilib is a one-way decision. You can make it at
any time as long as you are still multilib, but once no-multilib, you
can't so easily go back.

That said, there /are/ certain complexities and negatives to multilib.
One is simply the time involved to build already long-build toolchain
packages, glibc and gcc especially, since effectively you're building them
twice, once for 32-bit and once for 64-bit. Another is the previously
mentioned not-quite-the-normal-gentoo-way of multilib, with all the pre-
built binaries of emul-linux-x86-* (for libs) and *-bin (for
executables). Those builds by definition have way more generic CFLAGS,
USE flags, etc, than what one may well have if they built them from source.

Third, due to its complexity, multilib is somewhat brittle, and because
most stuff builds as 64-bit only, it's possible for the 32-bit toolchain
side to break and remain broken for some time before its detected, then
you suddenly find yourself without an easy way to upgrade your toolchain
(glibc, gcc, sandbox, binutils, for the most part), since multilib will
try to build both, and the 32-bit side is broken. Not to scare you as
multilib *IS* supported and there are (semi-complex, sometimes involving
extracting files or whole packages from a stage tarball --
FEATURES=buildpkg can help avoid that, BTW) ways out of this bind, that
people can help you with if you find yourself in this situation, and
certainly, the on-the-edge ~amd64 and sometimes still hard-masked-for-
testing stuff that I tend to run made me more susceptible to this than
many, but it was after about the third time of having this happen to me,
that I decided, since I didn't need 32-bit compatibility anyway, I might
as well do away with the headache and go full no-multilib. That was
definitely one of my better decisions; one I've certainly not regretted.
Since then I've appreciated both the lower-complexity/better-robustness
and the faster build-times of no-multilib, and as I said, since I don't
run the servantware that tends to be about the only software left that's
32-bit only, there wasn't any compatibility issues at all to worry about,
here.

Meanwhile, what about that 32-bit chroot option I mentioned? Actually,
there's a whole properly documented Gentoo guide for that, and it's sort
of special case, so I'll skip the details on it, but I'll describe enough
about it so you have some idea why you might want to run one and how it
works.

As it happens, I do actually run one here, tho not for the normal reason,
better 32-bit compatibility. Rather, I have a 32-bit-only Atom based
netbook that I run Gentoo on as well. But my 64-bit system is
sufficiently beefier than the Atom, that I saw no reason to have that puny
single-core Atom with only a gig and a half of memory and a single drive
toiling away for days to build its system or update, say KDE, when I could
do the same thing in hours, on a 32-bit chroot build-image on my main
machine. So that's what I use the 32-bit chroot for, as the build-image
for my Atom based netbook. I have a custom scripted SSH and rsync setup
to keep the necessary parts of the two systems synced (the netbook doesn't
even have a portage tree on it, I mount it into the chroot on my main
machine, tho I do keep the package database on both the build image and
the netbook, for backup purposes), and the 32-bit chroot build image on
the main machine is the way I handled building and now handle updates on
my Gentoo based netbook. =:^)

But whether you use it for something like that, or need better or more
proper "gentoo-like" 32-bit support than multilib gives you, the basic
idea is that you setup a chroot, unpack a normal 32-bit x86 tarball onto
it, selectively mount parts of your main 64-bit system into the chroot,
and then build /most/ of a 32-bit system as you normally would. If you're
using it as a build-image for another system, as I do, you build stuff
like syslog, cron, an appropriate 32-bit kernel, etc, too. But if you're
only using it for better 32-bit support than multilib gives you on your
main 64-bit system, you can skip stuff like that, since the 32-bit chroot
still uses the system kernel and services from its 64-bit host.

If you /do/ decide to run a 32-bit chroot, it takes care of the 32-bit
compatibility stuff better than multilib does, so running no-multilib on
the main system makes sense. One /possible/ exception to that might be
the servantware graphics drivers, since on a multilib system they'll build
both 32-bit and 64-bit interfaces and must be built against the system
kernel. Gamers in particular may be concerned about that. However, I'm
unsure of that, since as already mentioned, servantware including
servantware graphics drivers isn't a viable option for me, so others are
certainly better qualified to answer questions in that area if it's a
concern.

Finally, to answer your multilib question directly, it's a profile
setting. Once you are setting up your 64-bit system, have the stage
tarball installed, and get to the point of selecting your profile, eselect
profile list should do just that, list available profile choices,
including no-multilib. For reference, here's what I get listed here, with
the no-multilib option starred, indicating it's active. (Note that as
I've been no-multilib for some time and no longer have a multilib
toolchain, most of these aren't viable options for me after all, but this
is the list a fresh installing user might be able to choose.)

$ eselect profile list
Available profile symlink targets:
[1] default/linux/amd64/10.0
[2] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop
[3] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/gnome
[4] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde
[5] default/linux/amd64/10.0/developer
[6] default/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib *
[7] default/linux/amd64/10.0/server
[8] hardened/linux/amd64
[9] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
[10] selinux/2007.0/amd64
[11] selinux/2007.0/amd64/hardened
[12] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64
[13] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64/desktop
[14] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64/developer
[15] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64/hardened
[16] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64/server
$

Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Frank Peters posted on Wed, 08 Dec 2010 20:54:37 -0500 as excerpted:

> You have to make a symbolic link, /etc/make.profile, to a particular
> profile in /usr/share/portage/profiles, i.e. either the multilib (64/32)
> or the no-multilib (64-bit) profile. Also, the USE flag "multilib"
> indicates to the compiler that both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries should
> be built.

The newer way to do it is to use eselect profile. AFAIK that's what the
manual says to do now days as well. But all that does is (with list) list
the suitable profiles, so you don't get mixed up and select a stub that's
not intended to be used directly, and (with set) set the symlink one used
to set manually.

But that's something only an old-timer that was also keeping reasonably
updated with the current manual and/or automated way of doing things could
be expected to know. Otherwise, old timers can continue setting the
symlink manually as they always did, and newbies might very well not
understand that all it is is a symlink after all, in the first place.

I'm sure it /does/ categorize me as cranky old-timer, but I must admit to
feeling a bit sad about that loss of "bare metal" configuring knowledge,
amongst the newbies. Oh, well, at least the graphical installer project
got hung up somewhere along the way and isn't considered viable any more.
To many of us old-timer Gentooers, that was SACRILEGE! There's /supposed/
to be a bit of an entry barrier with Gentoo, as it never was meant as a
hand-holding distribution, and the graphical installer... just didn't fit
with what Gentoo /is/ (or at least used to be... and I can't say I'm sad
to see it hewing to its roots once again).

> Check the Gentoo manual for all the details. You'd best get used to
> reading the manual early. Everything is in there.

Dale's been a Gentoo (x86) user for some time and with me is one of the
few Gentoo users active on the KDE lists. So he should (/should/, see the
above lament about the graphical installer, etc, but I /think/ he does)
know all about the handbook. He's only new to amd64.

That said, strongly agreed with the sentiment. Anybody who neglects the
handbook or only reads the install section is doing themselves a HUGE
disservice, making the going on Gentoo **FAR** harder than it needs to be,
for sure. That certainly applies to experienced folks as well,
particularly when they're doing a new install, as things change over the
years, and one can save themselves a LOT of trouble by re-familiarizing
themselves with the handbook on occasion, with a new install being about
as good an occasion as they come, /especially/ when it's to a new arch, as
is the case here.

Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 19:13:18 -0700
Stan Sander <stsander@sblan.net> wrote:

> In addition to using grub-static, you will need to have the
> IA32 Emulation enabled in your kernel, else you won't be able
> to execute grub at all.

If you are building a system largely for personal or even small
business use, you can easily use lilo instead of grub.

Lilo is still actively maintained and is my personal preference.

Frank Peters
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Stan Sander wrote:
> Wednesday 08 December 2010
>

>>> One thing that I think some folks (me included) do that differs from
>>> the guide (at least the last time I read it) is to use grub-static
>>> instead of grub. I suspect that's because it's 32-bit and more
>>> compatible.
>>>
>>> Other than that I can't think of anything I do differently.
>>>
>>> Best of luck with the new install. I'm sure it will go great.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Mark
>>>

>> Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I made a note of it. I certainly
>> don't want that to mess up. lol
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>

> In addition to using grub-static, you will need to have the IA32 Emulation enabled in your kernel, else you won't be able to execute grub at all. It's under file formats / Emulations in the menu.

Glad you posted this. I looked at the USE flags for grub not a package
called grub-static. That seems to be two different beasts. I never
knew that package existed. Would emerging the plain grub with the
static USE flag give the same results? I would think not else they
would just have one package but am curious just the same.

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Frank Peters wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 18:26:00 -0600
> Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Now I have a question. How do I tell Gentoo to make it pure 64 or a mix
>> of 32 and 64? I have read about this but I don't think I have actually
>> seen where it is set. Is it a profile selection, USE flag or something
>> else?
>>

> You have to make a symbolic link, /etc/make.profile, to a particular
> profile in /usr/share/portage/profiles, i.e. either the multilib (64/32)
> or the no-multilib (64-bit) profile. Also, the USE flag "multilib"
> indicates to the compiler that both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries should
> be built.
>
> Check the Gentoo manual for all the details. You'd best get used to
> reading the manual early. Everything is in there.
>

>> If I decide on one then want to switch to the other, does that require a
>> reinstall or just a change in settings and a recompile of world?
>>
> I'm not sure. It's best to check the manual.
>
> Frank Peters

I know about the profiles. I been running Gentoo a while. It's just
been x86 to this point. When I run eselect list profile, nothing 64 bit
shows up at all. I guess this is because of my settings in make.conf
tho. Since I can't see the FULL list, I had to ask. Could someone post
the output of eselect list profile from a 64 bit system? That would
clear up some muddy water for me.

I'm making notes on all this. I hope to get it right on the first
install. ;-)

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Alex Schuster wrote:
> Dale writes:
>

>> What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
>> obvious for someone new to 64 bit?
>>
> If you are running databases like mysql, you need to export the databases
> and import them later. This is because they are in binary format, and the
> datatypes are different in x86 and amd64 world.
>
> Wonko

I don't have anything that I generated anyway. I have something
installed that KDE pulled in if I recall correctly. I'll let KDE start
off fresh tho.

This does bring me to another thought tho. Would I be able to copy my
/home directory over from a x86 system? I'm thinking I would but want
to make sure.

Thanks

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski wrote:

> 2010/12/9 Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com <mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com>>
>
> Frank Peters wrote:
>
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:18 -0600
> Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com <mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> What are some things that I should watch for and enable
> that isn't so
> obvious for someone new to 64 bit?
>

> The first thing to decide is whether or not you want a pure 64-bit
> system or a 64-bit system that keeps 32-bit capability.
>
> I am a purist. I left 32-bit programs in the dust a long time
> ago.
> But as a consequence there are some things that I will miss
> because
> they are available in 32-bit packages only. An example would be
> Acroread, the PDF viewer, from Adobe. Without Acroread, you will
> only view pdf files through the 64-bit xpdf. The Intel C++
> compiler is another example. In fact, most commercial software
> that bothers to release a Linux version will do so in 32-bit
> format only.
>
> So if you need to make use of those offerings, you'll need
> to keep 32-bit compatibility.
>
> My own view is that these software developers are way behind
> the times and should have long ago made their products in
> a 64-bit form. It's not that difficult to do.
>
> Whatever the choice, pure 64-bit or 64/32, Gentoo makes it
> easy.
>
> Frank Peters
>

> Now I have a question. How do I tell Gentoo to make it pure 64 or
> a mix of 32 and 64? I have read about this but I don't think I
> have actually seen where it is set. Is it a profile selection,
> USE flag or something else?
>
> If I decide on one then want to switch to the other, does that
> require a reinstall or just a change in settings and a recompile
> of world?
>
> Since I use KDE, I always use Okular to view pdf files. I assume
> KDE is 64 bit ready.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)
>

> You can set it in KERNEL by disabling 32 bit application support and
> recompiling GLIBC and GCC without MULTILIB ;). Try also running 32 bit
> app. System is not slower or anything else wrong happens. If You drop
> 32-bit support You cannot use WINE and load PE32 apps (aka Win32).
>
> --
> Mateusz Mierzwiñski
>
> Bluebox Software http://www.blueboxsoft.pl/mateusz-mierzwinski

I don't use Wine. I have never heard of PE32 so I don't guess I have a
need for it either. lol It sounds like I should go pure 64 bit.
Anyone disagree with that? Someone mentioned pdf files but I can use
KDE's program for that as I do now. I can use OOo as a backup too.

Also, there is no server type stuff on here and no plans to install
any. It's basically a desktop system built like a freaking tank. Here
is a link but I'm not finished yet. I should have a couple more things
in there in the next few days. If you look good, you will notice why I
can't start the install yet. Hint, something is missing. If you notice
it right off, pat yourself on the back. :-D

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5640/201012070003cutscale.jpg

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Frank Peters wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 19:13:18 -0700
> Stan Sander<stsander@sblan.net> wrote:
>

>> In addition to using grub-static, you will need to have the
>> IA32 Emulation enabled in your kernel, else you won't be able
>> to execute grub at all.
>>
> If you are building a system largely for personal or even small
> business use, you can easily use lilo instead of grub.
>
> Lilo is still actively maintained and is my personal preference.
>
> Frank Peters

I used lilo when I first started using Linux, Mandrake 9.1 days. When I
started with Gentoo, I switched to grub. I can't even imagine being
without grub. I know lilo has some strong points and is maintained but
I still prefer grub. I also read that a new grub is in the pipe too.
Supposed to be much better. That's the rumor anyway.

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Duncan wrote:
> [...]
> I've been no-multilib for some time and no longer have a multilib
> toolchain, most of these aren't viable options for me after all, but this
> is the list a fresh installing user might be able to choose.)
>
> $ eselect profile list
> Available profile symlink targets:
> [1] default/linux/amd64/10.0
> [2] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop
> [3] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/gnome
> [4] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde
> [5] default/linux/amd64/10.0/developer
> [6] default/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib *
> [7] default/linux/amd64/10.0/server
> [8] hardened/linux/amd64
> [9] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
> [10] selinux/2007.0/amd64
> [11] selinux/2007.0/amd64/hardened
> [12] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64
> [13] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64/desktop
> [14] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64/developer

I read the whole post and it explained a lot. I think you read my mind
and posted the list of profiles available too. I asked for that in
another reply and when I hit send, I saw your replies. There was the
list of profiles. You got ESP or do us Gentooers think alike? lol

I'm liking the option you are using. It seems clean and simple. Is #4
no-multilib or multilib? I suspect it is multi. I ask because as you
already know I use KDE and I also use the kde profile in x86. The stuff
8 and below are way over my head. I'm not even thinking of going into
that area. ;-)

I do have nvidia video cards. I assume the nvidia-drivers package will
work fine with no-multilib? The way I am reading things it will but I
do want drivers that work.

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 08 December 2010 9:18:30 pm Dale wrote:
> Frank Peters wrote:
> > On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 18:26:00 -0600
> >
> > Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Now I have a question. How do I tell Gentoo to make it pure 64 or a mix
> >> of 32 and 64? I have read about this but I don't think I have actually
> >> seen where it is set. Is it a profile selection, USE flag or something
> >> else?
> >
> > You have to make a symbolic link, /etc/make.profile, to a particular
> > profile in /usr/share/portage/profiles, i.e. either the multilib (64/32)
> > or the no-multilib (64-bit) profile. Also, the USE flag "multilib"
> > indicates to the compiler that both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries should
> > be built.
> >
> > Check the Gentoo manual for all the details. You'd best get used to
> > reading the manual early. Everything is in there.
> >
> >> If I decide on one then want to switch to the other, does that require a
> >> reinstall or just a change in settings and a recompile of world?
> >
> > I'm not sure. It's best to check the manual.
> >
> > Frank Peters
>
> I know about the profiles. I been running Gentoo a while. It's just
> been x86 to this point. When I run eselect list profile, nothing 64 bit
> shows up at all. I guess this is because of my settings in make.conf
> tho. Since I can't see the FULL list, I had to ask. Could someone post
> the output of eselect list profile from a 64 bit system? That would
> clear up some muddy water for me.
>
> I'm making notes on all this. I hope to get it right on the first
> install. ;-)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

I think profile lists are dependent on which stage3 you install: x86 or amd64.
I think the reason you don't see amd64 profile right now is because you
currently don't have amd64 stage3 yet in your PC. I could be wrong though.

I personally run multilib.

$ eselect profile list
Available profile symlink targets:
[1] default/linux/amd64/10.0
[2] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop
[3] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/gnome
[4] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde *
[5] default/linux/amd64/10.0/developer
[6] default/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib
[7] default/linux/amd64/10.0/server
[8] hardened/linux/amd64
[9] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
[10] selinux/2007.0/amd64
[11] selinux/2007.0/amd64/hardened
[12] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64
[13] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64/desktop
[14] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64/developer
[15] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64/hardened
[16] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64/server

Thomas
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Thomas M wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 December 2010 9:18:30 pm Dale wrote:
>
>> Frank Peters wrote:

>>> You have to make a symbolic link, /etc/make.profile, to a particular
>>> profile in /usr/share/portage/profiles, i.e. either the multilib (64/32)
>>> or the no-multilib (64-bit) profile. Also, the USE flag "multilib"
>>> indicates to the compiler that both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries should
>>> be built.
>>>
>>> Check the Gentoo manual for all the details. You'd best get used to
>>> reading the manual early. Everything is in there.

>>> I'm not sure. It's best to check the manual.
>>>
>>> Frank Peters
>>>
>> I know about the profiles. I been running Gentoo a while. It's just
>> been x86 to this point. When I run eselect list profile, nothing 64 bit
>> shows up at all. I guess this is because of my settings in make.conf
>> tho. Since I can't see the FULL list, I had to ask. Could someone post
>> the output of eselect list profile from a 64 bit system? That would
>> clear up some muddy water for me.
>>
>> I'm making notes on all this. I hope to get it right on the first
>> install. ;-)
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>
> I think profile lists are dependent on which stage3 you install: x86 or amd64.
> I think the reason you don't see amd64 profile right now is because you
> currently don't have amd64 stage3 yet in your PC. I could be wrong though.
>
> I personally run multilib.
>
> $ eselect profile list
> Available profile symlink targets:
> [1] default/linux/amd64/10.0
> [2] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop
> [3] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/gnome
> [4] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde *
> [5] default/linux/amd64/10.0/developer
> [6] default/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib
> [7] default/linux/amd64/10.0/server
> [8] hardened/linux/amd64
> [9] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
> [10] selinux/2007.0/amd64
> [11] selinux/2007.0/amd64/hardened
> [12] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64
> [13] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64/desktop
> [14] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64/developer
> [15] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64/hardened
> [16] selinux/v2refpolicy/amd64/server
>
> Thomas

I figured it was something like that. I also know now that the kde
profile is multilib too. I figured it was. I'm learning.

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
Dale posted on Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:32:29 -0600 as excerpted:

> I used lilo when I first started using Linux, Mandrake 9.1 days. When I
> started with Gentoo, I switched to grub. I can't even imagine being
> without grub. I know lilo has some strong points and is maintained but
> I still prefer grub. I also read that a new grub is in the pipe too.
> Supposed to be much better. That's the rumor anyway.

Grub is nice on local machines, due to the ability to use its interactive
shell. That can be quite useful when the config is screwed up for some
reason. On remote machines where the interactivity until booted is much
lower anyway, that doesn't matter so much (if at all) and lilo is as good,
possibly better.

As for grub2... yes, it's in the pipe... as it has been for /years/.
Unfortunately, they did the same thing kde did and pulled support for
their current stable version LONG before the new version was stable,
leaving users between a rock and a hard place. Fortunately, grub is far
smaller and less complex than all of kde, and distributions were able to
step in and pick up the slack (yeah, free software, try doing that with
servantware when the original company abandons it), continuing to both
keep it building with new toolchains, and add new features like support
for ext4, etc.

Unfortunately, last I knew, grub2 wasn't even officially on-disk-format-
stable yet, tho with ubuntu and etc already using it, it's getting more
difficult to change it, and they were /probably/ done with changes, but at
least last I knew, it wasn't official, yet.

FWIW, there's a (masked) grub-2 in the tree, that I've been thinking about
playing with at some point, but I've not gotten to it. When I eventually
do, I'll know quite a bit more about it, but grub1 (0.97-rX) has continued
to work fine for me, so no rush.

Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted. [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 08 December 2010 23:23:18 Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > First post here. I'm usually on gentoo user. I'm in the process of
> > building a new system which will be 64 bit. I am looking for advice. I
> > would like people to post things that I might run into that one wouldn't
> > expect and some things that are different from x86. I was looking at
> > something on my old rig and noticed the USE flag smp. I didn't know
> > about that until I ran up on it. I learned something by pure dumb luck.
> >
> > I'm a long time Gentoo user. Installed it at the early stages of 1.4. I
> > also use KDE and have fluxbox installed as a backup. The processor is a
> > AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.2Ghz. It will start out with one 4Gb stick of
> > ram. I plan to expand that later.
> >
> > What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
> > obvious for someone new to 64 bit?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dale
>
> Hi Dale,
> It's been so long since I've done anything that wasn't 64-bit so
> it's hard to answer. I think the 64-bit install guide is quite good.
> One thing that I think some folks (me included) do that differs from
> the guide (at least the last time I read it) is to use grub-static
> instead of grub. I suspect that's because it's 32-bit and more
> compatible.
>
> Other than that I can't think of anything I do differently.
>
> Best of luck with the new install. I'm sure it will go great.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Hi Dale,

I run x86 on one machine (Asus EEE 901) and amd64 on all other machines.
Last time I installed, I followed the standard Gentoo guide and I didn't have
to use "grub-static".
Not sure when this was fixed, but the current grub in portage works fine on
64bit.

The only thing I can think of that is different is that you will need the
nsplugin-wrapper still for some 32bit plugins to work in firefox.

--
Joost Roeleveld

1 2 3  View All